Re: Telefang 2 English Bootleg

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sanky wrote:EDIT: When using the dumper on my M3i Zero, it reports "This hardware is not available." and the DS turns off upon pressing A. |:
It doesn't work on M3 cards because Rudolph was asked to remove all support of M3 products from his software.
One thing I felt was worth mentioning is that if the header and save data info looks incorrect then you most likely have the cart inserted incorrectly, which could be what happened to your last dump. If something looks wrong then choose to switch the cart with X and reinsert the cart.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

I see, alright. I'm borrowing the EDGE to try again. I'll report back when I get hold of it.
News.
http://telefang.wikia.com/index.php?title=Telefang_2&diff=13154&oldid=12471
Seems like there's a Sapphire bootleg, too. It is also reported as not working on a DS, while my Ruby one does. Interesting.
Let's wait for more information, I've asked them on their talk page!

EDIT: Also merging posts after four months is kinda dumb.
icecold(imported)

Post by icecold(imported) »

just reading about this makes me want to play it but sadly theres no chance for me Q.Q, not sure if you guys are still working on it but its nice to see theres a few that still cares for it ^^.
Jdbye(imported)

Post by Jdbye(imported) »

I have some good news. With some help from Normmatt, I've managed to extract the script from this bootleg.
It should be able to be reinserted into the original game using Atlas, circumventing the main menu crash the bootleg has.

However, Atlas doesn't seem to work for me. It seems to be stuck after "Parsing - 0 errors, 0 warnings", unless it just takes a really long time.
I use the Atlas files from here, as it's already configured for Telefang: https://raw.github.com/moozilla/Telefang-2-English-Translation-Project

If anyone is interested, I've uploaded the directory with all the files I used: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8225581/Telefang_2_Translation_Files.rar
And here's just the script, if people are interested then we could work on fixing all the spelling/grammar errors: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8225581/tf2_bootleg_script_000.txt
Merc

Post by Merc »

Jdbye wrote:I have some good news. With some help from Normmatt, I've managed to extract the script from this bootleg.
It should be able to be reinserted into the original game using Atlas, circumventing the main menu crash the bootleg has.
If you actually manage to get this working then that would be awesome. I've been wanting to play Telefang 2.
Jdbye(imported)

Merc wrote:
Jdbye wrote:I have some good news. With some help from Normmatt, I've managed to extract the script from this bootleg.
If you actually manage to get this working then that would be awesome. I've been wanting to play Telefang 2.
Been wanting to play it myself. I've been checking every so often if there was any progress on a translation, but nothing.
All I found was a github with the script data.

Then I found this place, and found out there's a fully translated bootleg and that there's a ROM of it.
So I thought, how did that guy on github extract the data, maybe I could do the same to the bootleg?

So here I am now, trying to insert the extracted script with Atlas and not having a lot of success so far :P
I'm just going to let it sit at least overnight and see if it finishes. If not, I'll ask Normmatt to help me out some more, as according to him this should work, even though the script was extracted from Power and is being inserted into Speed - the reason for that is simply that Normmatt's ASM hacks to enhance the text rendering (variable width font and lowercase support) would be useful, especially as the script already contains lowercase characters, and these aren't yet compatible with Power.

I'm actually kind of surprised no one has thought to try this yet, it seemed like the easiest way to get a fully working, translated Telefang 2 ROM.
The item names aren't in the script, but I have a plan for those as well - according to Normmatt I should be able to just insert the script into a ROM patched with the old translation patch that had most of the item names translated, no guarantees, but if that doesn't work Normmatt might have some other ideas.
Jdbye(imported)

Small bump, big news.
Image:
Spoiler!
It turns out my problem with inserting the script (Atlas hanging and then crashing) was due to the font table having unix line endings instead of windows ones.

Here is the IPS patch: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8225581/Telefang%202%20Power%20Eng%20Trans.ips
This is far from perfect though. A lot of NPCs aren't translated, I must not have extracted the entire script. Still, everything plot related or important so far seems to be translated even though I have only played for a few minutes, so it seems playable.
Battles are translated, item names are translated, the main menu however is not, but you can probably figure out what the different menu items do.
Merc

Post by Merc »

Awesome work nonetheless. At least you have some sort of visible progress.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I'm pretty sure Power 2 and Speed 2 have different text offsets, are you sure that's not the problem?
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Yeah, it looks like the text you posted is only the first part of the script. The text locations seem to match up pretty well with the Japanese game, so this list should help you with finding the rest of it:
http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/wiki/User:Kimbles/T2_Translation_Notes

(BTW, think you could put that screenshot in a spoiler tag or upload a smaller one? It's breaking the topic for me. :S)