Power Version Menu Translation Attempt

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Re: Power Version Menu Translation Attempt

Post by andwhyisit »

I am trying to do a patch for the japanese power version to make it a little more playable, I have added the english text characters in the rom and have added all the english move names, I have also added the names of two denjuu (Krypto and Musa) and will finish the rest later. I have also found a simple solution to the size restrictions. :D

I'll need to test this rom btw. Does anyone have a save with a complete denjuu list? I would like to test the names.

What I have so far:
http://fast.filespace.org/andwhyisit/TelefangMenuPatch.ips

To Blaziken257: After I am finished my changes later is it posible for you to add the text chages for your patch onto mine? All of the characters below (including the space character) now have the same ascii hex values as those used in the game (I made it that way on purpose), that means that you could pretty much type out the text instead of doing slow TEXT>HEX>TEXT conversions.

Code: Select all

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~
Though on another hand I think I randomised the name input buttons. :o
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Uh, I can't download your patch. Clicking your page leads to an error message.

And thing is, the problem is not TEXT>HEX>TEXT (WindHex lets you load custom text values), but dealing with pointers. Of course, I know HOW to edit pointers in this game, but the problem is that every time I change the length of a quote (for lack of a better word), I have to change the pointer. And if changing the length moves all the other quotes, I have to change ALL those pointers too. It takes a very long time to do that.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote: Uh, I can't download your patch. Clicking your page leads to an error message.
Whoops. Right-click, save as. I need to remember to upload these files as .zip :o
Blaziken257 wrote:And thing is, the problem is not TEXT>HEX>TEXT (WindHex lets you load custom text values), but dealing with pointers. Of course, I know HOW to edit pointers in this game, but the problem is that every time I change the length of a quote (for lack of a better word), I have to change the pointer. And if changing the length moves all the other quotes, I have to change ALL those pointers too. It takes a very long time to do that.
I didn't know about the loading of custom text values, oh well, I don't have to now. :D
Yeah I don't know how to work with pointers but I can do all the 8 char limit stuff (Denjuu and Attack Names for example), the NatMon, SupMon, etc. text, and some of the menu items though, which should make it somewhat playable. I have figured out where the Denjuu names are, and they are ordered numerically, lucky me. :D

Where are the pointers found and how do I identify them?

Anyway I have all of Denjuu names ready to input and will do so tonight. I have also made a bunch of special characters for use with long denjuu names, bear in mind that I have no way of knowing if the special characters look good or crap in the denjuu names without a completed save.

P.S. Is there a way to customise the name input?
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

This link is IMMENSELY useful with it comes to editing pointers:

http://www.romhacks.net/tutorial_pointers.php

Even though it doesn't mention Telefang at all in there, it applies to Telefang. Also be sure to read the instructions specific for GB/GBC games (each system varies slightly).

In this game, the pointers are usually right above the text. So if you can find the text, you can usually find the pointers right above them. I'll post offsets for text and their pointers pretty soon.

And what do you mean by name input? When you enter your name at the very beginning? I'm sure there's a way, but I have NO idea how to do that... are you trying to make so it's ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNO-PRS-TUV-WXY-QZ?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote: This link is IMMENSELY useful with it comes to editing pointers:

http://www.romhacks.net/tutorial_pointers.php

Even though it doesn't mention Telefang at all in there, it applies to Telefang. Also be sure to read the instructions specific for GB/GBC games (each system varies slightly).

In this game, the pointers are usually right above the text. So if you can find the text, you can usually find the pointers right above them. I'll post offsets for text and their pointers pretty soon.
So right next to the text huh. And yes I would very much like that information. Maybe I can do this pointer stuff after all. :)

Still some of it is still confusing for me. :o
Blaziken257 wrote: And what do you mean by name input? When you enter your name at the very beginning? I'm sure there's a way, but I have NO idea how to do that... are you trying to make so it's ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNO-PRS-TUV-WXY-QZ?
Yes, I want to change it to:
ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNO-PQRS-TUV-WXYZ
abc-def-ghi-jkl-mno-pqrs-tuv-wxyz

For the letters though with some symbols to fill the gaps, the numbers work fine so those are not an issue. Those letters are for the 2-9 buttons though, 0 will be used for spaces and 1 for symbols.

Maybe I can check if the letters for each button are stored together.

This is my first time hacking a rom, go me. :D

Is there a way to change the title screen?
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Oh yeah, I've got a Gameshark code to fill up your picture book, you can use that to look at all the Denjuu. I still don't have a list of all the proper names uploaded though.. x_x

01AE76CB
01FFE0C6
01FFE1C6
01FFE2C6
01FFE3C6
01FFE4C6
01FFE5C6
01FFE6C6
01FFE7C6
01FFE8C6
01FFE9C6
01FFEAC6
01FFEBC6
01FFECC6
01FFEDC6
01FFEEC6
01FFEFC6
01FFF0C6
01FFF1C6
01FFF2C6
01FFF3C6
01FFF4C6
013FF5C6
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

I swear the posts are getting longer and longer. :lol:
RacieB wrote: Oh yeah, I've got a Gameshark code to fill up your picture book, you can use that to look at all the Denjuu. I still don't have a list of all the proper names uploaded though.. x_x

01AE76CB
01FFE0C6
01FFE1C6
01FFE2C6
01FFE3C6
01FFE4C6
01FFE5C6
01FFE6C6
01FFE7C6
01FFE8C6
01FFE9C6
01FFEAC6
01FFEBC6
01FFECC6
01FFEDC6
01FFEEC6
01FFEFC6
01FFF0C6
01FFF1C6
01FFF2C6
01FFF3C6
01FFF4C6
013FF5C6
Wait a minute, wasn't the list in the wiki the proper list? Oh well I can go back and change stuff when I have the proper list.

Oh and guess what, I have the name input completely unscrambled so yay my protagonist isn't a bunch of scrambled letters. :D Though I still need to find and edit the preset name.

Do you all want to keep the NatMon/BigMon/SupMon/etc thing or replace it with something else? What is the unit of currency for the game? Has anyone figured out how to edit the tiles for the title screen?

I have done and checked the first 80 denjuu with the help of those codes you sent me, thanks. :D I'll finish off the rest of the denjuu, name entry and evolutionary stages tomorrow and upload. I'll replace the names with the ones from your list as soon as they come in. Maybe I can translate the menu items too. :D

After that I'll try to learn how to use pointers.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, the Wiki does have the proper list, but the problem is that there's an 8-character limit for each Denjuu. This is a problem when you have Denjuu like Kryptoburn, Demobaron, or Shellstellar... or a bunch of other Denjuu that I can't think of at the moment. I think RacieB is trying to come up with 8-character names for everything.

And what do you mean by unscrambled? No more Bek?

Not sure what the NatMon stuff should be called. Maybe keep it...

I think I know how to edit the title screen tiles (and I think I SORTA know how to edit the colors) but I'll look into that later. I haven't had that much experience in editing colors of background tiles without changing everything else.

EDIT: I still couldn't get your patch to work. It seemed to be corrupted.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257,Feb 18 2008 wrote: Yeah, the Wiki does have the proper list, but the problem is that there's an 8-character limit for each Denjuu. This is a problem when you have Denjuu like Kryptoburn, Demobaron, or Shellstellar... or a bunch of other Denjuu that I can't think of at the moment. I think RacieB is trying to come up with 8-character names for everything.
Oh no, that is not an issue. Submit the list if you want, but in a way I already have the name length thing sorted. :D
Blaziken257,Feb 18 2008 wrote:And what do you mean by unscrambled? No more Bek?
I mean the buttons input the correct characters:

ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNO-PQRS-TUV-WXYZ
abc-def-ghi-jkl-mno-pqrs-tuv-wxyz
Though there never was a Bek to start off with. This is a hack of the Japanese power version, so the preset name was a bunch of Japanese characters. Right now due to the lack of Japanese character tiles the preset will be scrambled lettering, I hope to change the preset name to "Shigeki" down the track. (The preset is put there if you cancel out of your character's name input screen without entering anything) But you can input names in English now so yay!
Blaziken257,Feb 18 2008 wrote:I think I know how to edit the title screen tiles (and I think I SORTA know how to edit the colors) but I'll look into that later. I haven't had that much experience in editing colors of background tiles without changing everything else.
I only need to know how to change the tiles into RacieB's version, so there will not be any change in the palette from the Japanese version.
Blaziken257,Feb 18 2008 wrote:EDIT: I still couldn't get your patch to work. It seemed to be corrupted.
You did patch it to the JAPANESE power version and NOT the bootleg version, right? I'll test it when I get home just to be sure.

Once again does anyone know what is the name for the unit of currency (eg. dollars, gil, yen, rupees, pounds, zenny, etc.) used in the denjuu's world?

EDIT: Patch release!!!!
http://www.mediafire.com/?4yflnptly8y

ImageImageImage
I know that name input, attack names and denjuu names don't seem like a big thing but they make the game much easier to play, and this is kinda my first time doing this.

Abakudabaran's name didn't turn out too good, is there a shorter version of it?

I have decided to write the evolutionary stages names in full, does anyone know what the rest are?

There should be nothing wrong with this patch assuming you patch it to the japanese power rom.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Wow, that looks spectacular so far. I was absolutely breaking my brain trying to figure out how to do such a thing. Also, the currency in Telefang is called Chiru (means "to scatter" which I suppose is a reference to it flying out of the grass XD)