Gradius/Nemesis

Even though Telefang is a great game, there are other great games out there! Discuss games other than Telefang in this forum.
FailureBiWinning

Re: Gradius/Nemesis

Post by FailureBiWinning »

I noticed there was a Touhou Project topic and figured it'd be okay if I attempted to start a discussion of Konami's very own slice of bullet hell. I know I can't be the only one here who has played some of these games (but -assuming you live stateside- I wouldn't blame you for not having played the MSX Nemesis games... at least on actual hardware. I used emulators so I know I haven't).

For those who aren't familiar with Gradius; the rules are simple: you fly, you shoot stuff, you collect power ups. If you get hit once? You go boom and start over at a predetermined checkpoint (provided said checkpoint has been reached). It's typical scrolling shooter fare, basically... but the games can get pretty damn nightmarish later on (especially the arcade version of Gradius III... *shudders*). You gain new weapons and whatnot by collecting the power-up capsules that some enemies will drop when killed; these capsules build energy into your power meter at the bottom of your screen (the text on the meter usually reads "Speed Up; Missile; Double; Laser; Option; Shield" or something to that effect). Let's say you want to have missiles: you basically collect capsules until the meter is at "Missile" and you select it (take my advice: you'll typically want to get two to three Speed Ups and the Laser as soon as possible).

So... for those of you who have played them; what ones have you been playing and which one was your favorite? I've played (in order):
!) Gradius I (Arcade, NES, and PC-Engine versions)
2) Nemesis I (MSX and Gameboy versions)
3) Gradius II (Arcade and Famicom versions)
4) Gradius III (Arcade and SNES versions)
5) Nemesis II (MSX only)
6) Nemesis III (MSX only)
7) Salamander/Life Force (Arcade, NES, and MSX versions)
8) Salamander 2 (Arcade only)
9) Gradius Galaxies (GBA only)
10) Gradius ReBirth (WiiWare only)

My favorites from the bunch were definitely Nemesis III and Salamander 2. Nemesis III had the best boss theme from the MSX trilogy, while Salamander 2 was just leaps and bounds of awesomeness (and a massive improvement over the flaws of its predecessor, provided there ever were any).
Simple sprite editor - sometimes I do not-so-simple edits.

:jank: :ghostfree: :p01: