Join the Telefang Discord! Come chat with the community!

Forum announcements will go in here.
Sanqui

Join the Telefang Discord! Come chat with the community!

Post by Sanqui »

Join the Telefang Discord!

Alternatively, read on to learn about IRC, an older method of chatting...

===

So have you just stumbled upon this forum and noticed that it's pretty much dead? Do you check monthly to see if there's any activity, but no dice?

I have good news for you! We have a chat and sometimes, we're active there.

Okay the real reason I'm posting this is I noticed we have no post describing how to get on IRC at all and I think that's a mistake. So!

To chat, we use IRC. IRC is an ancient protocol compatible with every computer, phone, and Nintendo DS out there. If you knew that and just want to get on, the details are irc.tcrf.net #telefang.
If you didn't, have no fear, you can chat from the comfort of your browser using KiwiIRC or if that fails for some reason, Mibbit! If you'd like to upgrade to a desktop client, I personally recommend HexChat.

Idling on IRC. Even though we're online on IRC, we can't sit there and chat 24/7. When you stop by, don't expect there to be activity. Feel free to say hello, and don't quit when nobody replies after a few minutes! We come from all around the world and have lives. It's recommended to just stay around and wait until somebody else comes up!

Have fun chatting!

---

You can view more information about IRC on Wikifang. If you need any help getting on or have any questions, feel free to ask in this topic!
Last edited by Sanqui on Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
DaVince

Re: JOIN #TELEFANG!

Post by DaVince »

This gives me a thought. If there's any compact, embeddable IRC client out there we could include it somewhere on the site or forums. Well, the Kiwi/Mibbit links help a lot though. :)
Imaynotbehere4long

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

Sanky wrote:Idling on IRC. Even though we're online on IRC, we can't sit there and chat 24/7. When you stop by, don't expect there to be activity. Feel free to say hello, and don't quit when nobody replies after a few minutes!
About this: isn't there some universal way to send notifications to IRC users, even if they're not active? So if one person is on, he/she can do something to send some kind of automated message to someone else saying "there's someone on IRC who wants to contact you" or something. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works.

I think it's called pinging or poking or something like that.

Edit:
DaVince wrote:This gives me a thought. If there's any compact, embeddable IRC client out there we could include it somewhere on the site or forums. Well, the Kiwi/Mibbit links help a lot though. :)
You mean something like the Shoutbox? Seems like the Shoutbox already serves a similar purpose (except it's only on the front page).
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

Yeah, like the shoutbox. Except I was thinking it'd have the opposite effect: people normally idling on IRC would be idling on the forums at the same time, hopefully causing a *little* more activity here. Thing is, other than a panel to the left or right of the forums, I wouldn't know what would be a good position for it... (Other than something like Facebook or Hangouts' little chat windows at the bottom right of the view...

In order to hopefully get a *little* more activity, though, telefang.net itself now also points to a useful "latest posts" (or really just a "posts made today") link.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:About this: isn't there some universal way to send notifications to IRC users, even if they're not active? So if one person is on, he/she can do something to send some kind of automated message to someone else saying "there's someone on IRC who wants to contact you" or something. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works.

I think it's called pinging or poking or something like that.
You can say somebody's name and usually it will notify them. But ultimately it depends on the settings people have. I can usually see new messages when I'm on my computer because I can see my IRC client and have #telefang light up. On the other hand I remember for example RacieB having beeps on new messages.

There's no universal way to ping the entire channel, you can say everybody's name, but often times on IRC that's considered rude or grounds for a ban :P
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

An IRC bot that emails peoples' registered accounts would be neat... if that's possible (need access to the email address)... or even allowed. :P
Imaynotbehere4long

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

One more question: is it possible for users to check IRC logs, even if said user wasn't active at the time? That way, people can see the conversations others had and at what time they had them.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Not normal users no, I think Sanky logs though? I've been brainstorming some integration ideas with the forums though.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

A public automatic archive would be nice. Hey Birdbot, want an increase to your workload? :P
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Would you just love to chat with fellow T-Fangers, but IRC simply doesn't cut the cake? Well I have good news for you: the Tulunk and Telefang community now has a Discord server!

Join the Telefang Discord here!

Conversely, is Discord is too newfangled for you, you can continue using IRC as regular. Messages are conveniently being relayed by a bot.