Monster Traveler

Even though Telefang is a great game, there are other great games out there! Discuss games other than Telefang in this forum.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Re: Monster Traveler

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

Here's another interesting and obscure Japanese monster raising/battling RPG i've come across. It's called Monster Traveler and it's for gameboy color (GBC). Everything is set in space and you go to different planets collecting monsters. The monsters are called Cosmon and come in three types (Pit type, Mega type, Maru Type). The series actually has its own card game, but there's little info about it on the net from what I can find. The 3 starting monsters you can choose from at the beginning of the game are all cutesy looking and hatch from eggs the main character and his friends are given. I'm not sure of the basic storyline, but it seems to be a general saving the world/catching and battling monsters etc.

The sprites of the monsters in battle are animated when they attack and each one has unique sprites for each attack they do. I thought that was pretty neat. The animations are also very adorable. There was also an official site for the game, but it has since closed down.

Here's a video and a Japanese website for the game.
Demonlemon(imported)

Post by Demonlemon(imported) »

Gameplay seems pretty good so far
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

I've been playing this a bit...XD It seems extremely generic, but pretty fun... I believe you eventually get one of each starter to make your team of 3, and they have branching evolutions based on how you train them (a total of 50 each, so that's 150 'mons). The types are apparently themed, too... "Pito" is humanoid (from hito = person), "Mega" is robots (from mecha) and "Maru" is animal (animaru).

The game takes place in the "Trois star area", which consists of 3 planets called Sand Star, Forest Star, and Water Star. You start on Sand Star, in Sand village. >_> The story is something about you traveling the stars to learn about an ancient civilization that could talk to Cosmons, something modern-day people have forgotten how to do. (And yes, from the logo it's clearly supposed to be "Mon-Star Traveler". -_-;)

Rather than getting experience from battles, you get money ("credits") which you use to train your Cosmons at training centers in towns. Different training types raise their stats differently (which decides how they evolve), but all of them raise experience, and your monster evolves once it reaches a certain level.

Battles are supposedly 3 vs 3 eventually, but early on it's 1 vs 1.... Your Cosmon starts with 1 attack, and gains a new one each time it evolves. *nod* They have HP and TP, and TP is used up with every single attack (the basic ones take 1). Once they run out of HP or TP they become "hungry" and can't fight, and you have to heal them by giving them food or taking them to a restaurant (which works as a pokemon center). XD

Currently I'm still on Sand Star and only have my starter, which is a Maru that evolved into a Yarimaru (the attack form) and again into a Tobimaru (the next attack form). It looks like a blue dragon with a horn and wings. :D
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

I actually have the game but haven't played it yet. It's neat that you know about it/have played it too. I didn't expect anyone on the forum would have known about/played it since it's obscure :D

Thanks for the summary of the gameplay. The evolving system seems really interesting. I didn't expect all the monsters would evolve from just 3. I guess that makes it more of a breeding game in a way. It's a shame there's no guide for the game (I checked everywhere but I can't find one), I would have loved to see a gallery of the monsters and check out what the evolution lines were. I guess when I play the game i'll just have to guess x3

I liked the restaurant healing in the game too, it's unique. I kinda guessed it was the Pokemon Center-esque healing place you go to when I watched the video. Seeing the main character and his monster partner scoff food to heal themselves is sort of funny and cute at the same time xD

Are the 3 star areas large at all? It seems like a very short game if they only have 3 areas to visit. The card game seems interesting too, but I can't find anything on it. There are some booster packs for sale on Yahoo! Japan, but that's about it. I also found some pics of the booster packs on google, but none of the actual cards or anything.

Here's a pic of the booster pack.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Well, I only looked into it because you mentioned it here...XD I'm surprised there isn't a guide for it, though... The game seems to get pretty good reviews everywhere, but I notice it wasn't advertised in Comic Bom Bom either, so maybe it was really obscure in Japan too. D: There's a nice walkthrough site here, but it's all in japanese without any pictures, sadly. :/

I haven't seen the others, but Sand Star seems to consist of 3 towns plus a space port...XD Maybe the others are bigger? I dunno.

And yeah, I saw the booster packs on YJA...XD They say "Sand Star Edition" on them, but I actually somewhat doubt they ever released the others. The page you linked shows a few of the cards... Hahaha, "Ace Mega" looks like Tekkaman Blade.

I'll probably screenshot the monsters once I get a few more of them... The encyclopedia shows the evolution tree for each type, but not the evolution requirements...XD I know from the official site that the first couple stages branch into forms for attack, defense, or both roughly equal, though. *nod*
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Thankyou for the official site link! I also managed to find another site I was looking for through that link too. I haven't managed to view the entire website though, since the images on the site keep showing up as red X's and don't load properly. I don't know if the site archive has trouble loading images, since it does one minute, then won't load them the next. I'm guessing it's because the sites are so old and might not have the urls for the images anymore.

I wonder if there were meant to be 3 releases of the card game, one for each star? The only booster i've seen so far is the sand version. I didn't realise it had 'sand star edition' written on it until you mentioned it.

It's interesting to hear it got good reviews from Japanese players, I wonder why it didn't end up more well known? I'd be interested to see some screenshots of the monsters, since there's no guide for it. I'm really surprised there wasn't one, but since the game is not so well known that might explain why.

EDIT: I tried exploring the site a little more and found they had made some furikake (a rice topping) that contained 5 furikake packets and two cards for the card game. It's really surprising to see that they made a food item based on the series, when it's so obscure.