Telefang 2 Engrish Translations

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
Mr. Bek(imported)

Re: Telefang 2 Engrish Translations

Post by Mr. Bek(imported) »

I have been looking at some of the older threads and I saw a few Telefang 2 screenshots with Engrish text. So I was wondering, what tool was used to translate the game into Engrish?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Either you're looking at an old version of the patch, where the hackers didn't have enough space to input the text properly. Or you're looking at the Pokémon Ruby bootleg, which is a bootleg and it's pretty much unknown whenever the Chinese bootleggers used a tool or not.
Mr. Bek(imported)

Post by Mr. Bek(imported) »

Sanky wrote:Either you're looking at an old version of the patch, where the hackers didn't have enough space to input the text properly. Or you're looking at the Pokémon Ruby bootleg, which is a bootleg and it's pretty much unknown whenever the Chinese bootleggers used a tool or not.
All I know is I can't find the thread, but the screenshots had to do with the secret denju. I need to know if a translation tool was used. I have a few roms that I want translated, but I don't want to do it manually. Is there a tool out there? I don't care if it comes out in Engrish. I just want an idea of what the characters are saying.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

No, there's no tool that will do all the hard work for you:
- Relative searching for a table and/or checking the memory for ordered characters
- Finding the font. Generating a new font, possibly overwriting the Japanese one; looking for complications like kanji or multiple different fonts
- Reinserting the new font
- Finding texts in graphics (if compressed, figure out the algorithm), translate these too and reinsert
- Finding all the texts AND pointers to them
- Dumping text, translating
- Inserting text (taking special care with newlines), redoing pointers, expanding ROM if necessary (!)
- Compiling the whole thing and checking for bugs

As you can see, even we have problems doing the whole process, now imagine a "translation tool" doing that. Sorry.