Re: Telefang's engine is a heavely modified...

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
Tharthan(imported)

Post by Tharthan(imported) »

Image See? If it's not the same engine, It IS at least based off of it!
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

what

You think a game is based on other game just by tha fact that the graphics are stored in the same way...? Even SUPER MARIO stored the sprites in the "all the sprites from top to bottom in one line" style.
The palettes are same because your tile editor displays graphics like that.
Also, in Telefang it's like "look bottom sprite; walk bottom 1; walk bottom 2; look top; walk top 1; walk top 2; look left..." etc, while in Pokémon it's like "look bottom; look top; look left; walk top; walk left; walk bottom".
And I'm not even talking about compleatly different moving on the map - in Telefang, it's free, while in Pokémon it's on a grid

Sorry, but this is total nonesence -___-
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

And the reason why you see sprites from top to bottom in one line is because tile viewers display each 8x8 tile (which is 1016 bytes long on a Game Boy) from left to right, then top to bottom.

What is interesting, though, is that if you play Telefang in Game Boy mode on VisualBoyAdvance and you look at the GB Map Viewer and check Auto Update, and you view the stats of a Denjuu from either the Fight/Flee/Status screen or the Denjuu select screen, you can see the Pokémon font for a few frames while it is trying to load the Denjuu status screen:

Image Image Image
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Hm, interesting. It's only the numbers, right?
That reminds me of a memory address I found some time ago, that disables the fade-to-white-and-to-the-next-screen routine, so you can see how the tiles are loaded into memory. I'll try to look for it.

EDIT: Found it - gameshark code 010027CB. You can now see what happens behind the scenes when the curtains are down!
Please also have this awesome autorun code: 0101C0CA!

Only these Pokémon tiles get loaded into memory only to be deleted a second later (with the code, you can see them on GBC, too):