Telefang 1 text dump~

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Kimbles(imported)

Re: Telefang 1 text dump~

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Huzzah! XD After much tinkering and a long battle with programs that refuse to display japanese, I've finally got some readable, working text out of the Telefang 1 rom. :D The trick was getting it in .txt format in romaji, then find/replacing each letter...*nod* The end result is exactly as it appears in the game. XD I'm so happy right now.

Though I'm not sure how many other people here will have a use for the game's japanese text, I'll upload everything I get done, and try to keep it as neat/readable as possible...*nod*
- Link -

The game text is split into a whole bunch of chunks for different stuff, so I'll make seperate text files for each...*nod* Also, I'm not yet familiar with the inner workings of the different types of line break, so by all means correct me on those. XD I only have two parts done, so far.

What do you think? :D
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote:Huzzah! XD
Kimbles wrote:After much tinkering and a long battle with programs that refuse to display japanese, I've finally got some readable, working text out of the Telefang 1 rom. :D The trick was getting it in .txt format in romaji, then find/replacing each letter...*nod* The end result is exactly as it appears in the game. XD I'm so happy right now.
Woohoo! Yay for progress. :D
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Wow... so you used the Find/Replace method? I was actually going to suggest that method but I figured it would drive people nuts... I mean there's so much kana, it would take forever. I don't know how you did that without losing your mind. But well done, though! I guess this helps... ha ha... and as far as I know, you got the line break stuff right.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

XD Eh, it is not that bad, compared to the thought of writing out every single line in the game... The romaji it starts with is far harder to read, anyway. ^^; This is exactly what I need in order to attempt hardcore translating stuff, so it feels worth it either way. XD I probably won't start with that until I've at least got all of the text, though...

I've been working through the week and have up to part 6 done now. *nod* Sorry I didn't post them sooner. D: Just some stuff to mention, though...

First of all, in part 5 where it has the secret Denjuu call text, it looks like there is a real, authentic screwup on the part of the developers. XD The messages when you call them once are normal, but the messages they give when you call them a second time are given for the wrong Denjuu! XD Because of the failure to use a message end instead of a line break, Musa and Hiyu both say 2 messages and throw off the rest of the messages by 2 Denjuu. D: This can have a seriously bizarre effect, since each secret Denjuu has its own personality and way of speaking. XD Kanzou and Ornithogalum, being the last two, get a lame generic message... *nod* This should be easy to fix in the patch, but really now. XD This is just embarassing.

Besides that, I've been worried about the phone questions (parts 1 and 4), because they are going to require a lot more space to write both the answers and questions in than we can apparently currently do with the patch. ): As it is now, both answers need to be on the same line, and it seems that a single space is what it uses to seperate them. I haven't messed with it nor do I know how the bootleg works, but for any reasonably accurate translation we are pretty much going to need a full line for each answer and somehow make spaces usable. >_>
This has just been breaking my heart you see, because the phone questions add so much charm to the game, chopping them down to barely fit is something I could not bring myself to do. D: It's not as important an issue right now and we can probably deal with it after every other part of the game, but we are going to have to do something, so just saying. *nod* >_<

There's a lot more stuff for me to whine about, but I will try to spare you. XD I am getting more used to dealing with hex editing and stuff, but I don't know how to do anything besides replace text at this point, so if someone could find out exactly what the differences between the E1- message ends are, I would be extremely grateful. XD Even if it's still only japanese, I think we are learning good stuff from this...*nod*
IIMarckus(imported)

Post by IIMarckus(imported) »

How are you dumping the text? I’ve written a (very primitive) text dumper in C++, which is how I got those item lists. It also outputs directly in Japanese; no replacing necessary. Since it was made for name lists instead of actual dialogue, the only control code it recognizes is 0xE0—but I can modify that if anyone’s interested in using it.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

IIMarckus wrote: How are you dumping the text? I’ve written a (very primitive) text dumper in C++, which is how I got those item lists. It also outputs directly in Japanese; no replacing necessary. Since it was made for name lists instead of actual dialogue, the only control code it recognizes is 0xE0—but I can modify that if anyone’s interested in using it.
I would have to agree, that would be much easier.