Re: Telefang 2 English Bootleg

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

It's... awesome...
more screens (yes I know that one screenshot is there twice, my mistake)
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE SCREENSHOTS: The Denjuu in screenshots with yellow border have nicknames. In the game, they are called differently. Menus in the screenshots with red borders were acessed using a savestate (because they won't load). Thus things, that are actually translated (when the game is played on a real cart) are here left untranslated.

Some random facts:
In the denjuu picture book, every description is just "OK!!" (it was same for all denjuu in the Chinese bootleg, again proving that they are related).
No denjuu name is longer then five characters it seems.
The moves are weird, too. VTStrike! Stonball! QC-Paced!
But, aside from that, the translations are a LOT better then Diamond/Jade. The only thing they suffer from is being translated from crappy Chinese.

NOTE: All I'm getting right now is a bad dump where the menu doesn't work. I'm trying to figure out why. I'll eventually get it fixed. So, to actually get past the title screen, just load an savestate.

I want to keep the ROM private for now (don't want to spread the bad dump, I'll wait until I dump one with working menu), but every member of Tulunk is free to contact me and I'll send it to them.

Before you write me about the ROM, ask yourself a question: do you want to hack and test the game, or just play it? If it's the latter, then the ROM is not for you!
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I'm curious to how you found that. I can tell these are the same pirates because the title screen is similar! Except it has Groudon instead. And that font is hideous. I take it back when I say the original Diamond and Jade have the worst font I've ever seen in a video game. THIS is now the worst font I've seen in a game. The letters don't even align properly, and the lowercase letters are all different sizes. And what's with the uneven padding on every letter? Seriously, what am I looking at? Bad fonts can really kill a game too.

The move names are really weird too, and so are the Denjuu names. Leku? Dorin? And what's with "War" instead of "Fight"? And finally, what's with the setup on the phone? It's supposed to be ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNO-PQRS-TUV-WXYZ. Not a-f-k-p-u-z-b-c-d-%-e-!! At least they HAVE that feature unlike the original though.

Can it save properly? And can you dial secret Denjuu?

Seriously, though, what am I looking at here... I can't believe my eyes.

And I still can't over that font... I never thought I'd see the day where I'd hate a font more than Diamond/Jade.

And I'm also curious to what they named the items...
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

wrote:I'm curious to how you found that.
Remember when I posted a thread about Drakencarver's bootleg? Yeah, this is it. Dumped by me :3
wrote:And finally, what's with the setup on the phone? It's supposed to be ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNO-PQRS-TUV-WXYZ. Not a-f-k-p-u-z-b-c-d-%-e-!! At least they HAVE that feature unlike the original though.
Actually, when you press A multiple times, you get the next letter. And you can switch the phone to display g-h-i-j-l-m-n-o-r-%-w-!. Both of these screens are lowecase. And then to the original ABC-DEF-GHI-JKL-MNO-PRQ-STU-VWX-YZ (these are capitals). And then to 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-*-0-#.
wrote:Can it save properly? And can you dial secret Denjuu?
On the cart, everything works properly. You can't save/load on this rom because the menu won't load... It actually exists and works fine (on real cart or when savestate-loaded), but when you try to open it, it gets into some weird loop or something. It's not an emulator issue, because Normmatt tested the rom on his gba.
wrote:And I'm also curious to what they named the items...
Nail, Hook, KiteThrd, Rope, PPrKnife, SvKnife, Lighter, DryLight, Mirror, Recorder... Not bad if you ask me.
onyxraven(imported)

Post by onyxraven(imported) »

I shall watch this eagerly, once the menus sorted, i'll be very happy. Engrish it may be, but it's just fun that way, and i have to admit, i enjoyed "pokemon diamond" the bootleg original, more then i enjoyed the real pokemon diamond of later years! Engrish and all. :)
rjed(imported)

Post by rjed(imported) »

uhm, Sanky..can i have a copy of that rom..
i want to try this bootleg....just PM me
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Sent.
To others waiting for the menu-enabled version, don't get your hopes up. Unless some hacker that knows assembly could remove the infinite loop, we're stuck with this version... /:
If you have any questions, though, feel free to ask.
rjed(imported)

Post by rjed(imported) »

thanks Sanky :)
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sanky wrote:Sent.
To others waiting for the menu-enabled version, don't get your hopes up. Unless some hacker that knows assembly could remove the infinite loop, we're stuck with this version... /:
If you have any questions, though, feel free to ask.
Can I have a copy? It should be somewhat legal since I own the original game. I want to have a look at the problem and attempt to solve it.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Alright. Thanks, Andwhy.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Not sure if this belongs here but the dump was repeated in the rom after $7FFFFF as padding until $1FFFFFF, which is why the dump is 32mb in size and the original rom is 8mb in size.

I have removed the padding and created a patch to apply to the Japanese power version rom:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ojz2ytjqmme
(EDIT: Is it alright if I put the link here?)

I have also created a list of differences between the original and the bootleg that is big enough to crash notepad:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lywggmoxu1y

Is it possible to dump the original power version in the same way? I would like to see the differences between the good power dump (internet) and your power dump and search for those differences in the bootleg dump. It would make searching that metaphorical haystack of a rom much easier.

Also as a side note, where did you get your backup device from? I am looking to get one for Jade.