Ripping Music?

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Mesimurasaki(imported)

Re: Ripping Music?

Post by Mesimurasaki(imported) »

Hey, was wondering how to rip midi files from roms. I was wanting telefang midi's so I could play the music on a piano lol.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Mesimurasaki wrote:Hey, was wondering how to rip midi files from roms. I was wanting telefang midi's so I could play the music on a piano lol.
You can't. The music format used by the game (GBS) and MIDI are two completely different formats. You could extract it and try to find a way to convert GBS to MIDI. I heard there's a program called VGMTrans that does this. As for extracting gbs files from the rom I have never tried it, but it shouldn't be too hard to find on the net.

However I'd suspect that any conversion would rely on custom instruments (since the instruments in GBS and MIDI would be different), which wouldn't be too useful for playing on a piano. If that's so then you may need to convert the whole thing by ear. If not then the conversion would exhibit some form of loss (poor instrument substitution) that would need to fixed by ear.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure this is the case.
Genghoul(imported)

Post by Genghoul(imported) »

I've been transcribing some of the music from the games by ear if you've seen my thread in the fanart section, so if you want I can convert the files into MIDI and send them to you if you'd like.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Here's the GBS soundtrack - http://telefang.meowcorp.us/Keitai Denjuu Telefang.gbs

I've never tried converting it to midi or anything like that, but there are plugins available on Zophar that let you play GBS soundtracks in Winamp and other programs (here.)