Shui Hu Shen Shou/Sheng Shou Wu Yu

Talk about bootleg games in this forum.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Re: Shui Hu Shen Shou/Sheng Shou Wu Yu

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

These are two bootleg games by V.Fame that share similarities with and appear to run off the same engine as Shi Kong Xing Shou, because of the same overworld/menu/battle screen layout used in them. Both were released in China/Taiwan as GBC games and appear to have had a commercial release, similar to Shi Kong Xing Shou as well. There are even official game guidebooks for them (see below).

Shui Hu Shen Shou is based on a famous piece of Japanese literature called 'Water Margin'. The actual title of the game translates to 'Water Margin Animal'. The game is also known as 'Mythos' and 'Shawu Story' sometimes. Like Shi Kong Xing Shou, you appear to wander around battling and catching various monsters although the game is set in an ancient Chinese era this time round. I'm not sure of the general story however. It was also bootlegged/ported to the NES by a company called Nanjing (as described here).

Gameplay video (by Youtube user NusuttoSan)
Overworld music
Battle music
Another battle song
Poster for the game
Official guidebook for the game
A couple of the monsters in-game
A couple of screenshots
A couple of screenshots of the NES port

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheng Shou Wu Yu (Sacred Story) appears to be a real-time strategy game of some sort. There is not much information about it, but it appears to feature various monsters that you battle. The battle system in this game is different to Shui Hu Shen Shou and Shi Kong Xing Shou, although the menus and overworld are similar in design.

Poster for the game
Screenshots from the game
Official Guidebook
More screenshots, plus info about both games
Selyte(imported)

Post by Selyte(imported) »

The link for see the guidebook of the first game doesn't work D:
The second game seems to have battles like a Digimon game...
Demonlemon(imported)

Post by Demonlemon(imported) »

Cool monsters, if only they hadn't stole a few designs this could have been official
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Sorry about the broken link, i've fixed it now ^^

Some of the sprites look to have been edited from V.Fame's Digimon 3, I can spot Patamon, Kiwimon & Crabmon. The zebra looks like it could be an edit of Ponyta's GB sprite and I think there's also one that looks like a Caterpie? There's also a Magneton-esque monster and a Dragonair lookalike in there too.
Demonlemon(imported)

Post by Demonlemon(imported) »

Top left = guilmon
2 across 5 down = giromon edit
Just to the right of blue patamon = piximon edit
9 across 6 down = electabuzz?
MefistaCenobica(imported)

Post by MefistaCenobica(imported) »

I see mr.mime-ish critter,some squirtle/wartortle hybrid ripoff,tangela and haunter ripoffs,growlithe lookalike,and creature that reminds me of swablu/altaria
She's a Witch!(imported)

Post by She's a Witch!(imported) »

Forgive my laziness in that I *just* inverted everything(except the already colored sprites), but here's a MUCH easier to see version:
Spoiler!
(Oopsies missed a line of black on the right. Ignore that please =/
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Thankyou for the inverted sprite sheet, it's a lot easier to see ^^

With a few of the monsters it's hard to tell whether they're direct edits of existing sprites or whether the bootleggers copied elements from existing sprites and redrew them by hand....Some seem really familiar but don't match the sprites I can think of exactly. The way some of the sprites are squashed up badly in one corner makes me think they tried to draw over the sprites within the original pixel limit of the originals. Also, the sprite at 7,7 looks very similar to the flute playing boy in Shi Kong Xing Shou who appears in the title credits.....
Selyte(imported)

Post by Selyte(imported) »

The last of the first line is a Wormiterala and the last of the fourth lines seems like a Poliwirl...
The seventh of the third line is a weepinbell.
Third of the seventh line seems Hunter.
In the 8th line, the second seems like an Heartless from Kingdom Hearts XD And the last monster of the picture the Yattaman's pig XD But...what's the last monster of the 9th line? o_o
She's a Witch!(imported)

Post by She's a Witch!(imported) »

To me, it looks like the Minimize sprite in GSC. Anyone have that on hand?