Re: Music Writing

Any topics that would be off-topic in any other forum belong here. Talk about general topics.
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

Okay, there are any things I am interested in for a short time, and then I forget, like most DS games, or things I like doing, but I don''t have enough talent for it, like drawing a manga (shame really, I''ve got this awesome idea for a few years now, but...)
But there''s this one thing I''ve been interested in for my whole live, and I''ve got talent for it. It''s singing.
Skip this if you want to tl;dr wrote:I could tell you how music brought my parents together and how I grew up with it, but that would be boring for you and for me. I''ll just start about 2 years ago (or, more like, 1,75 years ago, but anyway).

I was into stick figures. Yes, stick figures. So I youtubed it. I quickly found a video (which I later found out was stolen, but anyway... (again)) with a music track from this band Motion City Soundtrack. I loved it, and became a big big fangirl (lol jk I''m male). Of course I learned their lyrics and melodies by heart, but it wasn''t really piano stuff (I play piano), so I couln''t try it without the original tracks, which would make things a little awkward.

Later, I found All Time Low (ever heard of them? I believe they''ve become a bit more polular lately). Not really calm stuff either, but they had this one song I loved that translated awfully well to piano music. I got more into singing and playing.

Earlier this year, I had my first shot at playing guitar. I wanted to play this one song from Motion City Soundtrack''s new album I didn''t think would be too hard. It wasn''t too hard to play, but the vocals were actually quite complex. It went too high at times, even for my high voice (I''m thirteen). Eventually I mastered it, and everyone said it was awesome. So I started learning more guitar songs. But I always dreamed of writing my own song. And I did.
Here are the lyrics of the song I wrote, and I wonder what other people think of them.
The Way It Spins wrote:I like my life this way
My universe is good
I would like to see this place untouched forever
But I finally understood

That the way you see the world will change
And you sould start to rearrange the dreams of which you future self will fruit

I know our world is fine the way it spins
But things are changing
And if you don''t follow, you won''t win
On location I can''t sell you any gold
But if you need my memories
Be sure to let me know

Because, my friend,
I hope you do not long to stay
You just came too far to go and turn back at this darkened time of day
(The work repays the favor)

By the time I noticed you were falling
You already hit the bottom
I can reach my hand but you must climb and not let go
Drowning at the bottom of the ocean where your bloody eyes can''t see
You should agree that you need help now

I know the world is fine the way it spins
etc.

When I descended from the stairs of heaven
With the fallen angel of despair
My lungs were tied by armor-piercing silence
Thrown around by storms that weren''t there

If chande had not arrived in time
Then quietude would still be mine
Hand we not said that all was fine
In chorus or among those lines

I know the world is fine the way it spins
etc.
I recorded it today, but it's not complete yet...
The Way It Spins v0.2
The Way It Spins v0.2

Oh, and sorry for the two ''s where there''s supposed to be one. My keyboard hates me.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Tkallab wrote:and I need a title.
"The way it spins"
Tkallab(imported)

Niiiiiiice, I think I'm gonna go with that! Thanks!
UltimateDemonDog(imported)

Post by UltimateDemonDog(imported) »

Nice, nice. For me, that's one of the things that I don't have enough talent for. I write songs, but I can't sing for my life. Although, people do say my songs tend to be rather depressing, as in like Linkin Park kind of depressing, so I tend to not tell anyone about it. Is there a story behind this song? I like to write lyrics when I'm stressed about something, so my songs always have a backstory.
Tkallab(imported)

Yeah, one of my friends is on the verge of having to do this year over again, so I'm trying to tell him that he has to work harder the creative way.

Do you just write lyrics, or also the music? Or do you just do that in your head? (that's what I do.) Anyway, I'd like to see it sometime.

Yea, I always have an idea of what the music should sound like, but I imagine the songs played with an electric guitar. I've seen guitar sheet music, and I honestly don't understand it at all, so I could never really write the music. :-/ I only have one non-depressing song and it's honestly not very good, even though it has the most solid story, and my favorite one is unfortunately depressing enough to be Linkin Park-worthy.
Tkallab(imported)

Heh, I don''t get sheet music either, but I know eight chords or something, and that works. With the G, Eb, C and D, everything sounds great already, and the rest is for making it awesome.
But, you don''t want to show off your songs? It feels kinda egocentric to let this topic be about mine.

I suppose there's no harm in it. Just be warned, I wrote this song the same way I always write stories: with the character dying in the end. That's why I don't write often, I can't help it.
Open Your Eyes wrote:I see you, deep in a dream.
Look through the lies...
See truth inside...

Do you see me, within your dream?
Among the others,
Among the free?

I've been pushed around all my life
But the reaper soon will raise his scythe.
I say they're wrong
They don't care
and all you do is stare.

They say
Hey! You!
Look who's laughing now
as they push me to the ground.
Is nobody on my side?
Is your love another lie?

I've been hated for all these years
and I've drowned in all my tears.
Just look past all the lies
and open your eyes.

I feel you watching me in my dreams
Among the outcasts.
Among the thieves

Look at me, what do you see?
This isn't how it has to be.
You stole my heart, you walked away.
And I still hear them say...

They say
Hey! You!, etc.

I've been hated, etc

I just
Can't stand seeing you anymore.
You never saw me once before.
But life no longer has me bound,
My blood seeps into the ground.

Is this really the end for me?
Now the you'll never truly see
Now a victim slowly dies
Because you won't open your eyes.
It may seem long, but that's mostly because the lines are mostly very short. I actually like it, but it's just so violent! My writing style just really doesn't fit my character. If I can get my hands on Sibelius, I could write the music for piano. Or saxophone. Or really any non string instrument because even if Sibelius could write it, I wouldn't be able to figure it out anyway.
Tkallab(imported)

I see what you mean, it's indeed really dark. I actually tried to write a song like that, but it didn't turn out so well :/ But I kept part of the melody in this song.
Your song really does imply that these feelings are yours, which is good. I don't know if they really are yours, but I hope you're not suicidal ;)
I imagine this either with beautiful piano music or several electric guitars and a lot of screaming. Am I right?

Ugh, no screaming please. I imagined the "dreaming" parts to be piano, but the rest is just a single guitar in my mind. No, I'm not suicidal, though I have thought about it before... but I often think crazy things at night that I realize are redonkulous when I wake up in the morning. I just tend to ramble to myself when I'm tired ^o) . As a matter of fact, I write most of my songs at night.