Ampersands in titles

Discuss anything that involves Wikifang, the Telefang Wiki, here.
RacieB

Re: Ampersands in titles

Post by RacieB »

I uploaded an image file with & in the name, which mediawiki apparently hates (though it doesn't warn for it or change it to an underscore) and now I can't access that file's page to rename it. I've been reading up on fixes for this but I can't figure out how to properly implement them, anything I tried either 404'd the wiki, blanked the wiki, or did nothing whatsoever Dx

Barring that, what's the easiest way to rename the file, that won't break the upload logs and whatever else?
FailureBiWinning

Post by FailureBiWinning »

I'm not really too keen on editing pages in mediawiki (or any type of wiki for that matter) so anything I suggest might as well be a shot in the dark, but...

Have you tried creating a new page and using it to write over the current one, or would that that break upload logs?
Simple sprite editor - sometimes I do not-so-simple edits.

:jank: :ghostfree: :p01:
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

The way it's broken is it thinks that the page title ends at the ampersand, eg if you uploaded something named "This & That.png" and clicked the changelog link to go to its page, it would attempt to load a page just called "This". There are a few workarounds for it but I'm not very good with wiki backend stuff so I couldn't figure out how to implement any of them properly u_u
FailureBiWinning

I've done a quick search on Ampersands and Mediawiki and I was wondering if this was one of the results you found:

http://us.generation-nt.com/answer/bug-618611-libwww-mediawiki-client-perl-cant-get-pages-ampersands-help-202573542.html

I'm not sure how much of this relates to your Ampersand problem, but it looks like it could be useful (unless it's already something you've run across, and didn't work).

Also, I just got around to checking Wikifang, and it seems this problem is started with my Amiland and Airland Site Gate map (I was beginning to wonder why I felt like this was my fault). Sorry about that; from now on, I'll stop using Ampersands in my filenames for map rips.

RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Don't feel bad about it! I should have known to rename it, I'm the one hosting the wiki xP
FailureBiWinning

I know, but still... had I known Mediawiki would have utterly choked itself to death over it, I would have removed the Ampersand before RARing the PNGs.

RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Don't worry about it, at worst I'll just reupload it with "and" in the title and there'll be the extra buggy one in the map category vOv
FailureBiWinning

I guess you're right (I'm still going to quit using Ampersands in filenames though). I do have one question: should I postpone submitting maps until this problem is resolved or should I keep at it? Assuming that Mediawiki operates like clockwork and the slightest errant twitch of the the hand can break something; I don't want to totally swamp you with map rips when you've already got your hands full with Mediawiki's problems.

RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Nah keep at it, the problem only effects that one file!
FailureBiWinning

Alrighty then. I'll go ahead and edit the last post in my rips thread with the new maps.