Re: Pokémon Diamond Font Patch

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

You're welcome ^_^"

Also.. I've devised a way to rip the T-Fanger sprites from the end of the rom, with their palettes.. but, uh...

..yeah <___<"
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

So you basically replaced some Denjuu sprites with T-Fanger sprites? Now it looks a bit like the beginning of a Pokémon battle... what were those originally?
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Yeah, I located their palettes and replaced the Denjuu ones with them, then just copy-pasted the sprites in TLP so I can screenshot them. I knew about them sitting at the very end of the rom, but I have no idea where most of them show up in the game.. I mean there's even a dog and cat one so they obviously aren't all T-Fangers x__o I suspect they appear in the credits (which I haven't seen yet, as I've only beaten Diamond, and not Power or Speed yet XP) Anyhow, this was a battle between Krypto and Kokia >__>" it was just too amusing running through the grass a while fighting purple-haired girls and bored-looking kids..
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

That looks cool like that... T-Fangers attacking each other. Imagine if the Krypto learned S-Fire... then you would see S-Fire coming out of a human!

And by the way, I've seen the Power credits (and I can even upload a VBA savestate to show you if you want), and other than the incredibly awesome music, there's not much to it. Like in Diamond, there's a solid white background, with black text. It has credits (which are all in Japanese, and I can't read it so I can't tell you what it says), followed by "AND YOU," followed by "THANK YOU FOR YOUR PLAYING!"
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

CAPCOM ALL STAFF

.. er >__>

Wow.. Then I have NO idea what the rest of the human sprites are for.. I've gotta rip them all and put them in a sheet anyway, I think they do all have palettes.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Guess what... I think I know how to edit pointers! While searching for pointers on Google, I came across this VERY helpful link:

http://www.romhacks.net/tutorial_pointers.php

It explains how to edit pointers in games of all types of systems (including all Game Boy variants, hehe). So I read it and followed the instructions. I tested this by finding the text "For the clever opponent, Injure increase!!" (which was in 0x00114CCC, if you're curious) and searched for CC4C (read the link and you'll see why I left out the "11" and "00" and reversed the CC and 4C). I found THAT in offsets 0x001140E0-001140E1. I changed CC to CD so that it would chop off the "F" in "For" (I was only doing this as a test, after all). And guess what... IT WORKED! I haven't really tested the ROM if it inadvertently caused any other glitches, but I'm going to experiment with this more tomorrow. Maybe I'll be able to edit the text after all!!! If I can pull this off right, maybe I can fix all the broken Engrish text!!!

I also haven't tried messing with pointers in Telefang 2 yet (or a certain other non-Telefang ROM I've been wanting to hack for quite a while now), but I'll try THAT soon too!
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Hey good luck with hacking them! If you need help maybe you can ask us. Fixing the Engrish text is gonna take a loooooooooooong time lol >.<
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, that's true. I think I'm going to start with text that you see OFTEN in the game, such as the infamous "Some points of xxx lost!" or "For the clever opponent, Injure increase!!" quotes. Then I will slowly work my way down.

Unfortunately, I haven't started it yet... I got WAY too caught up trying to hack another Japanese ROM I have (Donkey Kong GB: Dinky Kong & Dixie Kong a.k.a. Donkey Kong Land III). But I'll get started on this one soon... :P

EDIT: I got the text patch up! I haven't done much, considering all the work I have to do to edit all the text, but I feel that what I have done so far is fairly good. I mainly did battle text. This took me at least a few hours to do, so please appreciate it! Here are the list of improvements I made:

- Changed "Position" to "Stats"
- Changed "xxx start to enter!" to "xxx wants to fight!"
- Capitalized "wood"
- Changed "Strategy" in stat screen to "Moveset "
- Changed "You may call by xxx,select the state by Option Key." to "Call xxx Denjuu! SEL- View Stats" (Though, I may fix this up a bit because it looks weird for some reason)
- Changed "In severe illness!" to "Critical!"
- Changed "For the clever opponent, Injure increase!!" to "It's super effective!"
- Changed "For the foolish opponent, Injure reduce!!" to "It's not very effective..."
- Capitalized "fight", "escape", and "success!"
- Changed "xxx got the exp of xxx!" to "xxx got xxx Exp. Points"
- Changed "Some points of xxx lost!" to "xxx points lost!"
- Changed "xxx was paralytic!" to "xxx was paralyzed!"
- Changed "Defeated!" to "Failed!"
- Changed "xxx attack xxx" to "xxx used xxx!"
- Changed cut-off text "Which e-monster would you like to attack?" to "Attack which Denjuu?"
- Changed "It's OK?" to "Are you sure?"

And here are screenshots!

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

EDIT 2: Oops, forgot to upload the patch! Here it is. If you have any problems let me know!
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Hey is it possible to merge the two patches (the Sprite patch and this patch) or is there some other way to do use 2 patches at the same time?

BTW, the patch was GREAT. Thanks
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yep, I can do that... and as a bonus, I have fixed more of the text -- I changed "overthrown" to "defeated", and more importantly, I fixed the main map locations (though, I didn't change ANY dialog that mentions certain places yet -- doing what I did took me over two long hours). And by the way, if you have a patching program (such as Lunar IPS), you can do that yourself simply by applying the two patches together.

Anyway, I'd like to mention something weird when editing the text. When locations are 15 characters or over, it screws up the map screen. When you look at the name, the flashing triangle (where you have to press A) appears, and when you press A, the text hovers over the map screen until you exit it. Here are screenshots to show you what happened to me:

Notice the little triangle next to "Toronko Village."

When you press A, this happens... REALLY annoying...

And even when the text box goes away, the text is still there! And if the text is in the MIDDLE of the screen (when the cursor is higher up), the text covers up part of the map!

So this is my extremely crude solution: abbreviate it! I know "Vill." is a bit weird, but I couldn't think of anything better. Besides, at least it's not like Telefang 2's 8-character limit! By the way, I had the same problem with Kurinon Village, Furaura Village, and Peperi Mountain (this one was easy, I just abbreviated it to "Mtn.").

And here's a screenshot of a working one, just because I felt like it. Awesome, isn't it? I'll take "Palm" over "Bamu" any day.

And here's the patch! Just click the link on the bottom of the post. I included RacieB's Denjuu Revamps in the patch. If anybody doesn't want it like this, I can upload a patch with the old Denjuu sprites.

Also, one more thing: Even though the screenshots have the custom font, it's not part of the patch. I just happened to play it with that patch on, but if you want the new font as well, I can give you a patch with THAT as well, or you can download it from the first post and use a patching program to apply the patch.