Patching Problems

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
CharizardRider10(imported)

Re: Patching Problems

Post by CharizardRider10(imported) »

I downloaded the Telefang 1 ROM to play on kigb. It worked until I downloaded the latest english patch onto the game with IPSWin. I then tried to load the game, but kigb stopped working and I had to close it. Should I use a different program, or am I doing something wrong?

By the way, I'm sort of new to this, and had a question about all the patches. Is the latest patch all the other patches combined, plus updates? Or is it just updates, and I have to download other patches too?
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Hey, welcome to the forums!

Anyway, when you patch a ROM, you have to patch the original ROM, not one that is already patched. In other words, you don't want to patch a ROM then later patch it with another version of the patch. That causes problems. Therefore you will want to keep a copy of the original ROM at all times.

Also, I don't know how kigb works, but in some emulators, you can place the IPS file in the same directory as the ROM itself and you can play it patched without modifying the ROM. Although I don't know if that works in kigb.

Oh, OK. So, which emulator do you use?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Try VBA or a fork of it (VBA-M, VBA rerecording, ...).

For patching, i use Lunar IPS.

Woah, this is awesome! Thanks guys : D