Converting to ZetaBoards?

Forum announcements will go in here.
Blaziken257

Re: Converting to ZetaBoards?

Post by Blaziken257 »

InvisionFree boards (such as this one) can be converted into ZetaBoards. ZetaBoards is the new InvisionFree. InvisionFree is no longer supported, and ZetaBoards fixes most bugs/exploits for InvisionFree (I'm not sure what bugs there are, but that's what I've been told). It's also easier to use and has a new look to it.

Here are some links for more information:

http://support.zetaboards.com/topic/42858/1/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zetaboards

One thing that is a concern is that I've heard that sometimes attached files have been deleted from converting to ZetaBoards. Since this board has a lot of attached files, this would be a problem for accessing them. If this board gets upgraded, I will backup the files on my hard drive before upgrading in case this happens to this board.

I made this a poll to see what other people think of this. Should it be upgraded or not?
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Well, I can see wanting to be up-to-date, but...

As a rule I like to avoid updating/changing programs and sites unless there's a very good reason. In my experience, there's always a risk of something messing up, so you want to weigh your options. :/

Losing attachments would be very annoying, and if it somehow broke the formatting/tags/Japanese text in the translation topic I could foresee Kimbles crying for like....a week. It took many many hours to set it up the first time.

That said, if the new board version has a bunch of features that would be good for the board and everyone else wants to do it, I won't hold you back. :)
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Wouldn't that require a change in url that will leave people wondering where the forums went? Along with DeKaFu's point I can see sufficient reason to vote "Absolutely not".
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

After I used Zetaboards for a while (my class forum), I still found InvisionFree better, although not sure why... but yeah I agree with DeKaFu and andwhyisit. :rolleyes:
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

andwhyisit wrote:Wouldn't that require a change in url that will leave people wondering where the forums went?
It says that it'll make the old URLs redirect to the new board automatically, but yeah, I really have no problems with the board as it is currently. XD Changing it now would just make it weird and possibly ugly, so no thank you. *nod*
swampert22(imported)

Post by swampert22(imported) »

Eh, If it ain't broke, don't fix it :lol:

I can't see any problem with the forum at the moment so, until there are significant problems, I'd say 'No'.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Since you all don't want it converted, I'll leave it as is.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Now, that it's almost a year from creation of ZetaBoards, maybe we could think about converting again.
There don't seem to be any complains, and there's nothing wrong with being up-to-date. Plus, there now seem to be some new features, like a shoutbox, and ability for adding some javascript code, too!
Now, I don't know if there is still the bug with deletion of attached files, but I'd like to reconsider it... What do you think?
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, I'm still thinking about converting this board. I'll have to look into that attached files bug and see if it's been fixed. A lot of files are on MediaFire, anyway. And didn't you archive this board?

And besides, it has some new features, like:

- An actual search feature! (As opposed to the crappy "temporary" Google one.)
- Less strict image limits -- admins can choose the image-per-post limit, which is much better than it is now (IIRC, the maximum is 100, as opposed to 10 now)
- You can also have much longer topic titles too (here, it's way too short)
- People can edit topic titles (On InvisionFree, only admins can)
- Ability to view your own posting history (on InvisionFree, you can only view topics you created, not every post)
- Selecting multiple skins is easier (doesn't require a custom drop down bar like here, and it relies on usernames, not cookies)

I know there are other benefits, I just forget them all. There's a comprehensive list somewhere on the ZetaBoards site, but I forget where it is. If I find it, I'll post it here.

Also, I've never heard of Unicode characters breaking either.

There's one disadvantage, though. The character-per-post limit seems to be lowered from 60,000 to 50,000, with no way to adjust it. Since I KNOW at least one post has over 50,000 characters, this will likely cause problems when converting. Not to mention future posts will suffer too...

EDIT: If you want to see what ZetaBoards is like, try this board -- Sanky joined it a while ago (though he never posted as far as I know). CrashManEXE (who was here at one point) owns this board. Not to mention that some people on that board like Telefang :) (and a few other people on that board have posted here for a short time...).
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

wrote:There's one disadvantage, though. The character-per-post limit seems to be lowered from 60,000 to 50,000, with no way to adjust it. Since I KNOW at least one post has over 50,000 characters, this will likely cause problems when converting.
I belive that old posts will stay as they are. It's just moving the sql database, right?
wrote:EDIT: If you want to see what ZetaBoards is like, try this board -- Sanky joined it a while ago (though he never posted as far as I know). CrashManEXE (who was here at one point) owns this board. Not to mention that some people on that board like Telefang :) (and a few other people on that board have posted here for a short time...).
Yeah, I hope we won't have that ugly and annoying "welcome text" for users that aren't logged in though...
And I posted a little, to see how different it is from invisionfree... And I have to say, not much. XD

EDIT: http://if.invisionfree.com/topic/5030621/1/#post8086724
wrote:Conversions of calendar events and uploaded files have been corrected.
Yaaay!