T2 Denjuu name origins

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
Kimbles(imported)

Re: T2 Denjuu name origins

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Well, I figure we really should finish up the Wikifang list, so this should clear up any confusion with the names. :O

For the most part, Telefang 2 Denjuu seem to be named after birds or their scientific names. D: Rather than using the genus names like T1 does for plants, it tends to use the species name (the second part), which typically means something descriptive in latin or greek or something, and can be used for several different species that may or may not be birds (since a species is identified by its combination of genus name + species name). *nod*

For example "rex" means king/ruler in latin, but it can be found in Balaeniceps rex, or Tyrannosaurus rex, or any of these. D: Since there are a few different birds that have rex in their name, it would be impossible for us to tell exactly which bird they were thinking of when they named it, and I don't think we should bother trying. :/ Since there are enough Denjuu named after common bird names though, I think it's fair to assume that the theme is definitely birds for stuff like Rex, too. *nod*

Not birds:
Doon - Sound effect of a heavy thud, or something. It's pronounced so that it rhymes with "own". XD
Gyuun - Sound effect of something quick and elastic, or something. XD It rhymes with "tune".
Diablos - From diablo, spanish for devil.

Birds:
Rex - Latin for "king"
Muscovy - Muscovy duck
Flavi - Prefix from latin, meaning yellow... As seen here
Kagu - It's a bird
Pulchella - Latin for "pretty"
Mentalis - Latin for "mental", refers to the chin
Callinota - From this, possibly
Laperouse - From this
Chakor - Another name for a Chukar Partridge
Anpipit - Probably from Pipit, possibly combined with the genus name (Anthus)... Anpipit seems like a good guess, either way.
Ruficollis - Latin for "red, neck"
Cotta - From this, maybe?
Willcock - Willcock's Honeyguide
Scrippa - Maybe from Xantus's Murrelet, also known as Scripps's Murrelet (apparently?)
Cabot - Cabot's Tragopan
Maculet - No freaking clue, probably somehow from maculata (spotted)
Coronet - Coronets, a group of hummingbirds in the genus Boissonneaua
Tataupa - Tataupa Tinamou
Chigomozu - Japanese for Tiger Shrike
Koikaru - Japanese for Yellow-billed Grosbeak
Pewee - Group of birds in the genus Contopus
Chapmani - Chapman's Swift and other birds
Huming - Probably a misspelling of humming from hummingbird. The normal spelling is hamingu, the Denjuu is hyuumingu. D:
Pumilio - Latin for "dwarf"... The Denjuu spells it with pa instead of pu.
Mystacea - Latin for "moustached". The Denjuu's name has the a on the end cut off (misutashi).
Penelope - Genus for Guans
Alpina - As in alpine
Bicolor - Two-colored
Hermit - A type of hummingbird
Phoebe - A type of bird
Rubricol - Probably from rubricollis, which also means "red, neck". The Denjuu spells it with ra instead of ru.
Demerus - Don't know, possibly from demersus (diving) though.
Sparsa - Latin for "speckled"
Purpurea - Latin for "purple-colored"
Etupirka - Japanese name (from Ainu) for the Tufted Puffin.
Regulus - Latin for "prince", likely from Regulus regulus
Auklet - There are a few birds called Auklets, for example the Crested Auklet.
Tectus - Latin for "covered"
Serrata - Latin for "saw-like"... I reeeally wish we could alter its name to keep it separate from Serrator, though.
Major - Latin for "greater"
Rupicola - Latin for "rock-dwelling", probably from Rupicola rupicola
Parrlot - Most likely from parrot (parotto), but with an extra ru thrown in (parurotto).
Nebularia - Latin for "misty"? Probably from this
Granti - Named after someone named Grant
Ardea - Genus for herons
Serrator - Latin for "sawyer"
Isuka - Japanese for Common Crossbill
Blossom - Maybe from Blossom-headed Parakeet
Seiran - Japanese for Great Argus

I think that's all of them...XD Either they intentionally misspelled some of them, or they were just really bad at katakana-fying names. XD (Probably the latter...) We shouldn't need to change any spelling, but some of them definitely ended up more similar in english than they were in the original katakana, so it might be something to consider. *shrug*

(This took me a bit over a day to complete, using a combination of Wikipedia and Google, as well as this book I found (in pdf form)... Yaaay, sources. XD)
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

Wow, you must have had to do a lot of research xD

Gyuun is supposed to be the sound effect of something fast I believe, it's described on this website as something fast whooshing by. It kind of makes sense since Gyuun is the mascot of Speed version. I've seen it used before somewhere in a manga but I can't remember exactly where... I think it's similar to noises like hyu, byu, and pyu which i've seen for characters running fast and jumping over things. Maybe Gyuun and Doon's names were meant to be puns based on their version exclusivity? If Doon is a sound effect for an explosion, that sort of represents power, so I guess it's entirely possible x3
Kimbles(imported)

Yeah, they definitely are. XD Gyuun makes me think of something being sprung super-fast off of a board, or something. XD Doon is like the sound it makes when you ground pound in the Wario Land games. :D (Here.) It could also be something like a heavy drum sound, or a distant explosion, yeah. XD Japanese is great when it comes to sound effects.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Yesss, I was having a lot of trouble when I tried looking them up just cause of the ambiguity of species names over genus XP
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

I think Etopirika should maybe just stay Etopirika considering that Etupirka in proper Ainu katakana would be エト゚ピㇼカ (I think) rather than エトピリカ (note the special characters for r and tu). After all, there are several loanwords in English that are spelled/pronounced differently from the original language or the way it's typically romanised, too; I mean, how many English-speaking people actually bother to actually call mohair mukhayyar?

To tell the truth, I do think Etupirka sounds cooler, but semantically I think it should be Etopirika. I do realise it wasn't so easy to write エト゚ピㇼカ in the game's character set, or expect any Japanese person unaware of Ainu katakana to not think that looked weird for that matter (XD), but they could have at least used エトゥピルカ to approximate the Ainu pronunciation if that was what they meant.
Kimbles(imported)

I just went with what was on ja.wikipedia. XD Since it spells it in roman letters, I think it's fair to use.