patch related questions

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
telefangfan(imported)

Re: patch related questions

Post by telefangfan(imported) »

1-The games are two but you make only 1 patch.Are there telefang speed's tiles too?
2-which program do i need to extract and reinsert tiles?i'd like offsets for all the power/speed graphic:
-all battle graphic
-all dex graphic
-menus graphic
-calling graphic (that fd thing,i wanna translate it)
-2 player graphic
-logo graphic
-"push start" graphic
-phone graphic
3- if i translate your english telefang and make an ips of this non english translation,need i to apply the patch to the japanese or to the english rom?
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

I can't really help you with graphics and offsets, but as for the patching, it depends on which rom you create the patch from (the ips utlity I use requires you to select a clean rom for comparison as well as the one the patch will create from it). I'd recommend creating the patch from the Japanese one, since Italian fans would have to patch their games twice otherwise.
telefangfan(imported)

oh,now i remember.that's not so difficult.yes i know,ips says you to create the patch from a modified game and asks you for clean rom,and it would be logical to use a japanese one because it's like you update your english patch after all:you change graphics/text but it still requires japanese to patch.if you know how to help me about atlas and cartographer to extract and reinsert text,pm me.^^ or you can find me on facebook asking for my profile.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

wrote:1-The games are two but you make only 1 patch.Are there telefang speed's tiles too?
Some, but one patch cannot work for both because offsets wary.
wrote:2-which program do i need to extract and reinsert tiles?i'd like offsets for all the power/speed graphic:
I pasted all compressed graphics on this page. Find what you want and check out the offset column.
http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/wiki/Wikifang:Telefang_1_Translation_Patch/Graphics
Of course, you'll probably need to repoint it as well if it grows bigger.
How to decompress: http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/wiki/Wikifang:Telefang_1_Translation_Patch/Malias_compression
The rest you can find and edit easily using a tile editor such as Tile Molester, and as such wasn't documented anywhere.
wrote:3- if i translate your english telefang and make an ips of this non english translation,need i to apply the patch to the japanese or to the english rom?
You don't need to do anything, but the first option would generally work better..
wrote:if you know how to help me about atlas and cartographer to extract and reinsert text,pm me.^^
I have no idea what that is, so, yeah.
telefangfan(imported)

in atlas/cartographer i don't remember which one of the two...) i should say if pointers are hi-rom or lo-rom,etc.i mean,compiling a txt thing and then using it for extract (via dos i think) and then text stays on a new txt file.see here...
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Tulunk_Village/topic/7050826/1/#new
About telefang speed,then,why aren't you relasing patches for it too,and just for telefang power?i didn't understood i think

Can i edit tiles manually with gimp/paint after extracting?
telefang power/speed have some different text i think...how do you do for them?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

wrote:in atlas/cartographer i don't remember which one of the two...) i should say if pointers are hi-rom or lo-rom,etc.i mean,compiling a txt thing and then using it for extract (via dos i think) and then text stays on a new txt file.see here...
http://s15.zetaboards.com/Tulunk_Village/topic/7050826/1/#new
I still have no idea how it works, but I know that the terms hi-rom and lo-rom refer to SNES hacking, and that such thing doesn't exist on the Gameboy.
wrote:About telefang speed,then,why aren't you relasing patches for it too,and just for telefang power?i didn't understood i think
Because it's too much work for now, we're already kind of struggling to keep releasing just one version of the patch and a Speed one would have to be rebuilt from scratch.
wrote:Can i edit tiles manually with gimp/paint after extracting?
After decompressing, you can edit it with a tile editor. Tile Molester can import PNG images, so yes, you can technically print screen it and edit it in any editor, paint included.
wrote:telefang power/speed have some different text i think...how do you do for them?
We do not maintain a Speed patch yet.
telefangfan(imported)

which type of pointers does telefang use,then?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

telefangfan wrote:which type of pointers does telefang use,then?
Little endian, like most Gameboy games.
telefangfan(imported)

does the game use 3-byte pointers or 2-byte ones?i understood how to calc a pointer,but i don't remember if it is a location where the text STARTS or ENDS.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

telefangfan wrote:does the game use 3-byte pointers or 2-byte ones?i understood how to calc a pointer,but i don't remember if it is a location where the text STARTS or ENDS.
It uses both. Generally, text has two-byte pointers pointing to the start of it, though.