Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Kid Sonic(imported)

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

I'm still curious about 3 things:

1. What does Oshe mean by if we had curry?
2. What does it say for Teletel?
3. What does it say for Dendel?
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

It's not just Oshe, any Denjuu will ask that (if you mean over the phone one). And by that it's just a reference to Nerikara.
Kid Sonic(imported)

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

Milnivri wrote: It's not just Oshe, any Denjuu will ask that (if you mean over the phone one). And by that it's just a reference to Nerikara.
Ok, but what about Teletel and Dendel. I don't get their dex info. It makes no sense.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

D: I'm pretty sure that the Denjuu do indeed ask you about curry, at least about what it is. XD I don't recall exactly what they say, though... Dendel and Teletel's info texts are both along the lines of "Aw man, you found me... What should I do? Oh well...", in really loose, talking-on-the-phone style. D: *nod*

Anyway, I was working a new font for the patch, since I find that the thick lines are what bugged me most about diamond's font, and the DKC one doesn't really help that... ;_; Here's what I had, I'll finish later if you think it's worthwhile...
Whichever font we end up using, I think Pokemon had a nice idea, where it had apostrophed letters and ...'s as single tiles. It's not much, but it could help save some space... Also, I think it would be excusable to have special letters for spelling out specific stuff like denma, the map screen stuff, the stats, etc, though I dunno how good mine look. :/ I'm not worried about running out of space on the rom, it's that there isn't enough space on the screen for the Denjuu and attack names. D: Squashed text isn't a nice solution, but I guess we'll have to make it work...
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote: You mean this intro or the entire game? I'm close to being done with translating the intro. Hopefully I'll be done by the end of the day. Also, I changed the "ナビ" text on the bottom and changed it to "NAV"... because I think that's what it's supposed to be (if I made it "NAVI", I would have had to scrunch up all the letters, which would have looked ugly... besides, I like the word "NAV" better than "NAVI" anyway)... not "NB" like the bootleggers thought...

Also, I changed the font to what the one I used in that other patch (the one based off DKC). I also changed the other scrunched up letters so that it blends in better. I just couldn't STAND that font used in Diamond... it was driving me nuts...
Just the intro translation. Although if Kimbles wants to continue translating then we can aim for a full translation somewhere down the track if you want.

And I have noting against the font change. A thinner font would be so much easier to use.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Well, when I hacked the font just now, I had two possibilities for it. I made one based off the old Pokémon font, and made another one based off the font from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (which is also thin). Here's some screenshots:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

For some reason, I feel the need to base fonts off of other games...

I didn't put Kimbles's font in there yet, though. Sorry! I'll do that later.

Also, the Pokémon font has thick numbers, so some of you may not like that, but there's another GBC game that uses almost the same font as Pokémon: Wario Land 3. One of the few differences is that the numbers are different -- and thinner. The letters seem to be the exact same, though.

Here's a tileset:

Zephyr(imported)

Post by Zephyr(imported) »

Wow awesome. =D Pokemon font brings back so much nostalgia, plus there's the fact that the games are so close to Pokemon anyway. The italics font hurts my head though. >.<

But um. I'm no hacker, so I can't really tell you "there's a lot of empty space at so-and-so," but I will be looking forward to playing the proper translation once you guys release a patch.

...Sorry clarification: is this the bootleg you're editing or the japanese game? Because yeah, there's all the bootleg glitches that I don't really want to play through on a properly-translated game. ^^;
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote: Well, when I hacked the font just now, I had two possibilities for it. I made one based off the old Pokémon font, and made another one based off the font from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (which is also thin). Here's some screenshots:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Also, the Pokémon font has thick numbers, so some of you may not like that, but there's another GBC game that uses almost the same font as Pokémon: Wario Land 3. One of the few differences is that the numbers are different -- and thinner. The letters seem to be the exact same, though.

Here's a tileset:

Top one. How much further do you have to go with this one?

Wait are you hacking my patch or starting a new one? I remember replacing most of the Japanese tiles in mine.

I guess I'll have to hack the names all over again. :( Unless..

Can you please apply them to my patch?
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Zephyr wrote: Wow awesome. =D Pokemon font brings back so much nostalgia, plus there's the fact that the games are so close to Pokemon anyway. The italics font hurts my head though. >.<

But um. I'm no hacker, so I can't really tell you "there's a lot of empty space at so-and-so," but I will be looking forward to playing the proper translation once you guys release a patch.

...Sorry clarification: is this the bootleg you're editing or the japanese game? Because yeah, there's all the bootleg glitches that I don't really want to play through on a properly-translated game. ^^;
Yeah, that's one of my favorite fonts too. One of them. Hehehe. This hack is based off the Japanese one, remade from scratch. That means that you can save, name yourself, see the Game Over screen without crashing, call secret Denjuu, nickname other Denjuu, etc.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

andwhyisit wrote:
Blaziken257 wrote: Well, when I hacked the font just now, I had two possibilities for it. I made one based off the old Pokémon font, and made another one based off the font from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (which is also thin). Here's some screenshots:

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Here's a tileset:

Top one. How much further do you have to go with this one?

Wait are you hacking my patch or starting a new one? I remember replacing most of the Japanese tiles in mine. :(
I'm actually done now. Sorry it took so long, but editing pointers isn't easy. When you add more text to sentence, it moves everything else down, which is especially annoying when you're editing text at the very top of a ROM bank, because you have to edit a LOT of pointers. But I finished the intro, as well as a few other things. Like I said before, I added "NAV" on the bottom...

I also added text such as:

- "Give nickname?"
- "Fight/Status/Run" (I guessed on Fight and Run, but I know "Position" is supposed to say "Status")
- "____ has challenged you!"
- The T-Fanger Stranded Child (I called it "S. CHILD" due to the 8-character limit)
- "Save number?"
- "Critical!!" (I know I got this one right)
- I changed "Kryptoraid" to "Kryptoride" and "Kryptoarmor" to "Kryptoarm", but I didn't change any other Denjuu names

That's all I can remember. However, I took educated guesses on a lot of these, the only things I know for sure are "Status" and "Critical!!"

Oh and by the way, that tileset isn't from Telefang, it's from Wario Land 3. I posted that to show how similar it looks to Pokémon, and to show that the numbers are thinner, in case anybody wants to go with those instead. Or I could just leave the numbers alone like they originally were... sorry about the confusion, I DID work off your patch...

I hope you enjoy this patch, because I spent days working on it! If you see any strange bugs, let me know!

The patch is attached to this post.