Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Uh, no - I wasn't aware there were changes. :/ Perhaps I should get in the habit of just copying over everything after every monthly release...
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

kmeisthax wrote:Uh, no - I wasn't aware there were changes. :/ Perhaps I should get in the habit of just copying over everything after every monthly release...
Google Drive has a versioning system and recently they apparently introduced naming your versions, so you might just want to look at that instead to make sure. But yeah, a lot of additions were in the phone call quizzes and stuff. Kimbles also translated most of a new town a while ago but I'm not so sure that's in the spreadsheets yet.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

I'm just posting to let you know that v113 is delayed. There are new translations, but half of them are still being revised and not ready to insert just yet. Furthermore, the translations that do exist are in the Gsheet, but the translation team assumed that they could add line comments with a //. A valid assumption for most programming environments, but it doesn't hold for our message compiler, so someone has to go in and filter those out before I can pull the latest translations into a new patch version. Otherwise all the Denjuu quiz messages will have random // lines everywhere in the actual game. Hence why we aren't releasing the September revision today.
Imaynotbehere4long

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

Hooray, the patch is getting a translation update soon! This is what I've been waiting for!

As for the delay, I've waited this long; I can wait a bit longer. Honestly, I'll wait until the full translation is in the patch before I start playing again; I'd rather not play the game in fragments.

P.S. What's this I hear on Discord about Bugsite getting dialogue translated? I thought the translation team would focus on getting Telefang's script translated before moving on.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:P.S. What's this I hear on Discord about Bugsite getting dialogue translated? I thought the translation team would focus on getting Telefang's script translated before moving on.
The translation team (Kimbles and Davince) aren't involved. They are still working on Telefang, so don't you worry about that.

kmeisthax is translating it himself to learn Japanese and to test the text inserter. Most of the dialogue will have to be completely retranslated when Telefang is done.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Yeah. So, from what I've been told, there's a whole 'nother town that's been translated but the related messages haven't been copied into the spreadsheet yet. DaVince and Kimbles are being extra-careful and not putting anything into the sheet until it's 100% proofread and ready to be rolled out. I did resolve the comment issue I mentioned in my previous post, so I could push the translation updates they have released so far. However, it's very minor stuff, so I'm going to wait until the town is done and inserted before releasing v113.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

wrote:DaVince and Kimbles are being extra-careful and not putting anything into the sheet until it's 100% proofread and ready to be rolled out.
Actually, I've just been inserting whatever I could find, lines with // included, because I'd like us to work in one file and one file only (the sheet). I didn't really much consider how they would enter the patch because of this, but it would be good to either add another column to put the drafts in, or have the compilation process intercept and remove the lines with //.

At least in the sheets themselves lines containing // are marked with a nice clear color, so they're easy to track down in there. =)
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Patch v113
Rolled by kmeisthax

Speed IPS: https://www.mediafire.com/file/w8b8792rt6gq677/Telefang%20-%20Speed%20Version%20%28J%29%20%28Eng.%20beta%20v113%29.ips
Power IPS: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ss14purbebtxnjo/Telefang%20-%20Power%20Version%20%28J%29%20%28Eng.%20beta%20v113%29.ips
  • A new script was added to pull translations from Google Sheets as translators add them. (Note that we do not have the new translations I was waiting for ready yet.)
  • Project tools were converted to Python 3, and PRET was removed in favor of rgbgfx.
  • New overflow bank system was defined to allow spilling code to multiple banks, so that we won't run out of space for our translations. In total we have three overflow banks with the possibility of more.
  • Some script files were merged into a single .csv for the sake of the translators working in GSheets.
  • SMS messages no longer appear incorrectly formatted; the text mechanism now supports newlines on arbitrarily shaped text windows, and we also have a full six lines of tiles for SMS text.
  • Upper and lower case input on naming screens no longer cycles through an arbitrary collection of accented characters. Instead, accented characters have been moved to the diacritics button.
  • Naming screens now have punctuation moved to the asterisk and pound buttons on the number input mode. Brackets are still available using the pound key on the upper and lower case input screens.
  • Diacritics button graphic has been localized to reflect it's purpose of applying accents to Latin characters and not kana.
  • Text rendering using the diacritics button has been fixed to not use VWF, matching the behavior of other buttons.
FailureBiWinning

Post by FailureBiWinning »

It's great to see more progress for this project! I wish I there was something I could do to lend a hand, but I know jack-all about translation hacking (and ROM hacking in general).
Simple sprite editor - sometimes I do not-so-simple edits.

:jank: :ghostfree: :p01:
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Actually our biggest bottleneck is finding translators. I'm actually sort of running out of things to do on the programming side. Our current crop of translators don't have as much free time as I do...