Re: Telefang 1 english logo

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Diamond(imported)

Post by Diamond(imported) »

Something just struck'd me !
People who don't know telefang,
if they see the logo, wouldn't they read Telefahg ?

do you see what I mean ?
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

Personally, I think it would look better with all the letters balanced out since the only reason it's still jagged is because of the tile restrictions. Balancing all the letters out is probably how a real company translating Telefang would have done it too, plus it looks nice too as you've all said, so it kinda makes sense. It's up to you guys though, i'm just adding my two cents to the kitty (ie. moneybox) :3
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Alrighty, I found the routine that writes GBC extended attributes to the tile mapping table, and I might be able to find the thing that writes the OAM sprites too if it's near the rest of the titlescreen code. Still have to reverse engineer them, though...

In order to actually fit a modified title screen with the N and G on the same baseline, we need to alter two of the right tiles to use the kana pallete instead of the grey pallete, move down two OAM sprites, and we're good. Also, the kanji at the top only has a 4x2 range of tiles with that particular color pallete attribute. The way you've drawn "Mobile Phone Beast" exceeds this range and thus also needs attribute changes. Fortunately, since you made "TELEFANG" much thinner than the original kana, we can actually reuse some of the tiles originally palleted for kana to instead be colored with the kanji pallete. So we won't have any attribute clash. Hopefully it should just be a matter of twiddling a few bytes, injecting the modified graphics, and that's it. But I'm not sure, and this code might be less straightforward than I hope.

EDIT 01: Well, I found how it generates the sprite entries, and where they're stored in ROM, so I'm about to start actually editing those bytes to see if it changes anything. If so we're halfway to moving down that G.

EDIT 02: SUCCESS! I actually do have the pointers to all the precomposed sprite lists that make up the titlescreen OAM contents. The kana I need to bring down to extend out the G lives in the sprite list at Bank 0x1E:43A7 (in flat addressing, i.e the position if you loaded the ROM in a hex editor, that's 0x283A7. The first byte is range, and it's a sort-of-array of OAM entries, although they don't get blindly copied to OAM. The game does some funky things to the entries which I can detail if anyone wants me to pastebin my findings.

Back to hacking...

EDIT 03: Here's a picture of what my branch ROM looks like right now. I'm modifying the beta-v39 but this hack could also be applied to base or any other version, really. You'll also notice the kana now overlaps with the red bar a bit - that sprite I could technically remove, but I don't want to actually shorten the sprite list just yet so it's there. This is just a proof-of-concept so far.

EDIT 04: After talking a bit on IRC I reapplied my work so far on an up-to-date version of the translation patch with the titlescreen already inserted. Still working on altering the tilemaps so we can get that G all the way down.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

kmeisthax wrote:Alrighty, I found the routine that writes GBC extended attributes to the tile mapping table, and I might be able to find the thing that writes the OAM sprites too if it's near the rest of the titlescreen code. Still have to reverse engineer them, though...

In order to actually fit a modified title screen with the N and G on the same baseline, we need to alter two of the right tiles to use the kana pallete instead of the grey pallete, move down two OAM sprites, and we're good. Also, the kanji at the top only has a 4x2 range of tiles with that particular color pallete attribute. The way you've drawn "Mobile Phone Beast" exceeds this range and thus also needs attribute changes. Fortunately, since you made "TELEFANG" much thinner than the original kana, we can actually reuse some of the tiles originally palleted for kana to instead be colored with the kanji pallete. So we won't have any attribute clash. Hopefully it should just be a matter of twiddling a few bytes, injecting the modified graphics, and that's it. But I'm not sure, and this code might be less straightforward than I hope.

EDIT 01: Well, I found how it generates the sprite entries, and where they're stored in ROM, so I'm about to start actually editing those bytes to see if it changes anything. If so we're halfway to moving down that G.

EDIT 02: SUCCESS! I actually do have the pointers to all the precomposed sprite lists that make up the titlescreen OAM contents. The kana I need to bring down to extend out the G lives in the sprite list at Bank 0x1E:43A7 (in flat addressing, i.e the position if you loaded the ROM in a hex editor, that's 0x283A7. The first byte is range, and it's a sort-of-array of OAM entries, although they don't get blindly copied to OAM. The game does some funky things to the entries which I can detail if anyone wants me to pastebin my findings.

Back to hacking...

EDIT 03: Here's a picture of what my branch ROM looks like right now. I'm modifying the beta-v39 but this hack could also be applied to base or any other version, really. You'll also notice the kana now overlaps with the red bar a bit - that sprite I could technically remove, but I don't want to actually shorten the sprite list just yet so it's there. This is just a proof-of-concept so far.

EDIT 04: After talking a bit on IRC I reapplied my work so far on an up-to-date version of the translation patch with the titlescreen already inserted. Still working on altering the tilemaps so we can get that G all the way down.
Instead of doing that can you simply reposition an unused sprite (sprite 0F for example) in the empty space under the current G? I can then redraw the G to use the repositioned sprite and line up with the other letters.

Also can you show me how to do it myself? I want to try and fix that excessive gap beside and below the T at some point in the future.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Well, I copied and pasted my notes file of all the findings I did so far, here:

http://pastebin.com/yMNG66Jx

The first section deals with precomposed sprite lists, which are used to put stuff into OAM RAM. The thing is the lists are tightly packed together, which means that I can't just add another sprite to the list without shoving everything over and causing a massive amount of breakage. I might be able to find some unused space in the bank to copy it to, however. I'll look into that.

EDIT 01: DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS. http://i.imgur.com/hLryB.png The bank with the sprite listings is chock full of empty bytes, so you get your empty sprite. You can see it in the OAM viewer, it takes tile 0x0F in VRAM, i.e. right next to the OAM sprite tiles. If you want I can prepare an IPS patch and send it to you...
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

kmeisthax wrote:Well, I copied and pasted my notes file of all the findings I did so far, here:

http://pastebin.com/yMNG66Jx

The first section deals with precomposed sprite lists, which are used to put stuff into OAM RAM. The thing is the lists are tightly packed together, which means that I can't just add another sprite to the list without shoving everything over and causing a massive amount of breakage. I might be able to find some unused space in the bank to copy it to, however. I'll look into that.

EDIT 01: DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS. http://i.imgur.com/hLryB.png The bank with the sprite listings is chock full of empty bytes, so you get your empty sprite. You can see it in the OAM viewer, it takes tile 0x0F in VRAM, i.e. right next to the OAM sprite tiles. If you want I can prepare an IPS patch and send it to you...
That would be great. Thanks. ^_^
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Done. I made some modifications to the sprites again - at first I thought you wanted me to add a sprite with tile 0f, but then I realized 0f already existed after I made the hack so I cut off the other sprite list. This meant removing another unused sprite with tile 10, which I readded in the new sprite list. As the sprite was in a rather useless location it's now been moved to below the 0f sprite, which is below the G. So it's a more square layout now overall.

The IPS file is available on mediafire, it patches against the base "Telefang Power Version (J) [c][!].gbc". This has the modified sprite layout you requested.
Diamond(imported)

Post by Diamond(imported) »

Here the new logo from the latest translation patch

I think the T is still strange but I don't know how we can make it better.

What do you think ?
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Does the G take up two spaces, or was it just scooted down? Cause it might balance better if it was lengthened to match the T in height.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

My hack just added more space for the G, and then new graphics were injected to move the G down. Although if you were to do this I would recommend thinning that super-large N first. So yes, you could make the G taller, it has space both under it (sprite tile 11, 10) and above it (bg tile 1B, 1C).

If you wanted to move the stem of the T to the left, I would move all the letters with it so it's still flush. This will also give you extra space for the larger G. You have room in the sprite mapping to do this: look at the empty sprites with tile 08 and 0B.