Bugsite Map Rips

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of other Smilesoft/Rocket games here.
Sanqui

Re: Bugsite Map Rips

Post by Sanqui »

You can get a VBA savestate already in the debug menu here. If you use it with the translation patch, it'll be fully translated, too. See TCRF for a description of how it works.
FailureBiWinning

Post by FailureBiWinning »

Thanks to Sanky for telling me about the debug menu; otherwise I wouldn't have gotten this map: Energyland's Main Area.

Didn't need to RAR this one since it's just one map, but it's pretty big, and it looks like it might have unused areas in the upper left and right corners (said areas also look as if they were meant to fit together. Perhaps this was supposed to be like Airland's Main Area by being two maps in one?)

Addendum: I also had Dark Castle ripped, but the overall size of the file exceeded the 200 KB limit, and when I tried to compress it, the entire file became corrupted and could not be restored, so I had to delete it. After attempting to rip it once and putting up with the various... I'm gonna say "challenges" ...it threw at me in the process, I do not feel inclined to try ripping it again (I don't even want to go near that horrible map). That said, I'd like to take a moment to rant about how much I want to slap and backhand the Smilesoft employees responsible for designing this map. I get that rotating pallets and animated bits are pretty and all... BUT DID THEY HAVE TO COVER THIS ENTIRE MAP WITH THEM?! SWEET MERCIFUL JEEBUS! It's like they knew someone was going to try to rip these maps and intentionally made the game's final area the hardest to get a proper and accurate rip of. My first rip of it was perfect until I tried to reduce the filesize... *cries*

...my apologies for the senseless mini-rant, but I seriously needed to vent.
Simple sprite editor - sometimes I do not-so-simple edits.

:jank: :ghostfree: :p01:
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Woah that is a cool-looking map xD Also, if it's easier - you could register a Wikifang account and upload images straight to the wiki, then there would be no filesize issues? Don't have to if you don't want to though.
FailureBiWinning

I'm not entirely sure I'm up to having a Wikifang account (unless uploading an image directly to the wiki is no different from uploading to a host like Imgur, then I might just take you up on that offer), although it may be a bit pointless by now considering what happened to the map that was giving me so much trouble (and the chances of me trying to rip that map again are incredibly iffy as of now).

I think I'll experiment with my map assembling methods first, as I think that's where the problem started... the filesize was huge because I put all of Dark Castle's rooms into one image; I wanted to keep everything together, but that doesn't appear to be a viable option. I'll keep at ripping the smaller rooms for the time being.

Edit: AHA! I knew it was my assembly method! I tested a different method from the one I used when putting together the Dark Castle map, compressing the file between saves (with a backup just in case), and I've managed to get another large map in; and this time it's the map of the real world! I tried to get the rooms and areas that corresponded to one another as close to each other as possible.

RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Yep, uploading an image on the wiki just consists of hitting Upload file, choosing the image off your drive, renaming it if you want to, and adding the description. That's it, and there's no filesize limit =)
FailureBiWinning

Hm... had I known it'd been that simple, I would've done it with the Dark Castle map in the beginning... but, that map is gone (and no backups, sadly), and I don't think I'll ever encounter a map that large from the game ever again, so I probably wouldn't be uploading any images directly to the wiki any time soon (couple that with the new assembly method, and large filesizes shouldn't be a problem anymore unless Dark Castle gets re-ripped).

Anyway, I've ripped two new maps: Sealand's Ryugu Lobby (referred to as "Sea Goddess" on the Main Area map) and what appears to be an unused Site Gate! (Wonder what it would've been used for...? The dark colors of the floor scream "Prototype Devil's Gate" to me, but the bright background has me scratching my head.)

(Useless Trivia: I was listening to the Suspense/Phobos Lab theme from the Doom soundtrack while ripping these.)

Edit: Added "Network_Adventure_Bugsite_Rips_9.rar" to the attachments. This one contains maps of the game's shops, including the one where you first meet Spiral. Also, I have this odd feeling that someone else tried to rip one of these maps before I got around to it... it's the map that looks like it has a large flower at the top of the room (I called it "XXX Shop" because that's what the label on the map calls it).

RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Yeah I know I've seen the flower map here before, I believe it was in the context of "I just ripped this and what is it?" Bugsite seriously has some gorgeous art, man. I really need to play it at some point.
FailureBiWinning

The sad part about that map is that it got royally shafted. It looks like someplace important; it's not, it's just another version of the typical shops you visit in the game. Not only that, but the shops that use this map are inaccessible until later on in the game.

I've got some fixes to a few of the older maps, but I can't attach them because I'm on my laptop at the moment (maps are stuck on my desktop).

Also, my girlfriend brought up some food for thought during a conversation regarding Bugsite: we know that all of the bugs in the game are made by one of five companies (FE, Sting, Ruger, Tahiro, and Jank), but what's stopping some random hacker from making his own bug? Would this bug get registered at the Guardian's website like all the other bugs? What would the bug get labeled with (because we know it can't use one of the five company labels if it wasn't made by them)? I've compared it to making homebrew software for a game console (Homebrew Channel on the Wii for example), but beyond that, we're kinda at a loss as to how that would be handled within the context of the game. We have, however, coined a new term from this: "Homebrew Bugs." If I ever get around to making my own custom bugs, I'll be sure to use that term.

Edit: Added the fixed maps. They are Amiland's Main Area and the Techno Area. The problem? Compare my original rips to what you see when you explore these maps using the debug menu and you'll see some stark differences (differing patterns and even some pieces missing entirely!) The reason for these differences is, prior to using the debug menu, I had no idea how to reach those distant areas of the map; since I strive for accuracy, I wanted the rips to contain everything that is necessary for that map... but those areas in the distance bugged me, and I had no idea what they looked like. They left empty spaces in the map that looked ugly, so I took some liberties and tried to edit them. I was startlingly accurate on some (Sealand's Main Area), while others were... yeah (the Trinity Building in Amiland Main Area was missing that little thing on top of it, and the Techno Area had some things in the corners of the map that weren't quite right). Like I said, you'll see when you compare them.

FailureBiWinning

Double posting because:
1) The combined filesize of this rar with the previous one is 202 KB, which is slightly over the 200 KB limit (sill assuming it refers to combined filesize); and
2) It's okay to double post when you have an update for your thread, right?

With that out of the way; onto the rips.
This one has two more Sealand maps: Ryugu Wastewater Facility (both flooded and drained versions) and New Castle Labyrinth (both have partially custom names due to "Ryugu" and "New Castle" being the only English parts of the map labels).

(I also slipped in a little gift for the forums... it's not much, and I was being rushed, so they're not my best work... but it's the thought that counts, right?)

Edit: Added "Network_Adventure_Bugsite_Rips_11.rar" to attachments; this one has more Sealand maps: Ryugu Wastewater Treatment, Ryugu Processing Plant, and New Castle Citadel (Note: These maps don't have the copyright logos from other Ryugu or New Castle maps, but the logos they did have were in Japanese, so I made up names based on the maps they were connected to. Also, I use a pseudo-medieval naming system for New Castle maps.)

I'm feeling pretty hyped... like I'm on a roll or something. I might just take a crack at ripping Dark Castle again if this streak of successful rips keeps going like it has... though I'm thinking I should save Dark Castle for last; it would be fitting to have the final area be the final map I rip from this game. (I just hope I'm not churning out too many maps at once...)

Edit2: Ripped the main lobby of the Trinity Building. Also, my copy of Dino Device 1 finally arrived (my other games are still late, though)!

RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I've added those to the wiki, and implemented the gift =)