Monster collecting game list?

Even though Telefang is a great game, there are other great games out there! Discuss games other than Telefang in this forum.
lpoi(imported)

Re: Monster collecting game list?

Post by lpoi(imported) »

Hi all. I know that there are many topics already, but is there like a list of monster collecting games (on nintendo handheld) other than pokemon, digimon, yokai watch, telefang, bugsite and dino device? Would like to try these type of games in future. Can be jap exclusive too. Thank you.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Uh... off the top of my head:

Dragon Quest Monsters (mons but they're Dragon Quest mons)
Jade Cocoon (mons but the breeding system makes sense)
Devil Children/DemiKids (mons but they're MegaTen mons and you literally work for Satan)
Monster Rancher (mons but you get them from scanning CDs)
The Denpa Men (mons but you get them from WiFi hotspots)

There's also all of those weird bug fighting games that never leave Japan. I'm not 100% sure if those count.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

There's also invisimals, which is an AR game geared towards children.
All the persona games are mon games. Actually are there any megami tensei games that aren't in this subgenre?
I think fossil fighters was a mon game too, although I have never played it.
Puzzle dragons z is definitely a mon game.
lpoi(imported)

Post by lpoi(imported) »

thanks you guys. its sad that despite there being so many monster collecting game, telefang is still called a pokemon rip-off while the rest are usually not.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Well, no. Digimon was the one that was called the Pokemon ripoff... Telefang wasn't. Nobody thought it was a Pokemon ripoff except the bootleg team that actually renamed it to Diamond and Jade.
Keldistern(imported)

Post by Keldistern(imported) »

I can confirm about Fossil Fighter, it plays like a pokémon game.
There's also for PC the Geneforge series. Though even with the mons, it plays more like a standard RPG unlike others.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Lufia II also had mon game elements. There were certain special monsters that you got in the game that you can raise and have fight with you in battle. Raising them gets expensive though, because you have to feed them items to make them grow, and sometimes the items with the most growth potential for that tier are ones you really don't want to part with. For the most part it is a standard JRPG. It is especially notable for the fact that this game existed before pokemon.
Ankos

Post by Ankos »

There were a few other games listed in the other games catagory, like fighting foodons, that one game made for the nintendo power flashcart, and the vast fame games. I think binary monsters by gowin may be a monster collector, but there isn't much info on it.
tymime(imported)

Post by tymime(imported) »

I've got a folder in my Game Boy collection specifically for mon games, actually:

Azure Dreams.gbc
Bouken! Dondoko Shima.gbc
Dokapon - Monster Hunter.gba
Grandia - Parallel Trippers.gbc
Kakutou Ryouri Densetsu Bistro Recipe - Gekitou Foodon Battle Hen.gbc
Kakutou Ryouri Densetsu Bistro Recipe - Kettou Bistgarm Hen.gbc
Kandume Monsters.gb
Koto Battle - Tengai no Morihito.gbc
Lil' Monster.gbc
Magi Nation.gbc
Monster Race 2.gbc
Monster Race Okawari.sgb
Monster Race.sgb
Monster Traveler.gbc
Robopon - Moon Version.gbc
Robopon - Star Version.gbc
Robopon - Sun Version.gbc
Sanrio Timenet - Kako Hen.gbc
Sanrio Timenet - Mirai Hen.gbc
Sheng Shou Wu Yu - Shen Long Chuan Shuo.gbc
Shi Kong Xing Shou.gbc
Shui Hu Shen Shou (Shawu Story [a1]).gbc
Space-Net - Cosmo Blue.gbc
Space-Net - Cosmo Red.gbc

How Pokémon/Telefang-ish some of them are I can't say for sure since I haven't played most of them yet ('cause of the language barrier). I just got 'em 'cause GameFAQs or some other place said they were...
Ankos

Post by Ankos »

The company named Gowin created two games that could be called monster collectors. One is called Binary Monsters (Neither of its sequels are rpgs, but the first one is). The other one is called Stone Age. Binary Monsters is more of a Tamagotchi type game, where as in Stone Age you can capture and battle monsters. Binary Monsters currently has no available ROM, but Stone Age does. Since Gowin's copyrights are all as dead as the dinosaurs you'd probably be allowed to emulate Stone Age if you found the ROM.