Re: Telefang 2 Power Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I recorded a video of the third rival battle. Anybody want to see it? I haven't uploaded it anywhere yet but I will soon if anybody wants to see it. Only thing is that not all the text is translated (or translated properly), so I may not make the AVI file (which I need to do in order to upload it) until that's all fixed. And part of the battle is a bit repetitive too due to health-restoring items... which is also really annoying in the GBA and DS Pokémon games. Anyway. On the subject of text that needs to be fixed, here's a few examples:

Image (there are actually two things wrong with this one)

EDIT: Video is now up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1Xpa8mrxc

EDIT: Changed topic title since this is a hacking topic now.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Ahahha, HEY WHY YOU MAD always cracks me up XP That's one thing I really like about 2 though, text hacking isn't a horrific buggy ordeal x____x

EDIT: Hm actually this reminded me to look at some of the attacks I was unsure of, I was right about STRING (yay) but GROSSWATR was wrong x__o it should be HOT BATH. Now I'm really tempted to go through and fix more random stuff but if you're already doing some right now I don't want two separate patches floating around.. although I think patching one onto the other and then making a new patch out of THAT version would work >__>? I kinda want to see if I can do some of the picture book descriptions..
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Well, I haven't worked on it in a while, so feel free to do it. Even if I did, though, I could always copy text in one ROM and paste it into the other using the hex editor that I have.

And I agree that text hacking is easier in 2. In 1, I tried hacking some of the text (such as changing "For the clever opponent, Injure increase!!" to "It's super-effective!") but the problem is that the quotes are different lengths and that throws EVERYTHING off. Sometimes it even prevents the ROM from loading. I think it has to do with pointers, but I have absolutely NO CLUE how to work pointers. Though, if the Chinese bootlegger can pull it off (and I have to admit, even though the bootleg has TONS of glitches and Engrish, he still knows more than the average hacker), it must be possible somehow.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

In that case, I think I'll fix item names and usage messages and whatever else I can pick out, I'm kinda bored >__> I looked at the descriptions and they're allll out of order as far as I can tell.. so doing those will be a one-at-a-time pain.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

OK, you do that then :P I think a lot of the items are fine, though... in the patch that I made, I corrected a LOT of spelling errors with item names... such as MISILE and MIROR... (Which, as a random point, reminds me of Miror B. in Pokémon Colosseum...)
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Well, I've been going through random parts fixing and translating stuff.. I just finished the answers the secret Denjuu give when you call them, those were fun:

So, I'll make another patch once I finish more of the battle text.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Are you able to change the text without screwing everything up? Sorry if this is hard to explain... but when I tried to change text in the first Telefang, it screwed things up because the sentences were either longer or shorter. I think I said that already, actually... so just be on the lookout for any glitches that you may encounter when doing this.

EDIT: By the way, is there a list of secret Denjuu in Telefang 2? I can't seem to find it anywhere... hopefully the game won't crash XD Just kidding...
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Well, I've been limiting myself to the space I have available, so I have to reword things a bit, like Rupicola's full text goes along the lines of, "Once upon a time, you called me, and a prince came to protect you." ...kind of full of himself >__>; Changing the length of lines usually requires knowing where the pointers are and I have NO clue how to mess with those so I'm limited to what I can do. I'm also finding myself wishing I could change the main dialog font, maybe to the one used in Dino Device, but I believe it's compressed... ah well.

Also, here's a list, and they don't crash! XD

http://www.rocketcompany.co.jp/t2/t2_010.html
For an easy time, try calling Rupicola after you get Rex's number... he's level 30 XP The rest are all 5 or 10 I think.

EDIT:
(nevermind that he has the wrong name, the save was off the original patch)
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Okay.. I've got nearly all the in-battle text translated, some attacks and items fixed, all of the secret Denjuu's answers when you first call them, a few random Picture Book entries, and a couple other things I can't remember at the moment. Annoyingly though, I tried the patch on Speed and it only partly works and causes some graphical issues, apparently Speed doesn't store its text exactly the same way for some reason. I don't think it'd be too hard to make a separate patch for it, but it's kind of irritating that that's how it'd have to be done.

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

That's awesome! I'll try it out soon (hopefully tomorrow) and check out all the text. XD... that's nice how you're working on this. And yeah, I tried applying the Power patch to Speed and I had the same problems you had. I'll look into that later...