Kimbles needs our help!

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
DeKaFu

Re: Kimbles needs our help!

Post by DeKaFu »

But she's too embarassed to ask for it, so I'm posting for her. D:

Pretty much, the deal is that Kimbles is attempting to bid on and win the Japanese magazines containing the first 3 chapters of the Telefang 2 manga, and part of the Bugsite manga, neither of which was ever reprinted in volumes. This means that they are very hard to find, and this might be our only real opportunity to get them scanned.

The trouble is that the auctions are on Yahoo Japan Auctions, which means the only way to buy them is through a proxy service. This is always extremely expensive, because not only do you have to pay for the items and shipping, you also have to pay a considerable fee on each auction and pay for the shipping overseas to you.

We last used a proxy service to buy the Telefang/Bugsite/Dino Device guides and Telefang manga. The cost of the actual items was only about $30 CAD, but after all the shipping and fees it ended up costing $150 CAD. >__> So you see.

Basically, we can't strictly afford this auction right now. It would be really awesome if the people of Tulunk could get together and help try to cover part of the cost.

I want to be clear that we're not "charging" for it or threatening not to buy it if we don't get money for it. In fact, Kimbles has already put in the bids and downpayment for it, so there's no going back now.

Andwhyisit offered to pay up to $100 to help buy these (awesome), but personally I think it would be really nice if everyone was able to chip in smaller amounts instead. Even just $5 or $10 would help. That way nobody would have to pay a huge amount...

Anyway, we might still lose some of the auctions and we'll have no way of knowing the total fees until well after it ends, so there's no point in sending any money until then.

If anyone does decide to help out, I can post the total amount it's costing after the process is finished. It'll probably be a few weeks. That'd also give us time to figure out how to actually recieve money from people.... :P

Again, this isn't required, I'm just throwing this out in case anyone wants to help.

**P.S. We live in Canada so this is in Canadian dollars (CAD), which are worth less than American dollars and more than Australian dollars, but I don't know about other countries.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

I may contribute more since CAD is a bit more forgiving than USD at the moment, plus it sounds like you guys will need it. The AUD to USD conversion rates were depressingly bad last I checked.

Though I might start uploading the Telefang 1 RAWs we have in the meantime. (EDIT: http://mangahelpers.com/m/keitai-denjuu-telefang_1 )

To Kimbles:
Do you really need more scanning work?! :blink:

To everyone else:
Just think how much you would be willing to spend on Telefang 2 and Bugsite manga if you ever found it at the markets/store/etc and try to contribute that, because that is what you will be getting in the end.
garm(imported)

Post by garm(imported) »

I won't be able to help anyway D: (my mother will never approve of this, and I don't have my free money to spend since I'm still a kid >_>), but I'm just curious: How much are these magazines selling for? Without the shipping costs and whatever crap added?
I mean since they are auctions their price will increase, but if I'm not wrong auctions have this 'starting price', right? ^^'

I'm just a useless crap but I'll say good luck with this ^^
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

I, unfortunately, am still a kid, too. I *may* be able to send something thru my dad's paypal. Does Kimbles have paypal? Tis' the only way I could help...
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

There are 4 auctions, and they're starting at 500 yen each. That's close to $7 CAD, so assuming nobody else bids at all it'd cost a bare minimum of $28. Our max bid is much higher, but we're kinda hoping it doesn't come to that...XD

Also, the proxy fees are seperate for each single auction, so if we win all four they'll add up to $20-$40. And then there's shipping in Japan, bank fees, and shipping overseas....which I'm guessing from past experience will add another $30-50. >_>

Like I said, even if we do win everything there's no real way of knowing exactly how much it'll cost total until afterwards, but it's basically guarenteed to be a lot. :/

It doesn't help that yen appear to be worth more than usual compared to dollars right now...But it's not like this is something we can wait on. :/

Sanky: I'm working on setting up a paypal account, it should be working by the time the auction process is over. So yeah, that should work...XD
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Please don't count with it. But I'll do my best to at least help somehow.
Kid Sonic(imported)

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

The real trick is to start bidding at the very last second.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

^Which is the point of maximum bids. But yeah, that helps.

Anyway, as for me, I unfortunately have only so much to spend right now, so I can't promise anything. I'd love to, but I may not necessarily be able to do it. I may chip in about US $10, but like I said, I can't promise it.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Erghhh I would chip in if I could access my bank details to dump something into my paypal account.. all of that stuff is at home though.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Looks like Kimbles got everything at the starting price if my assumption about the auction page info is correct. So according to DeKaFu that is $28 plus $50-$90 in fees. ~$78-$118 isn't too bad. Congrats.