Re: Bugsite Debug Menu

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of other Smilesoft/Rocket games here.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

tl;dr: corrupted some stuff, debug menu popped out
details at TCRF!

What's this?
It's a debug menu.
You can do really cool things in it!
The options (as translated by Kimbles) are load, new game, battle, link battle, map check, free walk, menu, cut-in, bug, access point, store, staff, bug sensor, link, option.
Load loads your savestate.
New game restarts the game.
Battle is where the cool stuff starts.
Upon entering "battle", you get this screen:
The choices are (by Kimbles) battle, your level, ally 1, ally 2, ally 3, enemy hacker, field, attack selection is now OFF.
Yeah, you can modify all that stuff. Enemy hacker allows you to choose one of 999 (most are probably corrupted though) pre-defined battles. Yeah, you can't just choose which Bugs to battle. Attack selection, when on, allows you to choose ANY move to use, instead of only what the Bug knows. Nice for testing how each move looks like!
Link battle probably starts a link battle. I couldn't test that.
Map check is another cool thing. First, you choose which map you want to enter (you can see its name on the top replacing the load option). You can then walk around.
Free walk... returns you to the game? Yeah. In the savestate (bottom of post), it continues from the point I, uh, corrupted the game to enter debug.
Menu turns on menu, simple.
Cut-in allows you to test every move, like with move choose enabled before, but without any Bugs, and it's pretty glitchy...
The Bug option is for looking on bugs.
Access point just turns on the access point menu.
Store enters the auction site.
Staff are the credits!
Bug Sensor allows you to test the Bug Sensor. It also works as a sound test!
Link may be some link-testing option. I really dunno D: this shows up:
And the 03=1 starts filling the screen up D:
Option allows you to change various game options... There's text speed (which has 8 speeds but 3-8 are just the fastest), map report on/off (if on, there's some additional map data in "map check"), effect on/of (probably enables animations) and version a/b (which lets you change the WHOLE GAME to act either as alpha or beta, whichever it is right now... D: )
Ah, and the savestate is here... It's from beta, but since you can change the version by clicking on one button, I beleve it'll work in alpha too.

EDIT: If you use the Bugsite translation patch (at least v21), the debug menu will be translated!
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Which offset do you think caused it? Actually, which part of the rom did you corrupt? Can you post a patch for the corrupted rom?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Actually...
I changed some totally random values after the intro, and the debug mode appeared when the game came to that part. Then I tried corrupting the code again somewhere later in the text, and it also triggered the debug mode. I believe that it's the game fail-safe mechanism in case of errors.
In fact, a lot of games do that.