Fake Pokémon Green

Talk about bootleg games in this forum.
Blaziken257

Re: Fake Pokémon Green

Post by Blaziken257 »

I've known about this for a while, but here's a video of the bootleg Pokémon Green:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rid9oUJ5iJM

Not surprisingly, the translation is awful. Actually, it's even worse than Diamond and Jade, and that's saying something. In this bootleg, often the words start on one line and end in another. It's really hard to read. And the punctuation is really, really bad too (long spaces between words, for instance). One of the funniest things is the Pokémon names -- as you can see in this video, Charmander is called Shado, and Squirtle is called Torto. I also love how Pokémon are called PET. There are also other videos of this bootleg game, so check them out.

At least the font is better than in Diamond/Jade, and at least you can save.

Code: Select all

But the attack of
   of PEThasn't hi
t home!
StellarWind(imported)

Post by StellarWind(imported) »

I'm sure that you know that PokéMon Green itself was one of the original games - Red and Green - that had so many glitches, a Japanese Blue version that fixed most of them was released, with redrawn sprites and all - and that blue version served as the base for the English Red and Blue versions. Still, I love bootleg translations XDDD They amuse me to death.

Actually I think I can explain why Charmander was 'Shado'. Charmander's Japanese name is Hitokage (which curiously enough directly translates to Salamander - Hi-Tokage. Fire Lizard). However, the word 'Kage' in Japanese means Shadow. Obviously whoever translated this game translated it as 'Fire and Shadow' or something. XD
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Makes me wonder, if Red/Blue was never officially translated and this was all we got, what kind of popularity would Pokémon have had then? XP
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Well, judging from the bad reception that Telefang got, this probably would have had a great reception either. And if Pokémon wasn't well known in the U.S., then the bootlegger probably would have changed the title to resemble some other big RPG.

And yeah, I know that Green was one of the original games. Is THAT why they released Japanese Blue? Just to fix the glitches? Funny thing is, the original Pokémon games are still really, really glitchy... *coughcoughmissingnocoughcough* so it didn't seem to do much. And why did they change Green to Blue outside Japan? Did they just not like Venusaur or something? And even stranger... when FireRed and LeafGreen were released, they kept LeafGreen...
StellarWind(imported)

Post by StellarWind(imported) »

The Japanese Blue was a 'special edition', so to speak, of Red and Green. And while it was glitchy, it was FAR less glitchy than the original Red and Green were. And had marginally better sprites.

The American Red and Blue were translated from the Japanese Blue, and simply had the PokéMon encounter rates edited to their respective Red and Green version counterparts. And I suppose that is why they kept one game's 'Blue' moniker whilst making the other Red.

What with Charizard and Blastoise being Fire and Water (more obvious opposites, I guess)...

As for FireRed and LeafGreen - They were kept that way because American FR/LG derived directly from Japanese FR/LG, and because editing all the graphic and stuff would have been way too much of a hassle. I mean, they used mostly the same lame translations from the original games - right down to the kid who likes shorts because they're comfy and easy to wear. It was obvious they had projects to put a lot more effort into than FR/LG. XP
Zephyr(imported)

Post by Zephyr(imported) »

Hm... actually, the translation here is half decent besides the text-wrapping. At least they form coherent sentences, which is more than Telefang has to offer, although certainly less laughable.

Haha, I find it hilarious that few bootlegged Pokemon versions ever actually say the word "Pokemon." Here, it's PET (which I think comes from Megaman, unless it's just "pet" capitalized), and in the previously posted bootleg crystal video, it was Elf. (And of course everyone rants that Telefang doesn't mention Pokemon, but rather E-mons. But that's because it never was Pokemon in the first place.)

Seems like a pretty direct translation to me, actually. Slip-ups are expected, but it seems pretty unglitchy besides that.
lapeirousia19(imported)

Post by lapeirousia19(imported) »

Yes, I saw that crystal hack.

Pokemon are called Elfs and Prof.Oak is called the ELF MONSTER!!!!! >_>
In that hack:
JIGGLYPUFF = PUD
CHARIZARD = SNAKE
CHARMELEON = CABR (????)
TOTODILE = JET

When you catch a Pokemon,(example=jet)instead of 'Gotcha! JET was caught!'
you see 'success jet caught'!! Not good english..
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote: Well, judging from the bad reception that Telefang got, this probably would have had a great reception either. And if Pokémon wasn't well known in the U.S., then the bootlegger probably would have changed the title to resemble some other big RPG.
To resemble.. TELEFANG!!!
LiamBrady(imported)

Post by LiamBrady(imported) »

The people who translated this game must've used an Online Translator.
I don't think they would hire a professional translator xD
Snugglefox(imported)

Post by Snugglefox(imported) »

Bump!

I aquired a cart of it a few years ago on www.trademe.co.nz.

It's a yellow cart with GAME at the top.
on the chip it has a compartment for the internal battery as opposed to the battery being soldered on in authentic Nintendo carts.

I might upload some pictures soon.

Some of my favorite parts of the bootleg would be the drunk man and the psychic type being called the superman type

Btw: Apparently the reason for the name change in the International versions from Green to Blue was something to do with red vs blue being a popular concept in the US and the whole red and blue states thing.
Also, apparently Nintendo filed a trademark for WaterBlue.