Have you guys ever considered moving off of Zetaboards?

Have ideas on how to make the boards better? Post them here!
Dipsacus(imported)

Re: Have you guys ever considered moving off of Zetaboards?

Post by Dipsacus(imported) »

It's nice that you guys are here, I guess, but I was wondering whether you guys would prefer to move off of a third-party board host considering you have the means to do so, and considering the current situation with Wikia.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Sure we have. And unlike Wikia, Zetaboards wouldn't hold us back, I could probably even set up redirects, actually. But on the other hand, there's been little incentive to actually do the move.
Dipsacus(imported)

That's true. Maybe when you guys get too big? :P
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I wonder if there is any decent forum software written in Python... it would potentially make the forum quite flexible to modify, especially when multiple people here know Python. I wouldn't mind the idea, actually...

Stuff like this (see the fourth paragraph) kind of bring my hopes down for that, though...
Dipsacus(imported)

I once thought of coding a forum in Django myself, but it never got anywhere.
TimeWalker(imported)

Post by TimeWalker(imported) »

Blaziken257 wrote:I wonder if there is any decent forum software written in Python...
Sorry, but since when is Python a web based programming language? I've never heared of one.

Anyway, yeah there were plans, as Sanky already said. But it doesn't seem worth it with such a small userbase. The problem is just, it needs lots of work and effort to move. Especially when you change to a different forum software. So what we need is people that are ready to do this task, grab all posts from here, move them to a new forum and then do extra stuff like skin editing, installing useful mods, etc. That's why the question is, is it worth it. I'd say probably yes in the long run. But in short-term it doesn't really warant an immediate change.

I personnaly would say, a move will happen but most likely in a specific point where it feels as a perfect moment to work on that.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

wrote:Sorry, but since when is Python a web based programming language? I've never heared of one.
There's a lot of Python web frameworks, like Django, Pyramid or (my pet favorite) Flask. Many popular websites run on Python, like Youtube, Dropbox, Reddit, Yelp, or veekun.

Anyway, we can really move at any point in time. Though I don't know of any particularly reliable and simple to deploy Python forum (as much as it pains me), and given my background I'd probably go with something like an Acmlmboard clone (ABXD?), or perhaps FluxBB.
I'll surely be worth it, though! It's just that there's no momentarily pressure.
TimeWalker(imported)

Post by TimeWalker(imported) »

Oh, didn't know that at all. Welp, now I learned something new.

FluxBB I've never heared of it. But my inital impression for this is that it looks suprisingly good. I personally am not a big fan of Acmlmboard (clones).
What would be useful if there is an extension/mod that allows bridged authentication with Wikifang.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Honestly, merged accounts with the wiki are a pipe dream to me. Sounds like a maintenance nightmare, especially when upgrading either side (wiki or forum), and I sure wouldn't want to maintain the PHP.
FluxBB is not bad, I've seen it used on a few forums like Skeetendo. Although it does have a pretty serious spambot problem.
As far as I'm aware, ABXD is a pretty solid Acmlmboard clone, and I know people who could help me maintain it -- but I'm not yet convinced it's a good fit.