8-char Denjuu Names

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Re: 8-char Denjuu Names

Post by andwhyisit »

Is it possible to create a series of names, based on the translated names in wikifang, that fit within the 8-char limit? I want to try and have less ugly Denjuu names in v16.

040 Cryarm
055 Cotinus
060 Cryride
113 Crysnipe
123 Cryburn
158 Cryarmor
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Umm, I tried but there are some which really cannot fit into 8 letters (e.g. Noriutsugi, Shellstera, Wormiterala, Spearneedle and many more). Is it okay for some to exceed the limit of 8?
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

You mean chopping some shorter and compacting others, right? D: Like "Noriutsu" or "Shelstra", etc...?

It puts us right back in the same place as the bootleg, but I guess there's really no way around it at the moment... ;__;
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

I'd prefer ugly to mangled anyway. :/
Like Kimbles said, if we don't care about messed-up names we can just play the bootleg.

Good luck, anyway.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Nuuu! D:

Just imaginc Cryptoknight being Crptkngt makes me cry D:
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote: You mean chopping some shorter and compacting others, right? D: Like "Noriutsu" or "Shelstra", etc...?

It puts us right back in the same place as the bootleg, but I guess there's really no way around it at the moment... ;__;
I mean grabbing the meaning behind the name and recreating it for 8 letters, or shortening it, but not by just cutting it off at the 8-char mark. I intend for this to be better quality than the bootleg.
Sanky wrote:Nuuu! D:

Just imaginc Cryptoknight being Crptkngt makes me cry D:
How about this:
Crypto, Cryarm, Cryride, Crysnipe, Cryarmor(Cryptoknight)?
Kimbles(imported)

andwhyisit wrote:How about this:
Crypto, Cryarm, Cryride, Crysnipe, Cryarmor(Cryptoknight)?
...*cries* D:

Aaah, to be honest though I agree that shorter patch names would be better, and I don't think there's any shame in using them now since we have been exploring the other options and are really just waiting on finding someone with assembly knowledge? D: *sigh*

That said, after putting together the list of names, the last thing I want to do is go through and break them all... >_>; So indeed, I support the idea, but would rather stay out...? *nod*

So... how do you plan to shorten, say, Hagumanoki? XD
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote:Aaah, to be honest though I agree that shorter patch names would be better, and I don't think there's any shame in using them now since we have been exploring the other options and are really just waiting on finding someone with assembly knowledge? D: *sigh*
I can totally see myself with a sign that says "will design website for VWF and/or tile decompression". :lol:
Kimbles wrote:So... how do you plan to shorten, say, Hagumanoki? XD
Cotinus? Haguman? Pick one.
Kimbles(imported)

If it wasn't nonsensical I would pick "Hagunoki" because I think that sounds adorable. >___>

"Cotinus" is probably best, though... *cringe* Because it's what it looks like to japanese players? D; *wince*
...Hagumanoki is my favourite denjuu name... XD *sigh*

Edit: Here's a list of which Denjuu need renaming... XD
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

019 Freesia? *cringe* Uh.. no. Lapeir? Lapirosa? Even worse. *bangs head on desk*
027 Hydran?
167 Ornith?

Gah! This is so difficult.