Re: Chinese Telefang 2 Bootleg

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

What am I, crazy?
Okay, we get the intro and a classic bootleg tittle screen. So what now?
Actually nothing, because the game crashes when entering a menu. Bummer. So what do we do? What other then load a savestate!
ImageImageImage
Yeah, another chinese bootleg.
ImageImageImageImage
Seems like all the attacks and items have placeholder names. Seiran is called Seiran, well, because I loaded a savestate >_>

Milnivri said that the translation is pretty good. Expect for the denjuu names.

Oh, and actually I've got a power and a speed version. The speed is actually better, because the menu works, however it's pretty messed up.
Download the Power version here. Apply the patch to a clean Telefang 2 Power rom.
Download the Speed version here. Apply the patch to a clean Telefang 2 Speed rom.

I downloaded these on an obscure chinese site with lots of other GBA bootlegs too.
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Okay, I take back my words. The translation isn't pretty good - it's not that good. Maybe quite bad. >_>

I just realised that the title screen said Pokemon Diamond 2.

Translations in the bootleg:
Midori -> Mili
Takedama -> Shila
Rex -> The one who returns to the right or Huizuodezhe
Sparsa -> Shilaila

Oh well. It's better than the other bootleg.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

HOLY. ****ING. CRAP. This is epic. I never thought I'd see the day where someone would find a Chinese bootleg of this game. I know someone said they had an Engrish bootleg, but still. I can't believe this actually exists. Nice find!

I find it interesting that, like the first one, they tried to make it into a Pokémon title, and that the moves just have index numbers. Is it as glitchy as the first Pokémon Diamond (other than the menu that doesn't load)?

By the way, that Arcanine is really poorly drawn. And the title screen in general is crap. Just like the first one.

And the font isn't ridiculously huge, unlike the first one (except where it was already large in the first place...)

Finally, linking to that ROM site is still technically a violation of this TOS... they're derivative works...
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Blaziken257 wrote: HOLY. ****ING. CRAP. This is epic. I never thought I'd see the day where someone would find a Chinese bootleg of this game. I know someone said they had an Engrish bootleg, but still. I can't believe this actually exists. Nice find!
Haha thanks.
wrote:I find it interesting that, like the first one, they tried to make it into a Pokémon title, and that the moves just have index numbers. Is it as glitchy as the first Pokémon Diamond (other than the menu that doesn't load)?
Well the only glitchy thing is that the menu doesn't work (power) or looks like crap (speed). Otherwise it seems to work perfectly fine.
wrote:And the font isn't ridiculously huge, unlike the first one (except where it was already large in the first place...)
Actually it is the same size as the T1 bootleg is. Yes, the font is small in battles, but that makes it really unreadable I guess.
wrote:Finally, linking to that ROM site is still technically a violation of this TOS... they're derivative works...
My stupidity, my stupidity, I made sure do distribute only the patch and I post a link to a rom site! DUH >__<''
garm(imported)

Post by garm(imported) »

Wow, another Chinese name for Pokemon. There's thousands of variations. ~_~
I can't be bothered to download it at the moment (my comp's cluttered with rubbish), meh. I think the 'Diamond 2' on the title screen looks crappy with its colour and font.

How exactly does the Speed version look like crap? I'm interested.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I tried out the Speed patch and it's weird. It seems to be the same as Power, but with some differences. First, the title screen is even weirder than the fake Power one:
What is that thing? A poorly drawn Aerodactyl? And what is that... thing... under it? A poorly drawn egg? And they couldn't even move the Press Start thing at the bottom, so it obstructs it.
(One thing worth noting though: How did they change the title screen in the first place? In the Japanese versions of both Telefang games, the tiles for the title screen are compressed!)

This is what the phone looks like. As you can see the tiles are garbled.

Another screenshot. You'll notice there's kanji now (I think this was compressed too though). And more glitched tiles, not to mention the lack of a reception bar or any batteries.

Finally, one last thing: When you start the game, this is what appears instead of the Smilesoft logo! WTF?

And this is what appears instead of the Natsume logo! And yes, for some reason, the "I" comes after "II" which is strange.

The intro is the same though. And they managed to keep the colors intact too. No monochrome backgrounds in this one!

And I don't really need to mention anything else, as Sanky already did that. Hehe.

I couldn't get the Power patch to work though.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Well I think the Smilesoft and Natsume logo replacement is supposted to mean something like 3-2-1 >__>

Also just noticed this.
Haha english. And it even wasn't in the original, too!

Looked into the ROM. There are, like, three or more "fonts" scattered through the rom, each with 255 chinese characters. Well it makes sense, but o.O
garm(imported)

Post by garm(imported) »

That thing on the title screen is a Charizard, with horrible colouring. The Arcanine art looks professional compared to it. And considering the 'diamonds' on the diamond title screen, that egg thing might be a jade? :\
Is the intro scene intact? Like, the part where Doon/Gyuun appears and the blue-hair boy calls Rex.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

wrote:That thing on the title screen is a Charizard, with horrible colouring. The Arcanine art looks professional compared to it. And considering the 'diamonds' on the diamond title screen, that egg thing might be a jade? :\
A Charizard ? \: I think it's just stolen from somewhere, much like the T1 bootlegs. But the jade actually makes sence!
wrote:Is the intro scene intact? Like, the part where Doon/Gyuun appears and the blue-hair boy calls Rex.
Yes, fully intact.

EDIT: Heeeeey...! Look at the Pokémon Jade box and cart... Isn't it the same jade/egg as on the tittle screen?
ImageImage
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Yeah.. the Speed title screen says Pokemon Jade 2.