Monster collecting/raising RPGs vs Pokemon

Even though Telefang is a great game, there are other great games out there! Discuss games other than Telefang in this forum.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Re: Monster collecting/raising RPGs vs Pokemon

Post by andwhyisit »

Is it just me or is every game from the monster raising/collecting rpg sub-genre labeled as a Pokemon clone these days? People barely say "monster raising rpg" anymore, it is just "Pokemon clone". *sigh*

It's just that I saw news about this monster raising RPG called Invisimals and every news article that talked about it threw around the phrase "Pokemon clone" like it was an actual genre.

Sorry, I needed to rant.
Zephyr(imported)

Post by Zephyr(imported) »

Hey, I wouldn't necessarily say being labeled like that is a bad thing-- I've bought several games BECAUSE they were (or appeared to be) similar to Pokemon (the one I can think of right off the top of my head is Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World), and they turned out to be actually quite enjoyable... or not, and really frustrating (in the case of, say, Digimon World Dawn. That battle system was just... really unsatisfactory, to put it nicely.)

...But, um. It's unavoidable to some degree-- Pokemon WAS a pioneer in its genre, and to this day it's the most famous of its type, so any game which revolves around collecting and raising monsters or, indeed, anything with a "gotta catch 'em all" motif will be inevitably compared to it. Just like most platformers are compared with Mario and Kirby, RPGs with Final Fantasy, etc. The best we can do is appreciate the demographic it brings us.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Yeah, I agree with Zephyr. But still, it shouldn't be called "a Pokémon-like clone", but "a monster collecting RPG" |:
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Zephyr wrote: ...But, um. It's unavoidable to some degree-- Pokemon WAS a pioneer in its genre, and to this day it's the most famous of its type, so any game which revolves around collecting and raising monsters or, indeed, anything with a "gotta catch 'em all" motif will be inevitably compared to it. Just like most platformers are compared with Mario and Kirby, RPGs with Final Fantasy, etc. The best we can do is appreciate the demographic it brings us.
True. But JPRGs aren't labeled as Final Fantasy clones or platformers as Mario clones. Any RPG fan would be fine with someone making a comparison to Final Fantasy, but label lets say "Star Ocean" as a "Final Fantasy clone" and any RPG fan would be insulted.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

It peeves me badly when I get Youtube comments that Telefang is a Pokémon ripoff, whenever I ask them if they would lump other monster-collection RPGs such as Monster Rancher / Digimon / Dragon Warrior Monsters / etc into "Pokémon ripoffs" I don't get any response ¬_¬
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Well, outside of this forum I've never really even seen the term "monster-raising RPG"... XD It's just not considered a full genre by most people I guess, since there are only a couple well-known series, mainly just Pokemon...*nod* That, and "Pokemon clone" is easier for people to type. >_> It doesn't really bother me, because it's kind of inevitable, but I know what you mean... *sigh*

Also, I have actually heard people refer to JRPGs as FF clones, so it goes all ways. XD It depends on how ignorant you want to sound about a genre that you dislike, and these games don't get that much respect, so... ):
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I think that since Pokémon pretty much popularized the monster-collecting RPG genre, it's the first game that people think of when they think of it. Because of this, when there are other monster-collecting RPGs, they are thought of as too similar to Pokémon. And the thing is, there aren't that many of them compared to some other genres, like platformers. In contrast, the platforming genre is saturated with games, that Mario doesn't stand out the same way.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Claiming that a game is a rip-off of another game is still very insulting regardless. I feel sorry for the devs that make such beautiful games only for them to be passed off as "pokemon clones".
Sonic_Girl(imported)

Post by Sonic_Girl(imported) »

andwhyisit wrote: Is it just me or is every game from the monster raising/collecting rpg sub-genre labeled as a Pokemon clone these days? People barely say "monster raising rpg" anymore, it is just "Pokemon clone". *sigh*

It's just that I saw news about this monster raising RPG called Invisimals and every news article that talked about it threw around the phrase "Pokemon clone" like it was an actual genre.

Sorry, I needed to rant.
That's kinda like my problem with mahou shoujo anime. EVERYONE throws around Sailor Moon like EVERY single manga or anime in the genre is just a clone of it. And people seem to be awfully cruel to Wedding Peach especially :( . I've gotton to where I like/hate SM because of it. I mean, it's like monster raising games, EVERYONE compares them to Pokemon like you said. I personally enjoy both genres very much, but it gets very annoying when EVERY TIME I saw I like Magical Girl stuff, most people are like, 'You mean Sailor Moon?' and only associate the term 'magical girl' with sailor moon, and base every MG manga or anime off that calling them 'knock-offs' I'll admit, they can get very similar to each other, but still, some are very different from Sailor Moon. Sorry for the long post, but I know what you mean, I'm going through the same thing too, sort of.
RacieB wrote: It peeves me badly when I get Youtube comments that Telefang is a Pokémon ripoff, whenever I ask them if they would lump other monster-collection RPGs such as Monster Rancher / Digimon / Dragon Warrior Monsters / etc into "Pokémon ripoffs" I don't get any response ¬_¬
I personally haven't posted any telefang vids yet, but I know what you mean. I've seen the exact same thing on Wedding Peach videos mainly. It's like people try to be as stupid as they can on youtube. They think their being cool or funny, but in all honesty, it's just sad. And you don't get a response because their ignorent, and don't have anything 'cool' to say back. I get annoyed just like you do about Magical Girl and Monster-Raising stuff, so your not alone.
andwhyisit wrote: Claiming that a game is a rip-off of another game is still very insulting regardless. I feel sorry for the devs that make such beautiful games only for them to be passed off as "pokemon clones".
Kinda like all Sanrio characters are automatically Hello Kitty. But Sanrio does it to themselves by pretty much making only HK, so I don't get as mad about that, but still upset. Sanrio really needs to make more Cinnamoroll! (The puppy in my avatar, no he's not a she or a bunny.)

[EDIT - Removed additional posts and merged them into one. --Blaziken257]
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Triple posting is a bad idea. Use the preview button to turn the quoted text into
wrote: tags, then you can just cut and paste quotes into one post.