Shi Kong Xing Shou - aka. Space Time Star Beast

Talk about bootleg games in this forum.
Demonlemon(imported)

Re: Shi Kong Xing Shou - aka. Space Time Star Beast

Post by Demonlemon(imported) »

4 from left, 5 from top, looks like a denjuu to me!
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

You're right, it looks a little like Fungus' sprite, but the inverted colours make it harder to tell. Where did you find the sprite sheet by the way?

Also, I spy Totodile, Gyarados, Arbok and Mewtwo xD
Demonlemon(imported)

Post by Demonlemon(imported) »

Ripped it myself, the inverted colors are because I cant find the proper pallets for most of them
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I went ahead and recolored the weird-colored ones to make them easier to see:
Spoiler!
Now, with that done, I'll go ahead and comment on a few of them. I won't comment on all of them, just a few.

First row, third column: This looks slightly like a Sudowoodo with the tree and the three branches with leaves. Not completely the same, but I see a bit of a resemblance.

Second row, first column: This one looks like a caveman. This made me laugh.
Second row, fourth column: This is clearly a rip-off of Aerodactyl. It just has a different color palette and face.
Second row, sixth column: Has some similarities to Snorlax, including lying down and having a large stomach.

Third row, third column: With its razor claws, this looks like some Denjuu -- closer to Hagumanoki than anything else. It also has some similarities to Scyther.
Third row, fourth column: This also looks like a Denjuu -- this time it looks like Scorpil with its arms out in front.
Third row, fifth column: Haha, I love the skull.

Fourth row, first column: Another one that looks similar to a Denjuu. Looks similar to Vanda, doesn't it?
Fourth row, fourth column: Cross between Magcargo and Muk, perhaps?

Fifth row, fourth column: Yes, this definitely looks like a Fungus. Except poorly drawn. The style of this, like many other sprites here, looks like the typical sprites in Red/Blue.
Fifth row, fifth column: Definitely looks like a Spinarak.

Sixth row, first column: Looks much like a Mewtwo.
Sixth row, second column: Looks like a poorly drawn Qwilfish. Or maybe it's just something original.
Sixth row, third column: Looks like a Ledyba to me. Except more rigid and made out of stone.
Sixth row, fifth column: Looks a bit like some enemy from Yoshi's Island.

Seventh row, second column: Clearly inspired from Totodile. Do I need to explain this?
Seventh row, fourth column: Looks like a mutated Geodude, especially with the face and arms. It's not exactly the same though.

Eighth row, second column: Yes this looks a lot like Gyarados from Gold. With a mutated face.
Eighth row, third column: This looks familiar to me, but I don't know why.
Eighth row, fourth column: Very much like Onix. With gravel on the ground.

Ninth row, third column: Very clearly inspired from Dragonite, but with a weird face and horn on top. And it's blue.

Eleventh row, eighth column: Has a few loose similarities to Charizard with its dragon-like body and wings.

Twelfth row, first column: Very similar to Moltres with few modifications.
Twelfth row, third column: Looks like the Denjuu Rhodanthe.
Twelfth row, sixth column: Looks somewhat like Cortos, especially with its bird-like body with flames coming out the back.
Twelfth row, seventh column: Looks like Mareep in Red/Blue style.

Thirteenth row, first column: OK, now I am convinced that they were copying some Denjuu designs. This looks undoubtedly like Shellsterra. Just look at it. It has the cone-like shell on bottom, with spikes protruding from it. Don't tell me that's a coincidence. OK, the head isn't the same, but still.

Fourteenth row, first column: Looks like a Pokémon again, but I can't figure out what this is supposed to be.

Fifteenth row, third column: With the wings, it looks a bit like Funmachine.

Well, I commented on more of these than I planned. But those sprites sure are interesting. I wonder why they copied some from Telefang and Pokémon. It's also funny that many of the original sprites are so poorly drawn that they remind me of the style of Pokémon Red/Blue.
Last edited by Blaziken257 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Hahahah this is pretty cool.
None of them are pixel-for-pixel perfect (though Shellstra comes close), seems like they redrew them by hand.
All Pokémon sprites are from Gold.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

I guess this pretty much confirms they stole from Telefang, as well as Pokemon, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children and Megaman. Telefang is showing itself to be popular pirating material for Chinese bootleggers too. The series not being very well known outside of Japan probably doesn't help either, so it makes it harder to tell it's a bootleg for those that don't know about the original Japanese game first. That's why Diamond and Jade got a lot of negative reviews...

I'm so glad it's finally confirmed there are denjuu in there. I had a feeling there might be, but I wasn't sure if they really would have pirated Telefang or not.

Maybe this info could be added to the page about Telefang bootlegs on the wiki? I know it's not a pirated Telefang game as such, but it does pirate some of the denjuu from Telefang. I don't know whether that would count or not as bootleg info?

EDIT: Found some more monsters I recognised, plus one more denjuu.

9 right, 7 down: Okitsune from Devil Children
4 right, 3 down: Scorpil (Telefang)
9 right (top row): Baku from Devil Children.
3 right, 6 down: Ledyba

EDIT2: It appears that the company who made Shi Kong Xing Shou, made even more bootlegs of their own game. Here are a few alternate 'monster catching' games in their repetoire:

Unknown Game 1 (Poster)
Unknown Game 2 (Poster)
Also, here's a larger poster for Shi Kong Xing Shou.

The posters came from this site, which I found through this blog on bootleg games.
MefistaCenobica(imported)

Post by MefistaCenobica(imported) »

lol,funny game
too bad I don't know chinese
Btw,how did you ripped sprites from it?My tile layer pro shows them messed...
lapeirousia19(imported)

Post by lapeirousia19(imported) »

Found another one: the one with the mushroom-like thing on his head looks like Vileplume.
3 right, 7 down.
She's a Witch!(imported)

Post by She's a Witch!(imported) »

First row, ninth column looks a lot like Hypno to me...

Second row, eighth column looks like Jumpluff, while the one in the ninth clumn looks like that one Denjuu whose name I can't remember ATM.

Fifteenth row, seventh column looks like something that could be in a Bistro Recipe game. Not sure if there was a coffee monster or not, but still.

Too tired to spot anything else right now.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Wow, if they did really steal something from Bistro Recipe I guess it's another game to add to the list of games they've pirated from so far, although this sort of thing isn't uncommon for pirates. They love taking from multiple games and mixing things up.

Also, ErrorPwnage, I don't think that's Vileplume since it doesn't resemble any of the sprites used for it. It's most probably based off some random mushroom monster from another game.

EDIT: NusuttoSan on Youtube has two videos with new footage of Shi Kong Xing Shou. They also have some of the music from the game.

Shi Kong Xing Shou Part 1 (skip to 14:32 for new footage)
Shi Kong Xing Shou Part 2 (shows dungeons and a couple of new towns)
Battle Theme 1
Song that plays in dark areas?
Disco sounding battle theme

EDIT2: NusuttoSan on youtube has posted a video of the first 19 music tracks in Shi Kong Xing Shou: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbNXRjcEo6M

EDIT3: I think it's likely that Shi Kong Xing Shou had a commercial release as a GBC game in China/Taiwan and was originally released on a blue cartridge like this one. I haven't been able to find any pictures of the box and manual online so far, but i'm sure they exist. There's even an official guidebook for the game that also covers another one of V.Fame's bootlegs as well (Sheng Shou Wu Yu). Apparently, the games are very rare and hard to find even in Taiwan/China.