Denjuu Exp. Items?

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Blaziken257

Re: Denjuu Exp. Items?

Post by Blaziken257 »

So, I think I found the data for Denjuu Exp. Items. I haven't had the time to test this out yet, but it looks like I found the right spot nonetheless. Anyway, the item for the first Denjuu is at 0x0A9A9B, and after that, it's every nine bytes for each item. I have no idea what the eight bytes in between are. Oh, and the item hex list is the exact same as the one used for Mod/Experimental Evolution:

00 - A-gun
01 - Gun
02 - Revolver
03 - R-gun
04 - Mo-gun
05 - Missile
06 - Bomb
07 - Ma-gun
08 - Sabre
09 - Drill
0A - Jet
0B - Propelle
0C - Dart
0D - Battery
0E - Shooter
0F - Range
10 - Flatiron
11 - Blender
12 - Phone
13 - Antenna
14 - Spanner
15 - Saw
16 - ChainSaw
17 - L-gun
18 - Axe
19 - Screwdri
1A - Screw
1B - Spring
1C - Gear
1D - P-card
1E - Spear
1F - Crane
20 - Dagger
21 - Sickle
22 - Computer
23 - Moving
24 - Hammer
25 - Injector
26 - Camera
27 - Video
28 - Flying
29 - Pencil
2A - Tire
2B - O-bottle
2C - Tap
2D - Bucket
2E - Cleaner
2F - Mouse
30 - Key
31 - Game
32 - Toy
33 - Pengpeng
34 - Racket
35 - Tsita
36 - Luna
37 - Diamond
38 - L-medal
39 - Tayta
3A - Reform1
3B - Reform2
3C - Reform3
3D - Test1
3E - Test2
3F - Test3
40 - Baolan
41 - Gulap
42 - Jigay
43 - Prop

So, basically, here are a few examples:

0xA9A9B - #1 Tsunonasu: Battery (OD)
0xA9AA4 - #2 Kochia: Antenna (13)
0xA9AAD - #3 Oshe: Crane (1F)
0xA9AB6 - #4 Keshi: Range (0F)
0xA9ABF - #5 Crypto: Gun (01)

... And so on.

This should make ripping the exp. items easier now... Though RacieB's site has the first 129 anyway...

Oh, and since experience items are used in mod evolutions, you can only use items 00-39 -- items after that will not show up. Though, I'm curious to whether or not you can use experimental items to give experience when used in experimental evolutions...
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I started getting the remaining ones at some point but never finished, what I did was just gameshark a full item list and manually give each one until I found out what the EXPO item was.. finding it in the code would be much less of a hassle though.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I figured out how it works! OK, so the eight bytes that I couldn't figure out before determine the other experience items. While each Denjuu has one item that gives out lots of experience, there are other items that give Denjuu smaller amount of experience. And there is no limit to how many items there can be (except for the fact that it can only include the first 64 items -- so no Experimental Evolutions can be included here). Actually, it really only include the first 58 items, because six of them, which are the "pass" items, don't show up when doing mod evolutions. Confused? Well, the data actually starts at 0xA9A93, and every bit determines whether an item can be used to give experience or not.

It's a bit complicated, though. You have to take the first eight bytes and then translate them to binary (the calculator that Windows does this nicely in Scientific mode). Then, the confusing part: you have to reverse order of the bits in every byte around. In other words, you start at the least significant bit (the rightmost bit), and end at the most significant bit (the leftmost bit). For example, if a byte is, say, 59 in hex, it would translate to 01011001 in binary, then reversing the order gives 10011010.

Now, you take these bits to determine if an item can be used for experience. If it's a 1, it can be used. If it's a 0, it can't be used.

And the order of the items is in the same order as the list above. Basically, it's this order (I split them up in groups of 8 to make it easier to deal with):

A-gun/Flamethrower
Gun/Gun
Revolver/Revolver
R-gun/Bazooka
Mo-gun/Machine Gun
Missile/Missile
Bomb/Bomb
Ma-gun/Gatling Gun

Sabre/Sabre
Drill/Drill
Jet/Jet Engine
Propelle/Propeller Engine
Dart/Shuriken
Battery/Battery
Shooter/Archery Set
Range/Microwave

Flatiron/Iron
Blender/Mixer
Phone/Telephone
Antenna/Antenna
Spanner/Spanner
Saw/Saw
ChainSaw/Chainsaw
L-gun/Beam Gun

Axe/Axe
Screwdri/Screwdriver
Screw/Screw
Spring/Spring
Gear/Gear
P-card/Telecard
Spear/Lance
Crane/Crane

Dagger/Army Knife
Sickle/Sickle
Computer/Computer
Moving/Laptop
Hammer/Hammer
Injector/Syringe
Camera/Camera
Video/Video Camera

Flying/Frypan
Pencil/Pencil
Tire/Tire
O-bottle/Gas Tank
Tap/Faucet
Bucket/Bucket
Cleaner/Vacuum
Mouse/Mouse

Key/Key
Game/Game Machine
Toy/Plush
Pengpeng/Comic BonBon
Racket/Scooter
Tsita/Titarium
Luna/Lunatium
Diamond/Giamond

L-medal/Round Medal
Tayta/Titanyum
Reform1/Mod Pass 1
Reform2/Mod Pass 2
Reform3/Mod Pass 3
Test1/Experimental Pass 1
Test2/Experimental Pass 2
Test3/Experimental Pass 3

Now, let's use Tsunonasu as an example. It starts at 0xA9A93 and ends at 0xA9A9B. Here is its data:

40 60 04 20 04 41 0E 00 0D

Now let's analyze it. Take the first eight bytes (don't do the 9th one; that's the Denjuu's primary Exp item, which I went over in the first post):

40 60 04 20 04 41 0E 00

Now, translate them to binary:

01000000 01100000 00000100 00100000 00000100 01000001 00001110 00000000

Now, reverse the bits, one byte at a time (do not reverse the bytes themselves):

00000010 00000110 00100000 00000100 00100000 10000010 01110000 00000000

Now we can tell which items can be used for experience. Go through each bit, one at a time, and go through the item list along with it. To repeat, 0 means it can't be used, while 1 means it CAN be used.

The 7th bit is a 1. Similarly, the 7th item in the list is a Bomb. Therefore, Tsunonasu can get some Experience points with a Bomb.

The 14th bit is also a 1. And the 14th item is a Battery. So Tsunonasu can get experience with a Battery as well.

You probably get the idea. If you did this right, you'll see that Tsunonasu can get Experience with the Bomb, Battery, Archery Set, Telephone, Telecard (duh), Computer, Frypan, Vacuum, Game Machine, Plush, and Comic BonBon.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

... That's the hardest way and the most complicated one, I would never do this with the data... But I guess if you have the space...

Nice job.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Storing it like that is efficient though, since it only uses one BIT per item (not byte). And that way, there are different amounts of items to be used for every Denjuu.

Besides, this isn't the only time I've seen things stored bit by bit. Both this game and Pokémon do this to store which Denjuu/Pokémon you've seen and captured (one bit per Denjuu/Pokémon), and I think Pokémon also does this with badges you've gotten (one bit per badge, and since most games have 8 badges, this only takes up one byte in RAM). And Wario Land 3 uses this method to store which keys you have (since there are 4 keys, it also takes up one byte, and the other 4 bits are unused).

And I think there are other examples of this too...
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Haha, that's ridiculous, why did they do that? I always figured the other EXP items were generic ones that all Denjuu could use, like the phone and plush and whatever. Actually, now I'm wondering, are those also the items they like being given as gifts?
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

RacieB wrote: Actually, now I'm wondering, are those also the items they like being given as gifts?
Hmmm, good question. It might, it might not. Thing is, there are a lot more Denjuu that get experience from Telecards than Denjuu that you can use them on to get DNA items. I still need to figure that out...
swampert22(imported)

Post by swampert22(imported) »

This is very useful information Blaziken257! I shall be including this in the next release of my Denjuu Editor. It's pretty easy to program actually, as I have come across this in Pokémon.

Which TMs are compatible with which Pokémon is stored like this. I shall lay it out with simple check boxes so one can simply click on an item to activate it or cancel it :lol:

Is there are completely translated list of items?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

swampert22 wrote: Is there are completely translated list of items?
The list in the third post has it.
swampert22(imported)

Post by swampert22(imported) »

andwhyisit wrote:
swampert22 wrote: Is there are completely translated list of items?
The list in the third post has it.
Haha so there is :lol:

Is this the finalised list?