Re: Telefang 2 Power - Full English Translation!

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Jdbye(imported)

Post by Jdbye(imported) »

Edit: New translation based on this project is ongoing in this topic and is in its early stages, no patch has been released yet..

I've been tinkering with the Telefang 2 bootleg ROM "Pokemon Ruby" and I've inserted its script into Telefang 2 Power, circumventing the serious bug the bootleg ROM had, ie. being unable to use the main menu.

The result? A translated and fully playable Telefang 2.
Everything is now 100% fully translated.

The translation isn't perfect, but it's quite readable and doesn't make the game less enjoyable. In fact it can be funny at times.
Battles are now perfectly translated along with items and moves, courtesy of RacieB, Blaziken257 and Kimbles, as well as Sanky for sending me the patch.

I've only played the game for a couple of hours, so there may be bugs or more missing translations later on, but so far it's looking good.
If you see any, please report it in this topic. Missing translations may be tricky to add given my very limited rom hacking knowledge, but I will do my best. Bugs should be trivial to fix, I've fixed a few already.
I'll be playing this more over the next few days, fixing issues I encounter along the way. However, it is perfectly playable right now and I recommend people to try it out and help me eliminate any bugs and fix missing translations =)

Screenshots:
Spoiler!

Known issues:
The cursor in selection dialogs is in the wrong spot, Normmatt needs to fix this in his VWF.

Download: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2-English-Translation-Project/blob/master/Telefang%202%20Power%20(J)-Eng.ips?raw=true
Report bugs and missing translations in this topic =)

If anyone wants to help fix translation errors, or want the files used for other reasons, the original script as well as all the other files are available in the github repository here: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2-English-Translation-Project

The ROMs are not included for obvious reasons, but there is a readme with instructions on how to use.
Jdbye(imported)

I've updated the patch.
It now includes Normmatt's variable width font, and I've edited the script to take advantage of this, so now twice as much text fits on a line, and has lowercase characters instead of the game shouting at you. These changes mean there could be new issues. One I'm aware of already is that the cursor in selection dialogs is in the wrong spot, Normmatt needs to fix this in his VWF.
In addition to that, it has a much improved battle translation, courtesy of RacieB, Blaziken257 and Kimbles, as well as Sanky for sending me the patch. All moves and items should be properly translated as well as denjuu names.
Edit: Made yet another couple changes. Some of the menu stuff had lowercase characters, which that font doesn't support, so I've changed them to uppercase. That means the text messages and tutorial are now in english, as well as the wanted denjuu. Also, the denjuu names were updated to the proper ones.

Download: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8225581/Telefang%202%20Power%20%28J%29-Eng.ips
Jdbye(imported)

Small bump.
Updated once again!
New changes:

- A small issue with the line breaks was fixed, it no longer inappropriately breaks in the middle of words in certain dialogs.
- The menu font now has lowercase and some symbols that were missing like , and ' and is much nicer to read.
- The main menu items are now translated, however they still look glitched (now fixed!) and the highlighted item isn't translated yet.
Jdbye(imported)

Updated again, and this time it's a large one.

All the translated graphics from the bootleg have been imported, this means the game is now 100% fully translated apart from a couple of tiny things that don't matter at all.

Download: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2-English-Translation-Project/blob/master/Telefang%202%20Power%20(J)-Eng.ips?raw=true
mkolpnji(imported)

Post by mkolpnji(imported) »

As someone who used to own the telefang bootleg in the past when I was a child, it's great to be able to go play it again.

Thanks for doing this!
Jdbye(imported)

mkolpnji wrote:As someone who used to own the telefang bootleg in the past when I was a child, it's great to be able to go play it again.

Thanks for doing this!
You're probably talking about the Telefang 1 bootleg, right?
I played that one as a child as well, never beat it though.
Rest assured this bootleg is of much higher quality than that one =)
The english is actually for the most part correct.
mkolpnji(imported)

Post by mkolpnji(imported) »

Jdbye wrote:
mkolpnji wrote:As someone who used to own the telefang bootleg in the past when I was a child, it's great to be able to go play it again.

Thanks for doing this!
No, I'm actually talking about the Telefang 2 Bootleg (or "Pokemon Ruby"), I actually had a copy of it when I was a kid, never realizing what it actually was until much later. And by that time, I had lost it somewhere.

Played the patch for a bit, and it's pretty much extremely similar to how I remember it.

Thanks again for doing this.
Jdbye(imported)

mkolpnji wrote:
Jdbye wrote:

Thanks for doing this!
No, I'm actually talking about the Telefang 2 Bootleg (or "Pokemon Ruby"), I actually had a copy of it when I was a kid, never realizing what it actually was until much later. And by that time, I had lost it somewhere.

Played the patch for a bit, and it's pretty much extremely similar to how I remember it.

Thanks again for doing this.
Heh, it must've been around longer than I thought.

Anyway, I've updated the patch again.
What's new:
- Battle text and denjuu names now contain lowercase, and Leku was replaced with Rex in dialogue
- Move names, item names and descriptions now contain lowercase.
Jdbye(imported)

Small bump, but I have a good reason.

There's a new update, but that's not all. Read on for details.

Update
- The Denjuu Stats and Dex screens are now translated
- The D-Shot overlay is translated as well.

With this update comes a call to translators.
The only thing missing for this translation to be 100% complete are the Denjuu descriptions.

If anyone knows Japanese, and is willing to help translate them, the script can be found here: https://github.com/Jdbye/Telefang-2-English-Translation-Project/blob/master/Tools/Cartographer/tf2_power_script_013.txt
Edit: Also, if there is anyone here good at pixelart, I would love for someone to draw an english logo.

Edit2:
Update!
Changes:
- Title screen is now translated to english (not finished yet) Now finished and looking great!
- Added a splash screen

Added some screenshots as well.
Jdbye(imported)

Update!
Good news. I got someone to help out with the Denjuu descriptions, and they are now fully translated.

That means the translation should be 100% complete!
If you haven't tried out the patch yet, now would be the time to do so.

There are some issues with the descriptions, mainly that a lot of them are simply very long and don't look good in game, and they can't be easily shortened either.
This may be resolved in the future if Normmatt can get his small font VWF working.