Re: Generation V Starters!!

Discuss the Pokémon series of games here.
Sumitakun94(imported)

Post by Sumitakun94(imported) »

Generation 5 starters have been announced.
Spoiler!
I see Cyndaquil, Naetle and Pochama XD

(Post edited due to large image that can stretch the screen on smaller monitors. --Blaziken257)
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

*sigh*
I am over this.

@Game Freak/Pokemon Company: I want to see something new from the pokemon franchise. If you are just adding more Pokemon and simply slapping on a fresh coat of paint then don't bother.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, I found this out from another Pokémon site. I wonder which one is Fire, Water, and Grass... I'm guessing that the first one is the Fire-type, since the things on the tail look like flames. I'm guessing that the second one is the Grass type, because it looks like there are leaves on its head. And by process of elimination, the third one is probably water.

Those are all just wild guesses though.

And eventually Nintendo is going to have to take the Telefang approach of getting rid of some Pokémon, since there are going to be over 500 and that's a lot. There are some useless, forgotten ones that I don't like anyway, such as Farfetch'd, Unown, Luvdisc, Pachirisu, and loads of others that are just lost.

By the way, that image is really large... I edited your post so that you have to click on it to see it. Not everybody has widescreen monitors.

Also, by Naetle you mean Turtwig and by Pochama you mean Piplup, right?
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Heh, I've gotten so used to seeing fake pictures of new starters that it's pretty shocking when one is real. XD

I dunno, they look like they might be interesting from these silhouettes at least. XD I'm setting my expectations pretty low for this gen, since I'm content now just to finally have a G/S remake. *shrug*

I think Gamefreak has put themselves in a pretty difficult spot by adding more and more Pokemon. They tried removing some of them from the game in R/S and everyone complained, and it would probably be much the same now. :/ They can't just remove the unpopular Pokemon completely from the system, since every single one has fans somewhere... I'm personally really fond of Dunsparce and Shuckle even if they are mostly useless, so I'd be very sad if they got rid of them. ):

Anyway, since I heard that Gamefreak intends to change the game system up somehow with this generation, I'm curious to see what happens. XD

Also, I just figured out why that one silhouette looked so familiar...
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Can't unsee.
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

I think they're a grass duck, a fire rabbitpiggy, and a water beaverbearplatipuss.

You can see they're running out of ideas. Geez, what will the legendaries be like?

@Kimbles: What is that ...thing from? It seems familiar...
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

They're just making themselves more limited with every generation. They cannot continue to do both more Pokémon and more features. The more Pokémon, the less work they do to implement interesting and new features, because they have to include every single Pokémon (see: Pokémon follow you on the overworld. They can't even stand, so they have to walk in one place! While it's a nice touch, you can probably see yourself that it'll get worse the next generation - that is, if they include it).
So, it's either new Pokémon, or new features. Scrapping some old Pokémon is out of question, because they'd lost a lot of people. And we know Game Freak is all about rehashing the same thing over and over again. And people still buy it. So, here we go again with a new Generation full of new Pokémon..
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, adding more and more Pokémon does cause problems... for example, the sprite animations in Crystal have lots of frames, and although they're choppy, they look pretty good. But ever since Emerald, every Pokémon now has only two frames, a huge difference, but they try to show off the GBA/DS resizing effects and other stuff, and it isn't as good, especially when those gimmick effects have been around since the SNES days. And in the console games, the first 251 Pokémon from the first two Stadium games look cool, but the newer ones have polygon problems and look like they're from a launch game for the N64. (Although I've never played Pokémon Battle Revolution...) And they have to come up with movesets and stats for every Pokémon, which is increasingly harder to do.

Getting rid of some Pokémon would be controversial, but it would make things much less complicated and less overbloated. Just look at Telefang 2. While there were some Denjuu that I missed (including the loss of some evolution stages in Denjuu that remain, like Gumi), removing some Denjuu made it more simplistic. And let's face it, I'm sure that there will be Pokémon that nobody would miss... like Unown or a lot of Gen III/IV Pokémon that I hardly remember.
Sumitakun94(imported)

Post by Sumitakun94(imported) »

@Kimbles: Is that a Moomin?
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

XD It's from the anime Soul Eater. I haven't watched the show so I don't know what its deal is.

Yeah though, I'd say that there really isn't a single Pokemon that nobody would miss. *shrug* Anyway, since gen 3 they've limited the Pokedex to one region at first, so you can feel content with only collecting 200 or so... You could argue that the only thing forcing you to collect all 500 would be yourself, and the game is just leaving you the option in case you want to try it.

I agree that it's annoying that it isn't really feasible to catch 'em all anymore, but it's been the case since Ru/Sa so there's not much point complaining now. :/ There's no way they really expected you to complete the national dex when trading is that slow...
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

That's where the GTS trick comes in, right?

Generation five, no matter how stupid it will be, some people will still love it.
Including me.