Re: Generation V Starters!!

Discuss the Pokémon series of games here.
ChaosProductions(imported)

Post by ChaosProductions(imported) »

This is still Ken Sujimori, bro.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

ChaosProductions wrote:This is still Ken Sujimori, bro.
Oh..

I didn't know he designed the Pokemon as well.
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

He just draws'em, right? Well, he did do the designs for the first 151, but... They got this big, big company now, right? So he doesn't have to make them all?

If he does make them, he has let me down more than that time he drew Spiritomb...
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

I heard somewhere that the original 251 Pokemon were drawn by Sugimori, and after that they started getting other people to design them as well... Which explains why there seemed to be a slight style shift for the 3rd gen Pokemon. I have no idea if that's right or not, though. ._.
UltimateDemonDog(imported)

Post by UltimateDemonDog(imported) »

Yea, I was just pondering today how strange the 3rd Gen pokemon are. I mean, in comparison to the first and second generations, they just mostly seem weird and un-pokemonly. Whenever I see a third gen pokemon, I usually think, "there goes another strange pokemon from Hoenn..."

Nosepass *ugh*
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Well they should let Sugimori design the Pokemon as well. This starter lineup is visually unappealing.

On the other hand the battle animations look quite good, but I am still waiting for something new in the gameplay or plot department before I look any higher than 3rd gen.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Not starter related, but... Wow.
I still don't have high hopes, but oh god, the sprites and animations are just gorgeous !
I really do hope they'll do them for all the Pokémon instead of just selected ones... However, making at least 10 sprites (5 animations, front and back) for over 500 Pokémon? :|
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

The one thing I would really love to see though is a way to switch between the 1-on-1 and 2-on-2 battle system. The 2-on-2 battle system is the best thing to happen to Pokemon battles since the series was first created (if any of you have played either of the Orre region games where all battles are 2-on-2 then you would understand why), but it is so underused that they might as well have left it out entirely.
Sanky wrote:Not starter related, but... Wow.
I still don't have high hopes, but oh god, the sprites and animations are just gorgeous !
I really do hope they'll do them for all the Pokémon instead of just selected ones... However, making at least 10 sprites (5 animations, front and back) for over 500 Pokémon? :|
Holy s**t that is f**king amazing. Just that is enough to make me want to buy it.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

XD It looks kind of funny with them constantly fidgeting like that, but yes that is extremely cool. XD It reminds me a bit of the battles in Golden Sun. The starters also look pretty good in action~

I'm really looking forward to this game now. :D
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

After seeing the videos, I have mixed feelings about this.

First, what I was impressed about:

- The animations give the game more life, and actually look a bit better than Telefang 2 now. Still doesn't look quite as good as the N64/GameCube games though.
- The 3D in that one city looked pretty cool. It looks like the 3D capabilities of the DS are going to be exploited more.
- The camera angles in the battles looked cool too.
- The music is nice, and hopefully it will be more memorable than the Sinnoh games.

And now the things that annoy me:

- The animations look a bit weird and jittery.
- Here is what annoys me most of all: The battle backgrounds still look as dull as ever. I was unimpressed with these lifeless gradient backgrounds ever since Ruby and Sapphire (which, by the way, were released after Telefang 2), and seeing a game that's almost a decade older than Telefang 2 yet has far duller battle backgrounds just annoys me to no end. It is just pure laziness. Every time a new Pokémon game gets announced, one of the first things that I hope for is actual scenery, but I always get disappointed to see the same old gradients over and over again.

And the thing about this that really annoys me is that one of the screenshots has actual scenery in battle (although it still looks a bit worse than the ones in Telefang 2), and the videos/screenshots shown after just revert to the gradient backgrounds. WTF?

- You still can't walk freely on the map, still being restricted to a "grid". This seems really outdated to me.