Re: Bug Name Discussion Topic

Discuss the Bugsite games here.
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

You know the one I'm talking about... the one currently sitting around on Wikifang that looks rather like the flag of the Republic of China right now. Mostly red, with a small patch of white, and only a little blue at the moment.

I know Telefang is the main priority here, but since it'd been discussed on the talk page for the bug list about three years ago that we should have one of these, I thought it might encourage a little more work on this at some time in the future when some of us actually have the time if I started this topic up now. If you feel you have a plausible explanation for one or more of the Bugs' names (especially one that doesn't have an English name written down yet, though any you find dubious are fine to discuss too) feel free to suggest it here, or if you're one of the people compiling a large number of name origins, you can feel free to submit your doc (or Zip, or G-Zed—yay for silly Bugsite puns XD) here when it's ready.

Personally, I'd just gotten some ideas today that maybe "Ekusuri" might be a weird corruption or shortening of "XREA" (rendered 'エクスリア' on their site), a Japanese web hosting site founded around 2001, and "Hinasu" might be from Finesse, an operating system for what Wikipedia claims to be a popular firewall (though that would be a REALLY weird way to render it, so I'm already having my doubts that's it; Finasse maybe?). Then again, with Cofig, Avent, and Archav, who knows? XD My guesses are often not so good, but I thought I'd throw them out there since I'd regret holding them back more.

With that, feel free to post your thoughts or research if you have any, or even start a new topic if this one ends up getting buried.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

I think 'Ekusuri' might be XRE, since it's missing the pronunciation for the A in XREA.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Erg... There really shouldn't be any blue links, since most of the names are undecided and we haven't settled on a format for Bug pages yet. -_-

I haven't been keeping track of most of the name origins outside of my head, since a lot of them are just guesses, but I guess we could try... I really doubt we're ever going to find solid name origins for all of them though. *shrug* We're really only missing 4 names (hinasu, hinoniasu, asupura, ansuraputo) so I'd prefer if we tried to find those first...XD

XREA/XRE seems like a better guess than X3, but I dunno about Finesse. XD I think it's possible the hi could represent a fi, though.
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

Yeah, we probably should get the main idea for what a Bug page is supposed to look like figured out before we create any new pages or fix up the ones that are already there much... But I guess I sort of made this topic as a reminder to do that some time, too. This was more about getting the list of names finalised for the patch (no rush, of course).

And as to Finesse/Finasse, I know that does seem like a stretch, but I couldn't really find anything else that fit. XD It doesn't sound like Finis or Finish, and nothing called Hinas or Finas seems to be computer-related, either. The most plausible names we find will probably still be a stretch with these last four... the best I could come up with for Ansuraputo at the moment was Answrapped, which hardly even makes sense (the only place I found it on Google was in an argument list for some GLIMMER function—I'd guess it stands for 'answer wrapped', and it's possible this gets used in code sometimes, but even there it seems like it would be uncommon).
MefistaCenobica(imported)

Post by MefistaCenobica(imported) »

I have a strong feeling that they was founding names for bugs by googling "computer language",so it really CAN be Answrapped or anything else obscure.And also they can have typos/symbol mixups in the japanese versions.
A bit offtop:I once invented all-new names for all bugs-they were computery,and mostly based on DOS commands,but were not just words,but changed words.I forgot to save that list ><
Oh damn,I know so few english words...