Re: Rival Names?

Discuss the Pokémon series of games here.
UltimateDemonDog(imported)

Post by UltimateDemonDog(imported) »

This is really pointless, but I was wondering what everyone named their Rival in Heartgold/Soulsilver. Originally, I had Crystal version, and I always named him ??? since that's what he would tell me. This probably came to mind because I named my rival Kakuza (really Kakuza tou but there wasn't enough space). I think this is a very appropriate considering his history.

*Spoiler Warning* This information is found out during an event, so if you don't think you'll get to do it, you can read about the rival's past here.
Spoiler!
Silver is the son of Giovanni. He was shunned and abandoned by his father because he did not want to join Team Rocket. This explains his previously unexplained contempt for Team Rocket.
And there's my story :D
Feel free to explain your names, if there is any particular reason.
Moon Machine(imported)

Post by Moon Machine(imported) »

I usually get a huge immature-ness moment when I'm naming my rival; something inappropriate or embarrassing is usually my no. 1 choice.
Female names are also fun, I think I named him Barbara or something on my latest Soul Silver save. :D

I think the only reason for me giving him retarded names is that I can silently laugh at him when he's trying to be all cool and tough. V:
ケシ(imported)

Post by ケシ(imported) »

I've also always named my G/S/C rival '???' - well, he himself said that that was his name!
In general, I call him Gary or any name I can think of at the moment. Sometimes random insults..
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

I don't remember what I named Blue in R/B. Probably "Gary".
In Gold/Silver, for some reason, I named him "Rival". I also thought he was a girl...
In Diamond, I named my rival "Felix". In Platinum, "Phelix".
In HG, I named him "Silver", since the default one the game gave me was "Soul" which is terrible.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

In HG I named him Fritz, after my sister's cat =< In Diamond I named him after my brother, because they're both blond and annoying >>
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Since I got Gold in 2000, I have named my rival Anthony, and I still do to this day. It's kinda hard to explain why, but at the time, I decided to name him after someone that I didn't get along with in real life, and it stuck ever since.

But in games where there are default names (i.e. anything besides G/S/C/HG/SS), I just pick one of the defaults.
Fangblade90(imported)

Post by Fangblade90(imported) »

In the original series (g/s/c) I usually named him ??? as I thought that was his name. But in soulsilver, I just named him NOPPER ,dunno why...
SM-dood(imported)

Post by SM-dood(imported) »

I didn't have Crystal as a child, but when I bought it used a few or so years ago I named the rival Pushy. :D (Because in the early part of the game there's that part when he's looking into the lab then pushes you.) I had erased the first file though, so I forgot what I named him on that.

So in honor of Pushy, my SS Rival's name is Pushy.

In Diamond I gave him the default name Tyson because I was watching Marriland's Pokemon videos at the tme and there was no official name for him yet, so yeah.
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

o.0 My rival's name is also Tyson!

...Could they be one and the same person? What's our Tyson like? Blond hair, striped t-shirt, blond hair? Because that would be one scary coïncidence! lol

I name all my rivals Tyson. Each and every one. Dunno why, I don't even know a Tyson.
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

Yuusuke, because it was the name of a random manga character (from a manga I didn't follow and really found sort of strange) that suddenly popped into my mind at the moment. Perhaps I'll name my next one Ichigo. XD