Telefang Wiki

Discuss anything that involves Wikifang, the Telefang Wiki, here.
DeKaFu

Re: Telefang Wiki

Post by DeKaFu »

Japanese kana: Image
Romaji: Kakuzatou
Translation: Stranded Child

Is that what you're looking for? The "kakuza" (stranded) is written in katakana and the "tou" (child) is written in hiragana, probably to show that they're two different words. But kakuzatou is the correct romanization.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Okay, this is really bugging me.

"Kakuzatou" works great, shows all the letters and everything, but if we're using Denjū rather than Denjuu, that would be mixing romanization systems and be pretty bloody inconsistant on our part. It would have to be Kakuzatô, which is downright annoying. I still don't know how to even type a ū or ô (look at that, the board can't even handle the straight line...), but if we use them with one word then the rest of the wiki is going to have to follow suite...

So please, please can we go back to using Denjuu? It would make it a lot easier to romanize everything else, like the hundreds of names we have yet to work on. Not to mention it's easier to search for and read and would get rid of the ugly junk in the URLs. The banner for the wiki wouldn't match, but I imagine we'll eventually be wanting to change it anyway to Wikifang. Okay. Okay. >_<
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

AAAAARGHHHHHH

I was thinking, because of all these romanisation issues, we'll just stick with the romaji instead.... Whatever...

Oh and I typed Kakuzatou wrongly, put Kazakatou above ><
ignaciokidscool(imported)

Post by ignaciokidscool(imported) »

HI

CONGRATULATIONS BY THE WIKI

IS VERY GOOD
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Well, again, what do you mean by that? Both Denjû and Denjuu are romaji. Denjû uses the Hepburn romanization system, which I've rarely come across outside of printed material (where typing it isn't an issue), and on wikipedia where they're obsessed with being totally official. Hepburn uses macrons (straight lines) over vowels to show that they're extended, like with û (still copy-pasting, here). The fact that this board refuses to even show these letters most of the time means that trying to discuss anything with them in is going to be hell.
Most people would just leave the macron off and type Denju, but that becomes very ambiguous very fast, since the word with the extended vowel may have a totally different meaning.

It would make much more sense to just write uu or ii or aa where the vowel is extended, especially since this is how it's put together in japanese kana. This is the method that I've seen the most on the internet, and the one that I'm most familiar with. Along with being easy to type, it's much more obvious to read at first glance....I would think that it would be a bit more inviting for people not used to japanese. *shrug*

While it's an idea that Wikipedia would scoff at, I think that for the purposes of our little wiki, we'll be fine so long as we romanize stuff in a single consistant way. Heck, if it still bothers you, DeKaFu and I will gladly handle all of the romaji on the wiki, so long as you guys all agree to say Denjuu. XD Alright?
Milnivri(imported)

wrote:"Kakuzatou" IS the romanized name
What I meant was actually that since we can't agree on the romanization, we should use the romaji names instead to refer to them. I was actually not referring to the u and u. Argh I was blur

But anyway about your post over there:
I'll prefer to be official, so I'd prefer the actual Hepburn whatever. After all, I'm a Wikipedian :)
wrote:I think that for the purposes of our little wiki, we'll be fine so long as we romanize stuff in a single consistant way.
I mean, you can't expect this wiki to stay small all the time, and soon enough more people would come visit, whether to contribute or not. We should also maintain a certain style (see Manual of Style) as it is more professional.

Anyways, thanks for offering to help in this... I'll help whenever I can.

But if anyone disagrees then it's ok.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Well, speaking on behalf of Kimbles here as well, we were planning on making a large translation topic with all the names once our games arrived. Because the characters for the Hepburn system don't show correctly on this board, we'd be using the other system in there (uu instead of û). If you want to convert them all when editing the Wiki, that's up to you.

For the record, though, I think it's a good idea to use the other system in the Wiki if only for the sake of the search system. Because most people can't type the û in "denjû" it means that every page with the word in the title would need multiple redirects to show up on the search at all (denju, denjuu). If the Wiki does become big like you hope, it would look unprofessional if the search system was crippled that way.

I understand you wanting to use the more official one, but I'll also say that I almost never see it in use on the internet, probably for these reasons...XD
Milnivri(imported)

wrote:Because most people can't type the û in "denjû" it means that every page with the word in the title would need multiple redirects to show up on the search at all (denju, denjuu).
Yea, you have a point there. Is there a way to tackle this problem?
Like tweaking the search engine or something?
Or putting a hidden caption which readers cannot see, but search engines and editors can. However it will look messy (it will be some HTML tags). Searching will also then become a problem.

Yeah, I guess there's no other choice. We could use the Hepburn system just for the romaji section of the infobox I guess.

:( :)
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

So... I see that we have our first Wikifang vandal (who, by the way, I've seen troll at least two other sites but I won't get into that). Here's the vandal edit (warning: offensive language):

http://telefang.wikia.com/index.php?title=...ng_1&oldid=3968

So, I'm thinking that we should create vandal templates (similar to the ones found on Wikipedia) and place one of them on the talk page. And block the IP. I'm going to ban the IP here so that he won't troll this board.
Milnivri(imported)

Yeah I reverted that edit and was about to warn him. Then I forgot. :P

Anyway I won't block him on the wiki just yet. Wikipedia's policies don't allow immediate blocking anyway. We'll just warn him and if he continues, we'll block him :)

P.S. About his IP address, I can't tell if it's a IP range or not. So Blaziken, can I entrust you with it? I think I'll make you a Wikifang janitor. (Don't worry it's a higher rank than User.)

EDIT: Done. You now have rollback rights. Anyone else want to have a rank? Heheh