Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

Yeah, since kmeisthax has done a ton of amazing work the last few months, he's brought the project to a point where we can edit and insert text more easily (using a spreadsheet). The biggest thing with the project right now is to start translating more, and that's on Kimbles and me.
Imaynotbehere4long

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

Oh, okay. It looked like you were gonna put the project on hold again, so it's good to know that's not the case.
Imaynotbehere4long

Hey, I know about the Discord channel, but could you still post monthly updates here? I'd like to be able to see what was accomplished without having to look through all the clutter other conversations.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

So last month's update didn't happen because personal reasons. Read: I was too busy binge-watching some anime nobody cares about anymore but I like about as much as I like EarthBound. There are a few small changes I did make this month, however, so there will be a new beta rolled out on the 15th. (Ironically, this new version will also be produced while waiting for a redeye flight like last time.)

For the record, I have shifted development priority over to bootstrapping Bugsite and Telefang 2 disassemblies. I'm running low on things which are a development priority in Telefang and our primary bottleneck right now is translation resources. Bugsite has a lot of weird features that actually make it easier to disassemble; though it requires writing a lot more tools for them. Namely, I've already written a new assembler for Bugsite's virtual machine instruction set, and am finishing up work on a tool to build Bugsite's linkage directory. (yes, this game has it's own filesystem) After that I'll probably run another QA pass on Telefang so that we have material for the September release, and see if the translators have added new strings to import.

If you know any translators who have good Japanese comprehension and are willing to work on a fan project for an old GBC game please send them to us. I don't know when Kimbles or DaVince will have free time to start translating again, and Bugsite adds a whole lot more work onto them anyway.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

wrote:If you know any translators who have good Japanese comprehension and are willing to work on a fan project for an old GBC game please send them to us. I don't know when Kimbles or DaVince will have free time to start translating again, and Bugsite adds a whole lot more work onto them anyway.
I wish I could contribute, but frankly translating takes effort and energy I can't bring out without risking my own health (hence there isn't any sort of update from my side). I would also love it if this got more people who know Japanese interested.
Imaynotbehere4long

kmeisthax wrote:I was too busy binge-watching some anime nobody cares about anymore
Which one? I'm curious.
wrote:translating takes effort and energy I can't bring out without risking my own health
Forgive my ignorance, but how does translating affect your health? I mean, it doesn't involve any physical activity; you're just thinking about how to transfer meaning from one language to another, right?
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Translating takes a hell of a lot of time. More than I've spent on the disassembly work, I'd argue. You see, when I go and make some fix to the Telefang code, it's usually a one-and-done process. Find what resource or code is incorrect or untranslated, extract it, change it, inject it back in, done. Most of what I did last year was -redoing- work that didn't have proper source code attached, so that it'd be easier to finish the programming side of the project. I don't plan to disassemble the entirety of Telefang either, and that's because I don't need to do so in order to facilitate the translation project.

In comparison, translators need to look through the entire game's script, which is many thousands of lines of text. Even "unused lines" need to be translated and checked. A typical Telefang message block includes up to 256 messages, and there's about 20 message blocks. So that's over 5,000 messages that translators have to translate, proofreaders have to check, and so on. Bugsite is another 8,000 lines. (note: one Telefang message contains multiple lines, so it's a similar-size script)

Just because translation is deskwork doesn't mean it isn't stressful, either. I don't know what DaVince is referring to in particular, and it would be highly inappropriate to ask. But I can imagine a whole host of personal reasons why he can't do translations right now.

For those who didn't read the link I included in a few posts ago, the anime in question was Rozen Maiden's third season.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

I have major respect for the tons of prior knowledge required to even work on a disassembly. For translation, I would say that while everything you mentioned is true I could have been doing very rough translations in the meantime.

But in the end, translation is still a job people study full time for. It takes some of your mental energy to do, especially at my level of comprehension (non-fluent). To translate and word the lines in a proper fashion, to do research on what something specific could mean, as much as I enjoy all of it, it takes time and effort I can't bring up for the time being.

You mentioned the example of streaming after work before, but frankly streaming is sitting back, relaxing, winding down and just playing games. Translating is a hobbby of mine but it's much more mentally engaging, so you need the mental energy to do it at the end of the day. A person only has so much energy on a day, however.

The thing is, after I've depleted my mental capacity from working all day, I can't be doing more mental work on top of that. It'll pile up on the stress I'm already feeling, and the physical effects that prolonged stress have on a person's body are well-documented.

For me, this is exactly what is happening right now. I have some very important, deadline-bound stuff to finish even though I had a bit of a burnout a few months ago. I've been continuously overexerting myself with work I have to do and, at the same time, fighting off my own tendencies to become lax and procrastinate (possibly as a result?). But I can't handle much more than I'm already doing in my life, which is a real bummer to both the project as a whole and me personally.
wrote:Just because translation is deskwork doesn't mean it isn't stressful, either.
As far as I'm aware, any work, desk-based or not, can be detrimental to a person's health as long as you overexert yourself. The brain especially uses about 60% of all the energy we expend on a day.
wrote:I don't know what DaVince is referring to in particular, and it would be highly inappropriate to ask. But I can imagine a whole host of personal reasons why he can't do translations right now.
Thanks, I'm fine with sharing a lot of stuff with this tight-knit community though. I just don't want to ramble too much about it in the translation thread specifically I guess? But it has to do with me REALLY wanting to finish college so I can move on to the step of getting my American wife to the Netherlands.

Uh... Sorry for the long post.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Patch v112
Rolled by kmeisthax, with contributions from sanqui, andwhyisit

Speed IPS: https://www.mediafire.com/file/jxtsosgqytrju36/Telefang_-_Speed_Version_%28J%29_%28Eng._beta_v112%29.ips
Power IPS: https://www.mediafire.com/file/363y3d181ae3x59/Telefang_-_Power_Version_%28J%29_%5BC%5D%5B%21%5D_%28Eng._beta_v112%29.ips
  • The summon screen in link battles now renders the entire nickname of your selected denjuu.
  • The "Trade" and "Melo-D Transfer" badges now render correctly on the individual connection screens for those respective functions.
  • Translated the "オリジナル" text for Melo-D transfers as "Original", matching the existing translations for Melo-D edit.
  • Altered RTC detection to work properly on MBC5 and other similar cart hardware with additional RAM banks. (andwhyisit, sanqui)
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

This was built from the disassembly, right? Good work! xD Nice to see it's making general improvement easier.

I don't suppose this uses the new translation additions in the translation file yet?