Converting to ZetaBoards?

Forum announcements will go in here.
Blaziken257

Re: Converting to ZetaBoards?

Post by Blaziken257 »

LOL, of course you would support upgrading it.

Anyways, if nobody objects to this in two weeks, I'm going to opt in. Of course, opting in won't upgrade the board right away, as ZetaBoards only does this every few months or so (the last round of conversions was on June 10, 2009). And since the one person who opposed the idea never said why, I'm not going to let that prevent me from converting this board.

Oh, and in addition to the default ZetaBoards skin, you're going to see two new skins when/if this board is upgraded -- a dark gray and red one (you can all tell I really like dark skins), which is probably one of the best skins I ever made in my opinion, and a light blue one (yes, you'll finally see a light skin -- and this one will still be easy on the eyes!). I have other ones that I plan to make before the conversion too. You'll just have to see what they are...
Jade(imported)

Post by Jade(imported) »

not worth the conversion, just stay on this board/server.

but meh, can convert if you want to - its your boards, as long as you dont lose my account xD
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Your account will be intact upon conversion. I've never heard of accounts getting glitched upon conversion. And meanwhile, you get to enjoy new features -- like a posting history, a search, avatar galleries, and a lot more.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

All right, even though I said I would convert this board if nobody objected, I haven't done it yet. You see, I talked about this with Sanky recently, and he pointed out a couple of things:

- It's also possible to convert this to Invision Power Board, and doing that will even allow Wiki integration (you know, with Wikifang). (However, the downsides to this are that Invision Power Board isn't free, and IPB might be a bit outdated from what I've heard.)
- There's also a way to convert to another board software, phpBB. There's a phpBB board I visit regularly (it has nothing to do with Telefang, though), so I know a little bit about it. It has some of the same advantages that ZetaBoards has, like avatar galleries, search feature, posting histories, the ability to edit topic titles, and more. And unlike ZetaBoards, you can save drafts of your posts, so if you're in the middle of making a post and need to stop for whatever reason, you can save it so you can come back to it later. And it seems to have support for PHP, which Sanky apparently knows. Cool. The main downside to this is that you need a domain to use it.

However, it is possible to upgrade from ZetaBoards to phpBB, so if we do upgrade to ZetaBoards, it's not the end of the world.

I really don't want to keep this an InvisionFree board. It's flat out outdated, and it doesn't have basic things like searching or looking at your own posting history. And it has other problems too (like the IP issue that's recently come up).
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

InvisionFree to phpBB might not be as clean a transition though, and Invision Power Board probably isn't worth it. I still vote for ZetaBoards.
Blaziken257 wrote: And unlike ZetaBoards, you can save drafts of your posts, so if you're in the middle of making a post and need to stop for whatever reason, you can save it so you can come back to it later.
Actually I found that to be rather annoying. I kept pressing "Save" instead of "Submit".
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

wrote:- It's also possible to convert this to Invision Power Board, and doing that will even allow Wiki integration (you know, with Wikifang). (However, the downsides to this are that Invision Power Board isn't free, and IPB might be a bit outdated from what I've heard.)
Well, in that case, Wikifang would have to move away from Wikia, and I don't think that Milnivri would want that. It isn't really a good idea, in my opinion...
wrote:And it seems to have support for PHP, which Sanky apparently knows. Cool. The main downside to this is that you need a domain to use it.
It doesn't have support for PHP, it's written in PHP. You can edit pretty much every single part of it, if you know how to. About me knowing PHP, actually, I started learning it this school year. There are houndreds of addons though, which tell you exactly what to find and replace with what. It's pretty easy.
wrote:InvisionFree to phpBB might not be as clean a transition though, and Invision Power Board probably isn't worth it. I still vote for ZetaBoards.
That's true, probably. I didn't test the utility. It probably creates a database from the archives, since Invisionfree doesn't give you access to any kind of database. Some data, like posting times, may be lost...
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

All right, I think I'll just opt in to ZetaBoards now. We can still convert this to phpBB if anybody ever supports the idea, after all. It's also possible to create an entirely new board as a last resort (so that the posts on this board won't get messed up).

Keep in mind, though, that just because I opt in, doesn't mean it will happen right away. Conversions come in waves, and they happen every couple of months or so. It is up to the ZetaBoards admins to do this, so beyond opting in, I don't have any control over when it happens. There's also no pattern to when it happens, either, but the last one happened in June.

Here's a list of the past conversions (note: these dates may differ by a day depending on your time zone):

- Round 6 - June 10, 2009
- Round 5 - March 21, 2009
- Round 4 - February 2, 2009
- Round 3 - December 4, 2008
- Round 2 - September 22, 2008
- Round 1 - May 14, 2008

So we'll see when it happens. Given that the last one was a few months ago, the next one might come soon. But since there's no real pattern, it's tough to predict.
Cr1(imported)

Post by Cr1(imported) »

I converted my own forum in the December 2cnd batch, best move I ever made, Zetaboards is newer, more up to date and getting updates and errors fixed by the minutes.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Well, it has come to my attention that Round 7 of conversions has finally come! So it won't be long until this board gets converted to ZetaBoards. Say goodbye to InvisionFree!

Believe me, once we change to ZetaBoards, it's difficult to look back to InvisionFree.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Alright, it seems we've converted..
Hmm..

I'm still too used to the old skin(s), it seems. I may port one of them on ZB.
Once I finish that other skin.