Re: Cryptonica... the next hacking tool!

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Cryptonica
a.k.a. Just Another Denjuu Editor (JADE)
Current Release: version 0.1

P.S. I really should have finished this much earlier, but then I kept procrastinating ><

Also, this tool is not meant to challenge swampert22's tool. I just wanted to finish up this project which he beat me to. >< ><

This tool is actually a major modification of TelefangEdit, my first tool. Much faster and much more convenient than TelefangEdit.

Okay let's skip all the introductions...

Features
Edits all of the following:
  • Denjuu Name
  • Denjuu Type
  • Arrived and Attack Phrase
  • Base Stats
  • Moves and Levels
  • Denjuu Book Entry
  • Evolutions (Natural, Mod and Exp)
Able to edit Japanese ROMs (even the strings!)
Creates a save array to define which to save
Able to read predefined data (such as Denjuu names, item names and types) from ROM, the bootleg, the Japanese and the translated versions. (can choose in options)
More...

Well I was pretty lazy to beta test it, so please give comments! ^^

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?z5rdmgjnjjy

P.S. Oh, and don't put this up on DataCrystal yet. Whoever put TelefangEdit up there should probably take that down too.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Are you saying that even with a feature list like this, it is only version 0.1?!

*worship*

Are there any plans for palette tweaking or phone call text?
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I'll try this out real soon. From the looks of that screenshot, though, I think the Denjuu picture book text runs off of pointers, and therefore has different lengths for each Denjuu (I could be wrong though, but I'm rather lazy to check this right now...). Looks awesome though!

Oh, and swampert22 was the one who added TelefangEdit to that page. Just look at the edit history.
Milnivri(imported)

Yes, indeed the Denjuu Book entries have different lengths. The program just uses the offsets from the original game and only allow you to change the length of that entry. The program searches for E2 (the new line) and E104 (the end).

Oh, and yeah it's still version 0.1. XD

I wasn't planning to include palette tweaking; but if you really want to just use swampert22's tool. And I don't know where to find the phone call text yet. :P

EDIT: Whoops I meant offsets. And no, they don't use pointers.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Approved.

Good job.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Is translation patch support possible?
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Mmmf...

For whatever reason, none of the japanese works for me except for the attack names... ): Now, I have my locale set to japanese always, which is sometimes the problem, so I switched it back and it changed nothing... :/ Oh well...

Anyway, from your screenshot what concerns me is that for Tsunonasu's arrive text the last letter is "a" when it should be "ze" (double checked). I was looking forward to checking all of that out. );

Which phonecall text do you mean, by the way? XD Looking at the text dump, there's a whole lot of it...
Milnivri(imported)

Kimbles wrote:For whatever reason, none of the japanese works for me except for the attack names... ): Now, I have my locale set to japanese always, which is sometimes the problem, so I switched it back and it changed nothing... :/ Oh well...
Err, I think you need the font. Do you have Arial Unicode MS? Otherwise I think it uses MS Sans Serif instead (which I don't think has Japanese?)

Maybe it's since you set the locale to Japanese, and since it's meant for English locales, it screwed up? :S Or for some reason or another. I used UTF-8 (I think. Not sure what it was though) to display Japanese text... not Unicode, since VB6 has weird issues with Unicode itself (which it claims to support Unicode internally >_>)
Kimbles wrote:Anyway, from your screenshot what concerns me is that for Tsunonasu's arrive text the last letter is "a" when it should be "ze" (double checked). I was looking forward to checking all of that out. );
And about the arrived text, the screenshot is from an edited ROM, where I was messing up all the text. I think I didn't get the last letter right after some messing around. But I tried loading the original ROM, and it shows "ze" just fine. =)
andwhyisit wrote:Is translation patch support possible?
No, not yet. That's why it's still version 0.1! XD

EDIT: Can you put in a string of numbers unique from the original ROM? I don't think you want to edit the game code and maker code and all those right? Yeah, so in some remote offset just put a random string of hex numbers/letters so that I can identify it from the original?

EDITEDIT: Oh, and I think I need the table file for the patch too.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Milnivri wrote:
Kimbles wrote:For whatever reason, none of the japanese works for me except for the attack names... ): Now, I have my locale set to japanese always, which is sometimes the problem, so I switched it back and it changed nothing... :/ Oh well...
Err, I think you need the font. Do you have Arial Unicode MS? Otherwise I think it uses MS Sans Serif instead (which I don't think has Japanese?)

Maybe it's since you set the locale to Japanese, and since it's meant for English locales, it screwed up? :S Or for some reason or another. I used UTF-8 (I think. Not sure what it was though) to display Japanese text... not Unicode, since VB6 has weird issues with Unicode itself (which it claims to support Unicode internally >_>)
It appears I do have Arial Unicode MS, and it's the font that shows us for the attack names... Everything else is broken though, mostly question marks. ): ...It's a really ugly font for japanese by the way, any way you could change it...? >_>;;

Anyway, I tried the program normally and then tried it with applocale setting it back to english, but it had no effect. *nod* I am getting the impression it just doesn't like me.... *sigh*

EDIT: Alright, here's a picture of it using the rom (link), and using the japanese (link).
MS Gothic is much nicer, thank you. XD
Milnivri(imported)

Arial Unicode MS is better than other MS fonts for Japanese... at least IMO.

And I don't know why it displays as question marks.. you mean not even the item names or type names can display properly? How about posting a screenshot.

EDIT: Try this version, using the MS Gothic font. http://www.mediafire.com/?dmoqinzybtr