Koguru Guruguru - Guruguru to Nakayoshi

Even though Telefang is a great game, there are other great games out there! Discuss games other than Telefang in this forum.
Torchickens(imported)

Re: Koguru Guruguru - Guruguru to Nakayoshi

Post by Torchickens(imported) »

Koguru Guruguru - Guruguru to Nakayoshi ( ごぐるぐるぐる ~ぐるぐるとなかよし~) is an obscure RPG for the Game Boy Color developed by Sting. This game is rare because as far as I know it was only released via the now discontinued (as of 2007) Nintendo Power flash RAM service, where players would purchase a GB Memory Cartridge (Game Boy) or SF Memory Cassette (Super Famicom) and download games on to them in Lawson stores across Japan via a Loppi machine. List of GB exclusive games for the service.

These were usually games that were already released, and the idea was to download them on to the cartridge for cheaper than the usual price, but there were a few games that were exclusive to the service, such as the enhanced Japanese version of Balloon Kid for GBC (Balloon Fight GB) and Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, which we got before in cartridge form, but Japan never actually got. On rare occasions there were completely new games, such as the Loppi Puzzle Collection and Taisen Tsume Shogi, all of which I believe have enhanced SGB borders.

Here is a list of monsters hosted on Sting's website. It's a shame that the game won't even let me get past the introduction screen because of the language barrier.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Huh, very interesting. XD Sting is one of my favourite developers, but I'd never heard of this.

Gotta love how... uninspired the monsters on that list are though. XD

EDIT: Trying the game out... XD I can see where you got stuck, it's asking you to "press a different button" (B) to bring up the menu and whining when you don't. The game looks very weird and cutesy though, and the art style reminds me of Tamagotchi... *shrug* Apparently most of the game is spent conversing with the strange cat thing (named Guru) though, so I'm guessing it would be pretty tedious if you can't read it... ._.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

So glad you posted this! I've been looking for more information about this game everywhere. I was originally trying to find the gbc cartridge for it on Japanese websites a while back since i'm interested in Japanese GBC games. It being a downloadable game explains why I could never find the actual cartridge for it anywhere. I'd never have guessed otherwise, so thanks! The main character is a panda I believe (at least he/she looks like one?). I found the website for it ages ago but couldn't find any more info on it besides that. I was interested by the monsters, but I wonder what kind of system it uses in the game?

When I saw it was made by Sting the first thing I thought of was Bugsite x3
Torchickens(imported)

Post by Torchickens(imported) »

Thanks Kimbles!
KenjutheDenjuu wrote:So glad you posted this! I've been looking for more information about this game everywhere. I was originally trying to find the gbc cartridge for it on Japanese websites a while back since i'm interested in Japanese GBC games. It being a downloadable game explains why I could never find the actual cartridge for it anywhere. I'd never have guessed otherwise, so thanks! The main character is a panda I believe (at least he/she looks like one?). I found the website for it ages ago but couldn't find any more info on it besides that. I was interested by the monsters, but I wonder what kind of system it uses in the game?

When I saw it was made by Sting the first thing I thought of was Bugsite x3
You're welcome! I'm glad I'm not the only person interested in it... The game seems a little strange though. When I saw 'Sting', it also made me think of the Bugsite website.

You can travel to different locations, where you'll meet NPCs who want to battle with you and you collect monsters by defeating them in battle. The battles are up to 3v3, and you choose a leader monster. If the leader monster gets defeated, then a game over screen appears with Koguru and you have to start again. More information in Japanese.

With a Link Cable, you can swap monsters and battle with friends. Occasionally, you'll also come across minigames in addition to battling.

KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

Thanks a bunch, it seems an interesting game. I'm glad to finally know more about it.

I found a Japanese website a while back about a game convention where a demo of this game was shown. It was called Space World 2000 (it was held in the year 2000) and was a Nintendo event. There was a demo of Telefang shown at the same event as well. I wrote a topic about it recently, but no one's seen it so far I think: http://s15.zetaboards.com/Tulunk_Village/topic/7133435/1/