The Psychoanalysis of a Denjuu

Post things about the Telefang series, and aren't about a particular Telefang game here.
Zapchu25(imported)

Re: The Psychoanalysis of a Denjuu

Post by Zapchu25(imported) »

Even though we tend to believe that Denjuu have the full mental capacity of any sentient being, we tend to still attribute a sense of "sheeplike" behavior to them, due to the games "monster-catching" focus. But if we look deeply into a individual Denjuu, perhaps we can flesh out a more interesting character, one that is more believable, or perhaps even lovable.
Let's take Toronko Village as an example. Except for a few random humans, the town is inhabited by what seems to be Punica, Musa, and a single Crypto (the manga interpretation contains other species that can be found in the "wild"). What causes some inhabitants of the area to settle down into the town while others seem to run seemingly wild around the outskirts of the town? Why don't stronger Denjuu come into the town and obliterate the low leveled inhabitants? What is Musa's purpose in the town, and why does he stay there? What does Musa believe? Where is Crypto from and why does he go with the player without any complaint or quarrel (or why does he fight with Shigeki in the beginning of the manga?)? Are Crypto and Musa close companions? It would seem so considering Crypto is hanging around Musa's house when you meet them.
What do believe? Let's see where this plays out. This could get interesting.
This topic is merely for entertainment.
Kurganon(imported)

Post by Kurganon(imported) »

My guess would be, that the strong Denjuu are looking for challenging oponents which is why they aren't attacking the weak seeming villagers.
I mean if we grind in the wild to level, why not the denjuu, too?
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Well, I believe the games were originally meant to follow the manga's storyline closer (as they start out similarly.) After the Netaro storyline however the stories veer off from each other, so this is only applicable to the manga as far as I know (and has spoilers!)
[spoiler]Musa is one of the four elders of the Denjuu world, the other three being Hiyu, Zea, and Kaya. I'm not certain what being an elder means, but the other three were antagonistic as of the manga's story (probably not before then, though.) I think perhaps it just means they're like chiefs of various areas.

Crypto was found by the four elders curled up in a lotus as a baby (is this where all Denjuu come from? The Life Tree is said to be their origin ingame, so maybe..? It's possible that he was manufactured also, as there were a ton of Sanaeba-made Cryptos shown in a lab, but I'm not certain this was the case with the original Crypto. It'd help if I could read Japanese.) He was given to Musa to raise, so yes they were close.

Crypto was shown beating up a giant pile of Denjuu, and his personality is Irritable so it's assumed he just likes to fight! Shigeki is pretty hot-headed too which is probably why they got along, even though they argued a bit as well.[/spoiler]
As for ingame, a lot of that may not apply. Crypto/Fungus are perhaps just friends of Musa, or maybe he's their mentor etc. The population of Toronko (and the other towns) is probably meant to be larger than it appears ingame, RPG maps are more representational than anything else :P "Wild" Denjuu are perhaps actually inhabitants of whatever town they're closest to, or maybe they simply live in the woods etc since they're big (sapient) monsters after all! Some might prefer the houses, some might prefer "roughing it."

Denjuu like to fight with each other in a friendly matter, which is why they give you their phone number if you impress/beat them. IIRC, they didn't have access to cellphones before they were discovered by humans, so they really enjoy the D-Shots as a convenience to socializing with their friends / battle partners.

As for why doesn't some strong Denjuu just beat everyone in a town up, the elders might be in place to protect those areas from such things. The elders and their home areas are Musa in Toronko Village, Hiyu in Paparuna Lake, Zea in Ion Island, and Kaya in Burion Ruins. (These are the locations they are assigned in the game's coding, ie if you get their secret number and you try calling them to battle from one of those locations they'll appear very quickly. Actually, that goes back to what I was saying about the town populations - Beebalm, Ruscus, Enishida, and Gaultheria are also from Toronko!)

More on Musa, it was implied he was the one who left the D-Shot out by the tree for Shigeki to find. How/why he put it out and knew Shigeki would find it is anyone's guess though. He's an old wise turtle dragon but I don't think he's psychic =) Perhaps it was some sort of prophesy, or maybe the Divine Denjuu influenced him in some manner.