Re: Wiki images.

Discuss anything that involves Wikifang, the Telefang Wiki, here.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Looking around the wiki, I've noticed a lot of the images have....grey boxes around them. Actually, pretty much every image on the wiki seems to have this, and it's really quite ugly... Like so:

This has been puzzling me for a while, but it seems that everywhere that's supposed to be transparent in an image on the wiki shows up grey. I'm using IE6, which is also what everyone I know uses. I've looked at the wiki on other computers, and had other people confirm it on theirs, so I know that the problem isn't just mine. D:

Is there... any way we can avoid this? I mean, we're not planning on changing the background colour from white, correct? Surely it wouldn't be that hard to use white-background images from now on...XD I see that a lot of the sprites already uploaded have white backgrounds, so there's only a few we'd have to replace. (And they're facing the opposite direction, anyway!)

The sprites, maps, and icons really should all be fixed, since it does detract from the look of the wiki. This is regardless of how the images behave on other browsers, since IE remains the most commonly used browser, and therefore will be the way that the most of our readers will see the wiki. Even if you can just make sure that the images you upload in the future don't have any transparency in them, it would make the wiki a nicer place for everyone. :D
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote: Looking around the wiki, I've noticed a lot of the images have....grey boxes around them. Actually, pretty much every image on the wiki seems to have this, and it's really quite ugly... Like so:

This has been puzzling me for a while, but it seems that everywhere that's supposed to be transparent in an image on the wiki shows up grey. I'm using IE6, which is also what everyone I know uses. I've looked at the wiki on other computers, and had other people confirm it on theirs, so I know that the problem isn't just mine. D:

Is there... any way we can avoid this? I mean, we're not planning on changing the background colour from white, correct? Surely it wouldn't be that hard to use white-background images from now on...XD I see that a lot of the sprites already uploaded have white backgrounds, so there's only a few we'd have to replace. (And they're facing the opposite direction, anyway!)

The sprites, maps, and icons really should all be fixed, since it does detract from the look of the wiki. This is regardless of how the images behave on other browsers, since IE remains the most commonly used browser, and therefore will be the way that the most of our readers will see the wiki. Even if you can just make sure that the images you upload in the future don't have any transparency in them, it would make the wiki a nicer place for everyone. :D
It is an issue with IE, IE hates png images when it comes to transparency and replaces the transparent areas with a grey colour. Use gif images for transparency instead and you will never have this issue (speaking from experience btw).
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

andwhyisit wrote: It is an issue with IE, IE hates png images when it comes to transparency and replaces the transparent areas with a grey colour. Use gif images for transparency instead and you will never have this issue (speaking from experience btw).
But GIF can't have more then 256 colors.
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

The sprite images in Telefang 1 are 256 colours, I think. Anyway IE6 and below do not support PNG transparency. They show a grey/light blue background.

However, there is a workaround, but it invalidates. Haiz, we have no choice...

And you're wrong. IE6 is not the most common browser. 30.7% of people use it (as of Feb 08) while 36.5% of people use FF. Yay.

Anyway I'll put the workaround code into action now.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Argh. This is one of the reasons why I don't use IE... thing is, long after I switched to Firefox, I completely forgot about this issue. I noticed that some of the images on THIS site (e.g. the "Add Reply" button) have that same thing too. And my avatar. And Milnivri's avatar. Anyway, I think upgrading to IE 7 fixes this... or use Firefox. Hehe.

Also, what's the workaround?
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Blaziken257 wrote:Argh. This is one of the reasons why I don't use IE... thing is, long after I switched to Firefox, I completely forgot about this issue. I noticed that some of the images on THIS site (e.g. the "Add Reply" button) have that same thing too. And my avatar. And Milnivri's avatar. Anyway, I think upgrading to IE 7 fixes this... or use Firefox. Hehe.
XD Oh wow, I always thought the "add reply" button was supposed to look like that. *uses IE6 too*

I think it would be a good idea to convert anything on this site to gif for transparancy, because most of it doesn't use many colours anyway. :/

That's the problem with web design, even if it looks okay to you it might be messed up for a third of the people visiting your site. Last time I designed a website with a friend we downloaded all the different browsers we could find to make sure it worked properly on all of them. XD
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sanky wrote:
andwhyisit wrote: It is an issue with IE, IE hates png images when it comes to transparency and replaces the transparent areas with a grey colour. Use gif images for transparency instead and you will never have this issue (speaking from experience btw).
But GIF can't have more then 256 colors.
And each telefang 1 denjuu is 2bpp (4 colours), with the transparency that is 5 colours. Also no gameboy or gameboy advance tile will ever exceed 256 colours. And 256 colours is more than enough if you know what you are doing.

Send me all of the images that need to be converted to gif and I will do them all right now.
Milnivri(imported)

I have them all in gif, but the problem lies with the wiki. I uploaded #001 to #100 or over already! And the gif format is already used for the animated walking denjuu icons.

The plan for this is this:
t1-001.gif (for denjuu sprites)
t1-001-I.gif (for denjuu icons)
t2-000.gif
t2-000-FA.gif, etc
b-000.gif (for bugsite, I dunno how the numbering system works though)
d-000.gif (dyna device)
ETC. ETc. Etc. etc.

But that would mean a lot to do. :/

And the workaround(s) (there are more) do not work on wikis. :( One of them can be found here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/pngfix.js and another is http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/making-png-im...ernet-explorer/

So I'm thinking of putting either a background colour for the png image, which would be done with CSS and for example:

.infobox img {background-color:#FFFFFF;} since the infobox background is white

and

.evo img {background-color:#some_random_colour;} since the background is some_random_colour (i forgot the colour code, lazy to check)

Or the background colours for the infobox and the evo chain can be the colour of the grey. But I think the colour of the grey thingy differs among IE versions, or something. I remember seeing PNG transparency things as light blue before ._.

But maybe if all the PNGs were 8-bit, would that solve the problem? (I think they are 24-bit now)

So how? What should we choose?
Milnivri(imported)

Sorry for double post, but I'm so excited:

It now works in IE6~~! And IE5.5! Yay! No more grey!

It should work, unless I'm colour blind ._.

Try it out. :D

EDIT: OOhnoes. Doesnt work again. I used IE Tab plugin for Firefox, looks working there. But when I tested it in IE6 it screwed up really bad. D:

Can you guys just test the thing out? I'm not sure if my IE is working correctly.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

I looked at Krypto's page...
The info box is way off to the side and his picture's still grey. ): The evolution boxes at the bottom have grey backgrounds, though....

Really, I know it'd be a lot of work, but I think it would be best to just use gifs at this point. :/ Some of the sprites need to be replaced anyway, and this way we'll have a chance to organize it like you said...

I think that for all the sprites in all the games, we could use the sprites as they appear in the game's encyclopedia, just to keep things consistant. That would mean facing right in Telefang 1, and facing left in Telefang 2. *shrug* That's pretty much what we've been doing. XD

Andwhyisit posted a zip with all of the encyclopedia entries for Telefang 1 in the translation topic. Someone could get all of the sprites from there. I'm still kind of trying to avoid spoilers... >_>;
For whoever does take this on, though, please try to not make the white bits on the Denjuu transparent... It happens all the time, it looks so bad...

If you don't want to do that now, one of us could start renaming the little walking Denjuu sprites to the t1-001-I format. *nod* I'm not sure how to rename stuff on the wiki, or even if I can, though...:/ Will we have to re-upload them?