Re: Move pages...

Discuss anything that involves Wikifang, the Telefang Wiki, here.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Right, I know I haven't made pages for them all yet, but I figured we might as well decide what we are going to do with them? D:

First of all, I'd like to keep attacks that appear in multiple games with the same translated name, on the same page with sections for each game. *nod* This will keep all of the information organized and easy to navigate, and removes the need for a whole lot of redirects and disambiguation pages. D:<

The thing is, while moves might have the same translated name, the japanese is spelled differently between games, so we will have to list the kana and romaji seperately for each game. D: The best way to do this is have a move infobox in each section of the page... Like so:

This will also let us include a screenshot of the move being used in each game, and keep the information game-specific (Only T1 moves have bootleg names, T2 moves have types, Bugsite attacks have makers and types, Dino Device attacks have very little information).

It would be extremely stylish to design these all slightly differently, but rather than filling "Infobox Move" up with mountains of code to make it work, I'd like it if we could make simple templates that each work for one game? *nod* Also, if it says "(game icon) move" at the top of each infobox, there's no need to have a section for "found in" inside the box....*nod*

Besides that, uh... The "effects" part of the current infobox is a bit broken, and there needs to be a space between the kana and romaji? D: Also, we now have the base attack powers for T1, so it would be nice to work those in... As well as something that says whether the attack is Denma or not, for T1 and T2.

Maybe someone who is good at designing stylish tables can redesign each of these to include the necessary bits, and maybe make them colour-coded to match the proper game? :D (like, white/yellow/brown for T1, white/yellow/blue for T2, dark/green for Bugsite, something like that? >_>) All of you are still much better at templates and tables than I ever will be, is all... ;_; I'll gladly go through and add the descriptions and whatnot to each of the move pages, though. *nod*

So... What do you think? >__>
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, that would be a good idea. What do you mean by the words being spelled differently in Japanese, though? Like does one game use katakana and another use hiragana? Or does it have the Viburnum paradox? And you got the base powers for attacks? How did you get that? Did you hack it in the ROM, or is it in the guide?
Kimbles(imported)

Well, for some stuff it's hiragana/katakana switches, but also "Bite" is kamitsuki in the Telefang games and kamitsuku in the other two, and both of them mean bite. *nod* Also, "Kick" in Telefang is keri, and in Bugsite it's kikku, etc. XD

The base powers are from the guide, yeah. XD I put them on the list in the translation topic. *nod* I can't hack anything... >_>;
Kimbles(imported)

Okay, some other notes, how about combining the "denjuu who learn this move" lists into a single one, and putting "---" as the level for the ones who already know it? D: It would save some room... *nod*

Also, about redirects, I'm not fond of the idea of making redirects for the move names without (move) at the end. Because: if someone is searching for "Aim" in reference to the move, "Aim (move)" is going to be the first result. Sure, they will have to click it, but the next time they can remember to search with (move) on the end, because every single move is named with (move) on the end. D:< If they are trying to seach for the word "aim" inside of article text though, they can't, because of the redirect. We'll probably do the same for items, by adding (item) to the end, and attack types with (type), etc. This will make the search results work as a perfect disambiguation page for whatever you search for, but only if there are no disambiguation pages or redirects in place. D: So uh, maybe stop making them for now? >_<
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I agree about combining the movelists into one list instead of two separate ones. It would be it easier to read and you don't have to deal with the table misalignment issue.

As for the searching thing, even though Wikia merges it into one button, you can still click the button without typing anything in the textbox to search for keywords. I won't create redirect pages for the time being though...