Re: Star Beast (SHI KONG XING SHOU/時空星獸)

Even though Telefang is a great game, there are other great games out there! Discuss games other than Telefang in this forum.
icecold(imported)

Post by icecold(imported) »

Not sure if many of you guys heard of this game but its a chinese monster battle game like Telefang/Pokemon it seems pretty decent but as you can see the monsters are ripped off from games such as Pokemon, Telefang, Shin Megami Tensei : Devil Children even Megaman Dx . Tell me what you guys think? I was planning to do a translation patch to it but i lost track of time because of school u_u . Heres a Video of the game. More info can be found here.
Pictures of Monsters.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Hi! We already have a thread but it's old so I guess it doesn't matter.

I started some work on a translation patch myself, but I probably won't do more unless I find somebody willing to translate. Proof of concept pic:

And yeah, the game is pretty nice. Good graphics, catchy upbeat music. I didn't play it beyond the first route though. Also, the code is a mess of spaghetti.
icecold(imported)

Sanky wrote:Hi! We already have a thread but it's old so I guess it doesn't matter.

I started some work on a translation patch myself, but I probably won't do more unless I find somebody willing to translate. Proof of concept pic:

And yeah, the game is pretty nice. Good graphics, catchy upbeat music. I didn't play it beyond the first route though. Also, the code is a mess of spaghetti.
ohh haha sorry i didn't know. but wow glad to know someone has tried to even translate it :]
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

I think the people on the BootlegGamesWiki forum were working on a translation at some point? I'm not sure if they're still continuing it at the moment. They were ripping some of the sprites the last time I checked.

The soundtrack to Shi Kong Xing Shou is amazing, it's probably among some of the best GBC music i've heard. What's more surprising is that the company Vast Fame, who made the game, actually hired a popular mandopop composer to do the music. I was surprised that a pop music composer could adapt so well to doing game music as if it had been their job all along. Vast Fame have since recycled the music in a few other of their games though.

Despite it being a bootleg game, it's pretty decent. If it hadn't borrowed its material from so many other games, this could have been a decent challenger to Pokemon in Taiwan. The story is a little more mature than Pokemon and has a very Chinese vibe. It's quite original though with the space theme and the meteor storyline. The title was partially what attracted me to the game in the first place because it sounds so cool; Space Time Star Beast.
icecold(imported)

KenjutheDenjuu wrote:I think the people on the BootlegGamesWiki forum were working on a translation at some point? I'm not sure if they're still continuing it at the moment. They were ripping some of the sprites the last time I checked.

The soundtrack to Shi Kong Xing Shou is amazing, it's probably among some of the best GBC music i've heard. What's more surprising is that the company Vast Fame, who made the game, actually hired a popular mandopop composer to do the music. I was surprised that a pop music composer could adapt so well to doing game music as if it had been their job all along. Vast Fame have since recycled the music in a few other of their games though.

Despite it being a bootleg game, it's pretty decent. If it hadn't borrowed its material from so many other games, this could have been a decent challenger to Pokemon in Taiwan. The story is a little more mature than Pokemon and has a very Chinese vibe. It's quite original though with the space theme and the meteor storyline. The title was partially what attracted me to the game in the first place because it sounds so cool; Space Time Star Beast.
i agree the music is amazing i love everything about this game this game is one of those hidden gems like telefang.
Demonlemon(imported)

Post by Demonlemon(imported) »

Twas a pretty fun game until I got to a "cant proceed without knowing japanese" barrier

wish I could help with translation :(
Tara-chan(imported)

Post by Tara-chan(imported) »

Bumping this topic.

This game recently came to my attention as the game contains man monsters, eh hem, "borrowed" from Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children (oddly bootleg game wiki mentions this but not the TVtropes article for the game), as well as Telefang, Digimon, Pokemon, and Mega Man but the four latter were obvious.

If anyone decided to translate, it would be a good idea to include bug-fixes, as the game is loaded with many game-breaking bugs. Namely when one tries to use the attack "Roar" for some reason it deletes the game's save data.

I really hope someone does end up translating the game otherwise, I'd love to get a chance to play it! I wonder what the name of the game would be changed to in the translation, would it still be Shi Kong Xing Shou, Space-Time Star Beast, or something completely new?

Sorry I guess I didn't really have much to add.
Aezarce(imported)

Post by Aezarce(imported) »

I remember playing this game, but I couldn't get past the first area (couldn't understand the language :x ) I wish I could have finished it. Maybe one day it will be translated, even if it's just a rip off of several different games.