Re: RNG

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
jlun2

Post by jlun2 »

Uh.......it's been a while, I guess. :s

Because of a certain new discovery, I became re-remotivated to do the run again. I tried to find out the RNG, and I've managed to narrow it to 3 addresses, but kinda stumped on how it works.

0x03005E10 - 4 bytes - unsigned
0x03005E08 - 2 bytes unsigned
0x03002A1C - 1 byte unsigned

Changing the first 2 definitely affects the drops; as noted in the post below the one I linked, changing the former to d28de7bb and the later to 1d20 always gives 1 herb + 4 coins.

The 3rd address confuses me. It seems if I freeze it to one value, say, "0", it'll give me different drops from the grass compared to changing it to "1". Also, Even if I freeze all 3 addresses, it seems enemies still inflict constant damage. I'm wondering if it's either a set "pattern" of some sort that each value can have, or is it another RNG. I have a feeling it's the later former, since freezing all 3 desynced my .vbm :P
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

でんま is Denma, basically Special :P Also, here's a list of items in Telefang 2, there are quite a lot of dummy items that look like herbs and do nothing.
jlun2

Post by jlun2 »

RacieB wrote:でんま is Denma, basically Special :P Also, here's a list of items in Telefang 2, there are quite a lot of dummy items that look like herbs and do nothing.
http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/GBx/Telefang.html

Huh. Well, that was kinda dumb of me to do. >.>

Oh well, at least the addresses and the shop prices seemed to be new. :P
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Yeah, the prices are especially useful xD

Actually there is still an unknown variable regarding evolution items... say a Denjuu has a Sky-type evolution, you can use any Sky-type item on it to achieve that evolution but the result will have different stats depending on the specific item used. I haven't tested whether these stats are different per item or per species (ie do they have favored items as in T1 that give better stat boosts, because it does appear that way at first glance.) Not RNG related but I wanted to make note of that XP
jlun2

Post by jlun2 »

I know this is a very late bump, but I think I got new insight on the battle RNG

Freezing 03002C16 to 0x5 causes the damage dealt value, 03002A0B, to reroll every frame. After trail and error, it appears if all of the following are frozen simultaneously, the damage dealt value stops rerolling:

*03005E08
*03005E10

All 3 being 4 byte values. Similarly, freezing them also stops the "hit/miss" address, 03002C14, to stop being changed when 03002C16 is set to 0x3F.

Edit: Curiously, if 03000840 was set to 0 then frozen, the bottom 2 would change but damage dealt would not be rerolled. Changing it to any non-zero value however would then cause the behaviour in the above paragraph.