Re: The Bugsite translation patch

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of other Smilesoft/Rocket games here.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

YES
Image -> Image

I'm getting the hang of these weird text codes !!
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sanky wrote: I'm getting the hang of these weird text codes !!
Details?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Not that interesting.
All the text codes have different uses. There's this "base", you see, in which you put various codes to modify stuff. For example, you can put a code there to wait for A button. Or you can use it for various value separators.
For a new line in dialogs, the game just uses 5C (which is just an new line) and a hollow base (no codes inside), who knows why. You can just remove the hollow base and get free characters to work with.
For separating some menu stuff (where you choose), the game uses 00 03 3E, which are the first and last two characters of the base. You can just remove the 03 and it works fine, though, adding one character (which is often VERY helpful, trust me). When 00 03 3E (or in my table, [00]<S>) is used, shifting characters between choices is very easy, though it is also possible with longer codes (that span more then 20 characters!)
With all this, I figured out how to combine two separate bases into one, and how to shorten, for example, the "press a" code by 5 characters!!

I still didn't figure out a lot of stuff, though. The press a code, for example, when used in Bug descriptions, other then waiting for a button before loading the bug page, shifts all the lines up by one tile, which allows me to use a third line in there! However, pressing the A button is seriously annoying, so I'm not going to release it until I figure out how to just create the shift effect without waiting for a.

... sorry, my explanation sucks.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Seems interesting enough to me.

Glad you fixed those names though. They have been bugging me for a while.
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

I was hacking the Alpha version into English and checking this forum to see if it was already being done when I found something interesting.

After I saw the post in this thread about shortening the push A button code, I was very curious. I tried taking the 03's out of it like you said, and sure enough, it worked. The meaningless "hollow base" really made me wonder how much redundancy was in these action codes, so I put them side-by-side and compared them to see if there was any more I could take out. There was plenty.

End-of-dialogue-box-press-a code:
00 36 4C 2C 03 36 82 2C 03 3E

Hollow base:
00 36 4C 2C 03 3E

Final push A code:
00 4C 82 3E

Now we're down to four numbers, just one shorter than before, but I thought it still might be helpful. I tried taking out each character individually, but none of those worked. I've deduced the meaning of each one from the resulting glitches:

00 - Special instruction.
(Without this, the characters after get rendered as letters and glitchy blocks)
4C - Print out the preceding normal text.
(Without this, you get the A button icon but no text)
82 - Display the "Push A button" icon.
(Without this, the text stops like normal, but there's no A button icon and you
can't advance it)
3E - End special instruction.
(Without this, the game freezes after you push A)

Now I'm seriously wondering why they put all the redundant instructions in there, and why they have different hex numbers if they're all just redundant...

Sorry if this has already been found, but I know that extra characters can be helpful.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Yeah, I already shortened it to only four characters, yeah... But I agree, why all the extra instructions? That's why I think they had a program that inserted the text in the game, which would be the ONLY explanation for using longer "codes".
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Sorry for bump, but I figured out a new thing. When you put the "press A" code (long or short, it doesn't matter) to a Bug description (on the websites), the game waits for A button before printing the text. That's normal, but the text is printed one tile higher then normal, and that means three usable lines of text instead of two. It's really interesting and I wonder how the code can manipulate with the line text is printed on.

EDIT: Sorry again for that bump, I'm stupid. I thought I figured the code out but I didn't.
Please have this update instead (because I did figure it out this time, I just don't want to bump again):
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

1. Awesome. (agrees)
2. Did you translate both lists of Bugs? Would be nice to have English names in Beta.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

andwhyisit wrote: 2. Did you translate both lists of Bugs? Would be nice to have English names in Beta.
The names are already translated in Beta. Did you mean Alpha? Do they not show up in Alpha?
Anyways, I only translated the one of the lists... Translating the other one may be as easy as copying the text, but some things may be different... There's always some data after the Bug name... Dunno if it's actually data, but it may be, and since some of the evolutions are different in each versions, I'd like to be careful.

Please have some more pics:
Image Image
Yes, I translated the debug :D
Also, I believe I found an unused map:
It looks pretty cool... Do you know if it's used ?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sanky wrote: The names are already translated in Beta. Did you mean Alpha? Do they not show up in Alpha?
Oh, sorry. I meant alpha.

Glad to see some progress. Now I will just down..
load...

..where is the download link?