Re: Telefang 2 PTP - Proper Translation Project

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Sir Allan Newlight(imported)

Post by Sir Allan Newlight(imported) »

Can you share with me DaVince via PM how you edit text in Telefang 2? I think about make Polish Translation of Telefang Games. But I do not know how to do it.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

I was writing a PM but decided to just post it publicly, in case any one else asks a similar question.

First off, thanks for being interested! If you're going to base the Polish translation off of the English one, I recommend you wait until that's a bit further along. If you're planning to translate from the Japanese text instead (which is better), please read on.
And read all of it. ;)

I'd like to start by saying that since this project and everything around it is still a work in progress, all new changes, fixes and improvements in the new English hack are still in a private folder shared by the team.
There is, however, a public release of all the tools and text dumps that the older bootleg translation used, which this one is also based off of: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2-English-Translation-Project

Download that entire Git repository and you should be good to go.

The most important files in there in order to make your translation are:
The file that contains all the bootleg text. This is the text file that's inserted into the GBA ROM, so it's the one you edit if you want to translate it. (But please don't base your text on the bootleg text, because it's really bad: the grammar is bad, it constantly drops things that are said in the original version, and it even gets some facts and events wrong!)

The Japanese text dumps. tf2_power_script_000.txt to tf2_power_script_013.txt contain all original Japanese text. If you can read Japanese, you can use these to translate directly from Japanese to Polish (into the file shown above).

Finally, some notes I collected while I was translating:

Code: Select all

In the game, the text cuts off lines that are too long automatically.
With the variable width font ASM hack, words and letters are likely to get chopped in half if they don't fit.
So it's recommended to insert a <LINE> manually according to these guidelines:

- Line 1 can safely fit 32 characters. (Max 35, more risk of wrapping)
- Line 2 can safely fit 28 characters. (Max 30, more risk of wrapping)

Also, put <END> at the end of each text segment.

Example:
HERO: I am saying a long line of<LINE>text here which needs to be<LINE>properly cut off.<END>

Using (RED)text(/RED) makes that text red (in the new version).
Lines usually start with (RED)Speaker name:(/RED) text.
() brackets in the Japanese text dumps should become red text in the translation.
Don't put # in your script, it breaks compilation.

Terms & name standards
======================
デンジュウ = Denjuu
デンジュウカイ = (the) Denjuu World
かいぞう = Fusion (evolution)
ぶんり = Separation. This is for reverse fusion.
ひほう = treasure

マツキヨおじさん = Mister Matsukiyo

Thank you. But I take now new task to do. Using placeholders for instering extra T-Fangers and Denjuu. As I have right. We have 13 places for new T-Fanger sprites <As RacieB and Sanky found> And 55 <As I think> Places for Denjuu.
SonicZ16(imported)

Post by SonicZ16(imported) »

I feel a little odd, suddenly just jumping in and changing the topic, but anyway, I just wanted to take the time to say I really appreciate what you all are doing here! I'd love to see it when it's complete!

That's all, good luck all of you!
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

SonicZ16 wrote:I feel a little odd, suddenly just jumping in and changing the topic, but anyway, I just wanted to take the time to say I really appreciate what you all are doing here! I'd love to see it when it's complete!

That's all, good luck all of you!
Thank you!

(Also... You're actually bringing the topic back on track with that comment. xD )

Decision time!
There's these laboratories in TF2 where you can do your fusion evolution. The original Japanese has a name that can be read in different ways, so I'm asking you guys: which name do you prefer?
  • Fusion Shop
  • Fusion Store
  • Fusion House
  • Fusion Lab
Decision made: after 4 unanimous votes, we're going with Fusion Lab. It has to be said that this translation is a bit less accurate (store/house are the more accurate ones), but heck... It just sounds nicer. :)

I vote for FUSION LAB.

So your translation is going to be greater than this we know. Some betas you plan to release?
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

That depends on what the rest of the team wants, but I do want to make alpha releases from time to time! We'll see what happens.
Progress:

About 50 new lines have been translated. These are miscellaneous lines including secret Denjuu phone call text, the store text, fusion lab text (and tutorial), some random lines from cutscenes with pictures and some lines about a button pushing puzzle.

We also managed to discover an entirely new easter egg because of a rather intriguing bit of text we found. It's pretty sweet, since it involves a new phone number that existed for real! xD

Nice... Can you share that Number? I try test it.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

...Not directly. Not yet.

Instead, I will refer you to the game manual. See if you can solve the riddle. The result is a bit more satisfying if you have to figure it out yourself. :)
Progress:
Cutscenes translated up to here:

So halfway through the first encounter with Rex. =)

Any more progress?